ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel Router wi-fi range?  (Read 16016 times)

Stan Shields

Travel Router wi-fi range?
« on: October 08, 2015, 06:12:30 PM »

Anybody have any experience using one of those small travel routers? Just running a Soundcraft mixer with an iPad.
Any thoughts on if the range would be comparable to a typical home/office style router?
Does the communication between an iPad and a mixer (no other devices) require much throughput? or is it a low-bandwidth application?
Stan

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Travel Router wi-fi range?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 07:20:20 PM »

Anybody have any experience using one of those small travel routers? Just running a Soundcraft mixer with an iPad.
Any thoughts on if the range would be comparable to a typical home/office style router?
Does the communication between an iPad and a mixer (no other devices) require much throughput? or is it a low-bandwidth application?
Stan

You are asking if some unknown device will perform better than some other unknown device? Really?

My thoughts are that you should state specific brand and model.

How do you plan to use it?

What do you need? What are your constraints? Size, price, power draw? Come on, ask a question someone can answer.

Yes, I am grumpy today 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:22:57 PM by Rob Spence »
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 08:00:55 PM »

Stan
A typical home/office style router is very portable - I take my cisco E2500 with me as a spare to my Airport Express. I can almost put it in my pocket and the Airport Express will DEFINITELY fit in my pocket. So why would you need a travel style router when they are so small anyway???
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 06:01:47 AM »

A typical home/office style router is very portable - I take my cisco E2500 with me as a spare to my Airport Express. I can almost put it in my pocket and the Airport Express will DEFINITELY fit in my pocket. So why would you need a travel style router when they are so small anyway???
The Airport Express is what I use.
Compact and works in 2.4 qnd 5 gig bands.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Stan Shields

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 10:04:42 AM »

Right, it sounds trivial but I'm always looking for smaller, lighter, simpler. The Netgear I use now has a wall wart with a cheesy cable, flimsy antennas, etc. The travel routers look appealing because they plug in without a wall wart and are small and solid, take up less space. Just not sure if they would work as well as a "real" router. For what they cost I guess I could take one for a spin and report back...
Stan

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 12:56:37 PM »

Right, it sounds trivial but I'm always looking for smaller, lighter, simpler. The Netgear I use now has a wall wart with a cheesy cable, flimsy antennas, etc. The travel routers look appealing because they plug in without a wall wart and are small and solid, take up less space. Just not sure if they would work as well as a "real" router. For what they cost I guess I could take one for a spin and report back...
Stan

The Airport Express doesn't have a wall wart and is tiny.... AND very reliable.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 01:50:56 PM »

+1 on the Airport Express.
I have 4 total and they are rock solid, small and no wall wart. They are even simple to extend range wirelessly if needed.
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 01:56:38 PM »

The Airport Express doesn't have a wall wart and is tiny.... AND very reliable.

Oh ..... And no external antennas...

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 02:35:37 PM »

Oh ..... And no external antennas...

Is that a benefit? 😉
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Stan Shields

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 02:50:06 PM »

Is that a benefit? 😉

It is for me, easier to pack, less things to break.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 02:50:06 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.