ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Favorite speaker system to mix on in a theatre?

D&B V System
- 17 (60.7%)
L-Acoustics Kara
- 8 (28.6%)
Meyer Leopard
- 3 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite speaker system to mix on in a theatre  (Read 12575 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Favorite speaker system to mix on in a theatre
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 06:11:56 AM »

I don't see the poll so I've got no idea what the choices are so I'll echo Jean-Pierre's comment:  all things being equal, buy the system that comes from the dealer/installer with the best service/support reputation.  Remember that you all have to live with it (possibly for as long as 15 - 20 years), your consultant doesn't.

Options are:
- d& b V
- Kara
- Leopard
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 09:20:52 AM »

Success comes from:

1 - Gear ...and manufacturer commitment.

2 - Integrator ...and integrator commitment.

And not necessarily in that order.

Nathan Ihlenfeldt

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 02:04:41 PM »

Options are:
- d& b V
- Kara
- Leopard

It's worth adding that Kara and Leopard are more comparable to d&b Y-Series. This is also a dual 8", two way system with similar performance/size/output characteristics.

Malek Pallie

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 08:04:24 PM »

Thanks for all the thoughtful and insightful feedback, guys!

I will update you when a decision is made.

Cheers! 

Ted Christensen

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 08:21:21 PM »

Has this question been asked before? Of course! But...I am helping the management of a large (3500 seats) performing arts style space which is looking to upgrade their FOH system make this decision, and they are getting a lot of conflicting information from different vendors about what is the "best" system for them.

Floor is approximately 220' wide at the widest and 120' deep, balcony is 250' at the widest and 75' deep. Ceiling height from deck to ceiling is 75'.

I am of the opinion that any professional product that is well deployed will work for their needs, but of course, there are vendors who would like them to be married to the particular brand which they deal in, and so they sell it as "the best".

This space hosts a variety of events, including classical orchestras, rock, bluegrass, and pop bands, and spoken word events, so versatility is important.

The bids which are being considered at this phase are all the same configuration (for a fair comparison, as much as is possible):

- 2 hangs of 12 boxes each side
- 4 front fills on stage
- Subs on the floor

Presumably, a 48in 16 out console will be part of the upgrade (but that is a subject for another post).

Did I miss anything? 

I would like as many professional mix engineers as possible on this forum to vote so that I can either show that I am wrong and there actually is one brand which most engineers prefer, or that the preferences at this level of product are quite evenly spread out based on personal taste.

Thanks all!

Why go kara when you can go k2??
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Malek Pallie

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 04:56:57 PM »

Why go kara when you can go k2??

Due to site-lines, we can't go with a wider box (which is why the Mica was rejected in this venue), so K2 would be too large.

Chuck Fudge

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 01:47:25 PM »

Seems to me some other notable manufacturers with current products are left out of this Poll. 

VUE al-8/al-4 
EAW soon to be released ANYA mini

Malek Pallie

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 04:22:42 PM »

Seems to me some other notable manufacturers with current products are left out of this Poll. 

VUE al-8/al-4 

100% agreed! Honestly, I think a quad amp'd VTX20 rig (10 per side or so) would be better on the budget, and would sound great   in that space if deployed and tuned right, but that is not "the best" supposedly. I guess the fact that Vertec is good enough for Disney Concert Hall and many other high end venues doesn't make a difference.  ::)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 04:43:16 PM »

VUE al-8/al-4 

Does anyone really believe that EAW can hang with the latest offerings of Meyer, JBL, d&b and L-Acoustics?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 06:27:17 PM »

Does anyone really believe that EAW can hang with the latest offerings of Meyer, JBL, d&b and L-Acoustics?

Have you heard the ANYA rig?  I did - in your town at BOK Arena.  While others got into the virtual sound check stuff with Scovi and AVID Venue "event" mixing tricks I was walking the arena bowl and listening.  I was impressed with the coverage and acoustic output at a relatively low drive level.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 06:27:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 28 queries.