ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on well funded lounge dwellers  (Read 8489 times)

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
Re: Question on well funded lounge dwellers
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 02:51:47 PM »

Is that atheistics as in "God, they're ugly as sin!" or did you mean aesthetics?

LOL both for church groups, for us sinners, aesthetics.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 03:17:43 PM »

What does he charge the client for this gig? Is it comparable to what you would charge? Or would you charge less?  If you charge less simply because you don't NEED the income, then I would say you're undercutting him. But if you charge a reasonably similar fee and just bring better equipment, that's his problem not yours. 

I'm in a somewhat similar situation as you.  I own a systems integration business, but I still get asked to provide and run sound for previous clients.  My fees have gone up rather than down now that I don't rely on the sound business for income.  It helps weed out the people that I would rather not work with. My clients have gotten better, they appreciate me more, and the gigs are overall much more enjoyable.  And if I lose gigs because my prices are too high, that's perfectly fine by me.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 06:25:12 PM »

And he's the guy who sent you the gig. Now he's upset you did a good job? Really?

Exactly!

It's not like there was a deliberate attempt made to "steal" a client.  I presume that guy is free to subcontract the same system and operator again.  So, nothing unethical has occurred, IMHO.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Lyle Williams

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 04:50:31 AM »

In a year's time he will either be out of business, or recognise that night as the moment he got a kick in the pants and stepped up a level.

David Allred

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 07:50:58 AM »

Seems to me that every viewpoint is right.  All based on perspective, though.
Someone takes your good paying job for 3/4 the money because he has less overhead.  You take someone's good paying job because you "believe in the cause" of a fundraiser and will do it for free.  My kids need food so I will work for what you want to pay me and the other guy stood his ground and refused.  A wide-eyed kid fresh out of high school that has his old band's PA, wants to get into sound reinforcement purely for the love of it, and the hopes of being asked to tour with a band.  My overhead won't allow me to do anything at less than my established fees without closing up shop.

I suspect that MOST of those here have been on both sides of this issue, at one time or another.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 08:40:09 AM »

McDonalds selling a McCrappy meal for $2.00 (or whatever it actually is) has no effect on the high class restaurant charging $100s.  There is room for everyone.

Steve.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2015, 11:27:09 AM »

Also, no one should feel guilty about being able to afford better gear than the next guy. We all make choices in our lives that determine how well we end up financially.  (unless Daddy left you a trust fund)

My 1st job back in 1982 paid $3.80/hr. I worked very hard since then to be able to now afford whatever gear I want. If I was doing this just for fun and not trying to turn it into a fulltime gig for early retirement income, I'd probably be running a Danley Rig for bar gigs right now. But I wouldn't feel guilty about the fact the others guy can't afford it. He made his own life choices.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 03:21:37 PM »

Ultimately, at whatever level you are operating, we are a SERVICE business.  And a service business first and foremost is about relationships.  If you know how to develop and maintain excellent working relationships with people they don't jump ship to your competitor on a whim, regardless of how nice and shiny the other guy's ship is.

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 03:39:44 PM »

Any business model based on what someone else should do is doomed to fail.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 03:39:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.