ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: First Gig with SRX818's  (Read 28378 times)

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: First Gig with SRX818's
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 01:50:31 PM »

Seems like a low gain being sent issue or a setting in the DSP. It's still confusing.
I agree, this sounds like a kludge fix for a gain staging issue. At best, the two summed inputs are raising the gain by 6dB. I'd recommend a single input, and raise the gain of the mixer output feeding them 6dB.

People who think the SRX800P series are lacking output most likely aren't feeding them properly.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 03:33:44 PM »

My experience was different!   I have bought 4 covers with great service.....buying  4-srx712, mrx512 covers soon!

As I said in the other thread, I have been using Larry for years and must have purchased a dozen or so covers form him with no issues. This was a first - but there is still no excuse to be so unprofessional and handle things so poorly .....AND he kept my shipping money!...
Just Saying...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 09:29:49 PM »

I agree, this sounds like a kludge fix for a gain staging issue. At best, the two summed inputs are raising the gain by 6dB. I'd recommend a single input, and raise the gain of the mixer output feeding them 6dB.

People who think the SRX800P series are lacking output most likely aren't feeding them properly.

I also agree it's a little goofy to have to do this, but I prefer this over turning my tops down (they're at the 12 o'clock indent), and running my board in the red.

I still have some testing to do on these boxes but I'm feeling very good about the sound quality and output. I forgot to mention that I set the crossover filter at 80 Hz. I thought it was a little too boomy at 100 Hz, and I run my tops (15's) in their "Mains" setting (full-range). The combo really sounded great the other night. I also need to get back there and look at the meters. If I'm not mistaken there is an input and output meter that can be viewed from the lcd screen.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 10:09:42 PM »

I also agree it's a little goofy to have to do this, but I prefer this over turning my tops down (they're at the 12 o'clock indent), and running my board in the red.

I still have some testing to do on these boxes but I'm feeling very good about the sound quality and output. I forgot to mention that I set the crossover filter at 80 Hz. I thought it was a little too boomy at 100 Hz, and I run my tops (15's) in their "Mains" setting (full-range). The combo really sounded great the other night. I also need to get back there and look at the meters. If I'm not mistaken there is an input and output meter that can be viewed from the lcd screen.

Steve, I suspect the default is for 26dB of amp gain.  Back in the Yee Olde Dayz we used amps with very high input sensitivities - Crown had an option for 0.775V for full output - and we got used to not running our analog mixers over +4dBu (or considerably lower) even though their output capability was on the order of +18dBu or more.  This left us some decent headroom at the mixer (and some of the old mixers needed that) but many users wanted either less self-noise or liked the sound of inter-stage clipping of mixers and turned the amps down or lowered crossover input/output levels.  "Running in the red" became acceptable.

To this day it continues but digital mixers typically reference DBFS, where "0 DB" is, in fact, Full Tilt Boogie and represents a level around +20dBu or more.  I think this is the model of operation JBL is anticipating.  It's about having a product that won't blow up when the purchaser or user hits it Really F'ing Hard.  By requiring software and networking JBL has a "competence filter" that helps eliminates the lesser-qualified folk from messing with settings they are not qualified to change.  Like any form of idiot proofing there will be determined and better idiots coming along but for now it takes a bit of thought (why & how) to alter the factory plans.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 10:12:38 PM »

But I am wondering what I should set mine to…. Steve, you said you use the 'main' setting on the tops. The subs and the tops each have the 'SRX TOP/SUB' setting and I am a bit confused about this.
The first time I tried them together at home, I used the same principle I have been using with my PRX718's and I set the sub to 'SRX TOP'  to tell it to HP to the tops. Then I set the SRX815 to main (so that only the HP in the sub would be in use). However, I was still getting a lot of low frequencies through the tops. I then set them to 'SRX SUB' and it sounded fine.
What settings should I be using when running the SRX815's and the SRX828 together??
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 10:17:03 PM »

Did you say you have the PRX615 top? 12 o'clock is +4

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2015, 11:18:36 PM »

When running my ITechs with SRX 715's biamped I cannot   follow the processing parameters of the dbx 4800. I have to run the bandpass gains at > 0db or I will clip the inputs well before the outputs. This is with my amps input sensitivities set to 26db. Never really understood this.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2015, 11:23:46 PM »

But I am wondering what I should set mine to…. Steve, you said you use the 'main' setting on the tops. The subs and the tops each have the 'SRX TOP/SUB' setting and I am a bit confused about this.
The first time I tried them together at home, I used the same principle I have been using with my PRX718's and I set the sub to 'SRX TOP'  to tell it to HP to the tops. Then I set the SRX815 to main (so that only the HP in the sub would be in use). However, I was still getting a lot of low frequencies through the tops. I then set them to 'SRX SUB' and it sounded fine.
What settings should I be using when running the SRX815's and the SRX828 together??

The SRX subs do not have a highpassed xlr out. You should use your SRX tops with the highpass engaged as you are doing.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2015, 11:38:22 PM »

When running my ITechs with SRX 715's biamped I cannot   follow the processing parameters of the dbx 4800. I have to run the bandpass gains at > 0db or I will clip the inputs well before the outputs. This is with my amps input sensitivities set to 26db. Never really understood this.

That is not unusual.  For example in VerTec v4.2 (the last available for the original I-Techs) the band pass gains (4889 model) were all >0 - the HF & MF are +2, LF and subs +10.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Garris

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2015, 12:05:46 AM »

Steve, I suspect the default is for 26dB of amp gain.  Back in the Yee Olde Dayz we used amps with very high input sensitivities - Crown had an option for 0.775V for full output - and we got used to not running our analog mixers over +4dBu (or considerably lower) even though their output capability was on the order of +18dBu or more.  This left us some decent headroom at the mixer (and some of the old mixers needed that) but many users wanted either less self-noise or liked the sound of inter-stage clipping of mixers and turned the amps down or lowered crossover input/output levels.  "Running in the red" became acceptable.

To this day it continues but digital mixers typically reference DBFS, where "0 DB" is, in fact, Full Tilt Boogie and represents a level around +20dBu or more.  I think this is the model of operation JBL is anticipating.  It's about having a product that won't blow up when the purchaser or user hits it Really F'ing Hard.  By requiring software and networking JBL has a "competence filter" that helps eliminates the lesser-qualified folk from messing with settings they are not qualified to change.  Like any form of idiot proofing there will be determined and better idiots coming along but for now it takes a bit of thought (why & how) to alter the factory plans.

Thanks Tim, I'm starting to understand this a little better. I need to learn more about this stuff.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2015, 12:05:46 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.