ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: First Gig with SRX818's  (Read 28683 times)

Steve Garris

First Gig with SRX818's
« on: October 05, 2015, 12:05:50 AM »

I had my first gig with my new pair of SRX818sp's last night, and it went very well. I will say now that the SRX cabinets produce a lot of thump and very low extension. It is a noticeable step up from my PRX618xlf's. I ran them with my PRX615's pole mounted above, and the system was well balanced and sounded great. The band was Hair Nation, an 80's hair-metal band (4 piece) that I work for regularly.

If you read my previous posts, when I first received these boxes I was concerned about the output. They did not match my PRX boxes in overall volume with the volume set to full (+12). The remedy was to simply use a Y-cable and use both inputs, which gave me an estimated 3 db additional volume.

I was also having trouble with the form factor. My PRX boxes stood tall, with a single handle centered in the side, so they were easy to dead-lift into my van. I've had to learn how to move the lower, flatter 818's, which weigh about 5 lb more. I don't notice the weight difference, but with the 818's dual handles on each side, the design was certainly intended as a 2-man job. My solution is to move, load, and store them on their sides. I can dead-lift the 818 by picking it up from the top, using one handle on each side (diagonally), and just lifting it into my van. The down-side of this is the sides are already getting dinged up. I've never needed them before, but I'm going to purchase covers for these.

A few other minor things: The duller, flatter finish is not as good as my PRX finishes. I think the complicated "system control panel" could be better, with more simplified settings - without having to connect it to a computer to make changes. The one positive I see here is that the software has a "version" and will likely be up-gradable. Lastly, this thing does not have a power light on the front - WTF?

Pluses:
More Output (A very good step up from the PRX)
Lower extension (noticeable)
V-Lock IEC cord

Minuses:
Complicated Control Panel
Awkward Form Factor
No Front Light
Finish not as good

The pluses above far outweigh the minus, so I'm going to sell my PRX sub's and probably upgrade to the SRX tops next year.

Andrew Zannetos

Re: First Gig with SRX818's
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 12:34:46 AM »

I've found that with lifting the SRX818sp into a car, it is easiest (at least for me) to grab both handles of one side, tip it a bit (length-wise), brace the the bottom edge of the cabinet on my thighs (while squatting) and doing a rear deltoid row in order to pull the cabinet to a leveled position at hip-height. I then lean slightly to put part of the cabinet inside the back, then push the rest of it in.

Tom Bryant

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:33:56 AM »

I had my first gig with my new pair of SRX818sp's last night, and it went very well. I will say now that the SRX cabinets produce a lot of thump and very low extension. It is a noticeable step up from my PRX618xlf's. I ran them with my PRX615's pole mounted above, and the system was well balanced and sounded great. The band was Hair Nation, an 80's hair-metal band (4 piece) that I work for regularly.

If you read my previous posts, when I first received these boxes I was concerned about the output. They did not match my PRX boxes in overall volume with the volume set to full (+12). The remedy was to simply use a Y-cable and use both inputs, which gave me an estimated 3 db additional volume.

I was also having trouble with the form factor. My PRX boxes stood tall, with a single handle centered in the side, so they were easy to dead-lift into my van. I've had to learn how to move the lower, flatter 818's, which weigh about 5 lb more. I don't notice the weight difference, but with the 818's dual handles on each side, the design was certainly intended as a 2-man job. My solution is to move, load, and store them on their sides. I can dead-lift the 818 by picking it up from the top, using one handle on each side (diagonally), and just lifting it into my van. The down-side of this is the sides are already getting dinged up. I've never needed them before, but I'm going to purchase covers for these.

A few other minor things: The duller, flatter finish is not as good as my PRX finishes. I think the complicated "system control panel" could be better, with more simplified settings - without having to connect it to a computer to make changes. The one positive I see here is that the software has a "version" and will likely be up-gradable. Lastly, this thing does not have a power light on the front - WTF?

Pluses:
More Output (A very good step up from the PRX)
Lower extension (noticeable)
V-Lock IEC cord

Minuses:
Complicated Control Panel
Awkward Form Factor
No Front Light
Finish not as good

The pluses above far outweigh the minus, so I'm going to sell my PRX sub's and probably upgrade to the SRX tops next year.
I got some covers for my SRX800 from Larry @ www.lecover.com....Great pricing!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:06:14 AM by Tom Bryant »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 10:23:14 AM »

I got some covers for my SRX800 from Larry @ levover.com....Great pricing!

Check URL? Doesn't work... =-\

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tom Bryant

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 11:06:50 AM »

Check URL? Doesn't work... =-\

-Ray

Fixed!

John Chiara

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 02:56:07 PM »

kel mcguire

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 06:02:30 PM »

this confuses me somewhat. Is this a JBL recommendation?

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 06:07:53 PM »

Lastly, this thing does not have a power light on the front - WTF?

I see that as a good thing.  The speaker is supposed to make sound, not be part of your light show.  If I use powered speakers that I can't turn off the light, I put a piece of tape over it.
Brian Jojade

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 06:17:36 PM »

I see that as a good thing.  The speaker is supposed to make sound, not be part of your light show.  If I use powered speakers that I can't turn off the light, I put a piece of tape over it.

I dunno, I think having a nice big, red limit light on the FRONT of the cabinet would be ideal for the typical  BE that has no clue.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 06:40:59 PM »

I dunno, I think having a nice big, red limit light on the FRONT of the cabinet would be ideal for the typical  BE that has no clue.

Do you think that would even help?   A hammer that smashes them in the head isn't enough sometimes.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 06:40:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.