ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: First Gig with SRX818's  (Read 28379 times)

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
Re: First Gig with SRX818's
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »

Do you think that would even help?   A hammer that smashes them in the head isn't enough sometimes.

LOL! So true.

A contract I drafted a couple months ago for a two day festival stipulated, that the promoter would pay for damage done to my equipment from incompetent BE's. There were three or four out of ten that ran the rig into limit the whole show. Terrible gain staging,and bad sound through a great system. I mixed a few acts and could achieve much higher SPL and solid sound with over 20db of headroom!

Scott Bolt

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 09:16:19 PM »

I had my first gig with my new pair of SRX818sp's last night, and it went very well. I will say now that the SRX cabinets produce a lot of thump and very low extension. It is a noticeable step up from my PRX618xlf's. I ran them with my PRX615's pole mounted above, and the system was well balanced and sounded great. The band was Hair Nation, an 80's hair-metal band (4 piece) that I work for regularly.

If you read my previous posts, when I first received these boxes I was concerned about the output. They did not match my PRX boxes in overall volume with the volume set to full (+12). The remedy was to simply use a Y-cable and use both inputs, which gave me an estimated 3 db additional volume.

I was also having trouble with the form factor. My PRX boxes stood tall, with a single handle centered in the side, so they were easy to dead-lift into my van. I've had to learn how to move the lower, flatter 818's, which weigh about 5 lb more. I don't notice the weight difference, but with the 818's dual handles on each side, the design was certainly intended as a 2-man job. My solution is to move, load, and store them on their sides. I can dead-lift the 818 by picking it up from the top, using one handle on each side (diagonally), and just lifting it into my van. The down-side of this is the sides are already getting dinged up. I've never needed them before, but I'm going to purchase covers for these.

A few other minor things: The duller, flatter finish is not as good as my PRX finishes. I think the complicated "system control panel" could be better, with more simplified settings - without having to connect it to a computer to make changes. The one positive I see here is that the software has a "version" and will likely be up-gradable. Lastly, this thing does not have a power light on the front - WTF?

Pluses:
More Output (A very good step up from the PRX)
Lower extension (noticeable)
V-Lock IEC cord

Minuses:
Complicated Control Panel
Awkward Form Factor
No Front Light
Finish not as good

The pluses above far outweigh the minus, so I'm going to sell my PRX sub's and probably upgrade to the SRX tops next year.
Thanks for the review!  At about $100 more than the PRX, it seems like a no brainer then.

Does it really make sense for JBL to offer two such similar products that are so close in price?

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 09:57:49 PM »

I dunno, I think having a nice big, red limit light on the FRONT of the cabinet would be ideal for the typical  BE that has no clue.
Isn't that when the speaker is working right?    ::)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 01:18:57 AM »

I got some covers for my SRX800 from Larry @ www.lecover.com....Great pricing!

Yep - Great Pricing - but not so good in the customer service department these days it would seem.....Good job you didn't need SRX815 covers....

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,156170.0.html
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 01:25:35 AM »

I dunno, I think having a nice big, red limit light on the FRONT of the cabinet would be ideal for the typical  BE that has no clue.
I've always wondered why they didn't put the limit light on the front (or at least a switch to make it that way). Of course, with the SRX800, you can monitor the limiter (and anything else) in Audio Architect.

I've always hated power lights on the front of cabinets - they get the black gaff treatment.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Akki Serd

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 03:16:36 AM »

this confuses me somewhat. Is this a JBL recommendation?
I was confused by same in one of the old threads but never got an answer 😑

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thomas bryant

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 07:38:21 AM »

Yep - Great Pricing - but not so good in the customer service department these days it would seem.....Good job you didn't need SRX815 covers....

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,156170.0.html
My experience was different!   I have bought 4 covers with great service.....buying  4-srx712, mrx512 covers soon!

8 gigs with 2-812/818, comp gain +10 on 812's and +15 on 818's with aux subs on my DL1608.  Great balance between the subs and the tops.  When the dance floor fills up I increase the aux bass and kick.  A sound engineer from Grand Rapids MI ran sound Sat and loved my new rig, old rig was 712/718.  The gas M20 poles (JBL) and tripod stands from Ultimate are great too!
The 812's have a fuller sound in the 12" i.e. Bigger box, bass guitar and vocals sound great!  The sub kicks butt too.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 10:04:45 AM »

My experience was different!   I have bought 4 covers with great service.....buying  4-srx712, mrx512 covers soon!

8 gigs with 2-812/818, comp gain +10 on 812's and +15 on 818's with aux subs on my DL1608.  Great balance between the subs and the tops.  When the dance floor fills up I increase the aux bass and kick.  A sound engineer from Grand Rapids MI ran sound Sat and loved my new rig, old rig was 712/718.  The gas M20 poles (JBL) and tripod stands from Ultimate are great too!
The 812's have a fuller sound in the 12" i.e. Bigger box, bass guitar and vocals sound great!  The sub kicks butt too.
I don't have the SRX818SP, but I am running SRX812P. Those comp makeup gains seem high to me. I usually run these at +6dB, and they coast while pushing 110-115dBA(slow) averages and 130dbA(slow) peaks measured at 50' back (the mixer output levels were peaking at -10dBfs). The subs were off for my initial measurement. My typical configuration is Input Gain at 0, Output Gain at 0, with a +6 makeup gain on the input comp. Alternatively, Input Gain at 0, and Output Gain at +6 with no makeup gain provides exactly the same output levels (perhaps with a lower limiting threshold according to Luke G. - I haven't tested that, yet).

I absolutely love the new SRX series. The 812 sounds great by itself, and get even better when the subs are added to the mix.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Steve Garris

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 12:39:40 PM »

I was confused by same in one of the old threads but never got an answer 😑

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I don't know what you're confused about. All I'm saying is that by plugging into both inputs my 818's now have more output than the PRX 18, so yes I would recommend these JBL sub's.

kel mcguire

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 01:11:40 PM »

I don't know what you're confused about. All I'm saying is that by plugging into both inputs my 818's now have more output than the PRX 18, so yes I would recommend these JBL sub's.

Seems like a low gain being sent issue or a setting in the DSP. It's still confusing. You shouldn't need both line driver amp circuits or to split the output from a mixer into both inputs. Wont hurt anything but its sort of like plugging into two channels of a mixing board, thinking you'll get more output. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 01:11:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.