ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm impressed by a band! How about you?  (Read 2814 times)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
I'm impressed by a band! How about you?
« on: October 04, 2015, 11:49:40 pm »

Recently I had the joy of mixing sound for the Mad Caddies! They are a local band for me and have commercial success in the Reggae, Punk and Ska genre's. I was a teenager about the time they became popular. Incidentally I helped set up a sound system that they played through about 13 years ago for another local show. I was only the tech then. Fast forward and I gotta say I'm impressed.

They came to the venue ready to go and did it for swag ( no money ). The gig was a private party for the Sonos Co. headquarters in Santa Barbara. Sonos is doing a once a month private show at the venue I regularly do sound at. Needless to say the Mad Caddies had a great attitude, were easy to work with and could articulate their needs very well. Get through sound check and off they go.

One other thing I was very impressed about was their need for little to no monitoring! They were about average in SPL for backline, but required very little monitor compared to other acts. So little in fact that I, having a momentary lapse of ability to do my job, forgot to turn the monitors on at the start of the show and they didn't even notice. I turned them on finally about mid way through the second song.  I apologized for my lack of quality at the end of the show and they said they didn't even know. They thought it sounded great and everyone had a good time!

We usually get to hear about things that bother you and recently there was a thread on good things about shows you've done. I have yet to see one where a particular band is pin pointed for their level of poise, couth and professionalism. Another band I had the joy of working with was a Punk band out of LA called El Nada. Very nice and very good musicians that deserve a shout out. Lets hear about who has impressed you.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Dustin Campbell

Re: I'm impressed by a band! How about you?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 11:30:52 am »

Mad Caddies are a great band - glad to hear they are still rocking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Banning CA,

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 01:03:40 pm »

Now corporate gigs are unpaid?  WTH?  A company like Sonos throwing a private party and the expect the band to live off of swag sales?  I hope you got paid.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 04:04:37 pm »

Now corporate gigs are unpaid?  WTH?  A company like Sonos throwing a private party and the expect the band to live off of swag sales?  I hope you got paid.

If the SWAG was a complete sound system with mixer, speakers, microphones, cables, etc. I'd take the gig.

Unless you can resell it, SWAG doesn't keep the lights on or put food on the table.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:08:20 pm by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 06:04:34 pm »

I got paid yes. The band members each got a sound bar, or some form of sound related system from them. Considering even their basic small single speaker unit costs about $200 retail, I'm sure they were well compensated in regards to time for the money. They were flown as needed, put up in a hotel room ( very expensive in Santa Barbara ) and of course given an open tab at the bar. They did a 45 min set that spanned all of their discography.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound, Harrisburg, PA
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 06:15:35 pm »

What is this SWAG thing you speak of? It must be a west coast thing. The only thing free around here is the occasional benefit/fund-raiser show where bands play for free, but stage production gets paid.

EDIT: Although, I would probably work for free if my buddy had cancer or something. I do have compassion.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 06:19:20 pm by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 06:44:31 pm »

I initially thought Luke meant the band had the opportunity to sell their swag.  But I see that they got product (which costs the company considerably less than retail and may even be non-resellable pre-production samples, I know we have piles of that stuff around at my job) and comped travel & lodging.  So, it beats a t-shirt and a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.  Not the same as the old 3-5k corporate gig though.
It's great when a band has their thing together and all you have to do it make it louder and they go from there.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 02:44:26 am »

What is this SWAG thing you speak of?
Means something different in the UK.  Here it's goods gained by less than legal means...

This is the stereotypical burglar complete with stripey top and face mask.

Steve.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:58:25 pm by Steve M Smith »

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 02:08:32 pm »

What is this SWAG thing you speak of?

SWAG comes from the entertainment industry, which is heavily weighted to the west coast of the United States. It's an acronym for Stuff We All Get, referencing the goody bags of free crap that are given to everyone participating in the innumerable self-aggrandizing awards shows produced by the industry.

(There are so many awards shows, I'm surprised there isn't an awards show to glorify awards shows. Maybe they could call it "The Selfies.")

It can also refer to the bags of pens, buttons, T-shirts, and other inexpensive Chinese-manufactured trinkets preprinted with corporate logos that you can collect in the exhibition halls of various industry trade shows.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:14:25 pm by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 02:08:32 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.