ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Post= BSS DPR 404 You're Doing It Wrong???  (Read 9560 times)

Tim Good

Re: First Post= BSS DPR 404 You're Doing It Wrong???
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2015, 11:27:32 pm »

That is the correct insert multi.

Mac
The snake you mentioned looks fine. Page 15 of mixer manual shows how the insert TRS socket is wired.
The SC jack is like an insert for the compressor. If you're using on voice just disregard. It would enable you to do "frequency conscious" compression if you inserted an eq in its signal path.
The sidechain (SC) processing doesn't actually directly affect the sound, only the triggering of the compression.
Hope that helps
Thanks guys, I have been reading the mixer manual and I thought the snake would work.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 01:38:15 am »

Yes, that's true… but in this instance it may not have a fully balanced output. From my memory of 402/404s, the output is 1 earth, 2 earth and 3 hot. Although there may have been a x-former balanced option.

The manual says it has balanced outputs.  If they were just ground compensated or even pin 2 or 3 grounded, I wouldn't have commented that it makes no difference.

Something I wish manufacturers would add to equipment which they know will be connected to an insert point is a singls TRS in/out socket.  This could be connected to the mixer insert with a standard TRS stereo cable rather than a split cable to two mono plugs.

I have done something similar for a friend in his studio.  All of his insertable effects appear as sockets on a patchbay and he just links to them with stereo leads.  The main advantage of this is you don't have to work out which plug is the input and which is the output like you do with standard insert cables.

Steve.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:53:50 am by Steve M Smith »

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 06:18:03 pm »

Something I wish manufacturers would add to equipment which they know will be connected to an insert point is a singls TRS in/out socket.  This could be connected to the mixer insert with a standard TRS stereo cable rather than a split cable to two mono plugs.

I have done something similar for a friend in his studio.  All of his insertable effects appear as sockets on a patchbay and he just links to them with stereo leads.  The main advantage of this is you don't have to work out which plug is the input and which is the output like you do with standard insert cables.

On the back of the Peavey CEL-2 and CEL-2a compressors there is just that sort of jack. It is called "In/Out" and the screen printing adjacent to the jack denotes that the tip is input into the compressor channel and the ring is output. In the manual it specifically mentions that this is a great way to patch using just a single TRS cable.

Here is the manual for the Peavey CEL-2, copyright 1998: CEL-2 User Manual
Have a look at page 6, item #19.

I guess it is another one of those novel Peavey ideas that never caught on with the rest of the manufacturers.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 06:20:20 pm »

That's typical.  Everything I invent turns out to be already invented!

(just call me Edison).

Steve.

Tim Good

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 06:21:18 pm »

Gents, the snake worked great, as does the compressor and the KT EQ!  The sound in the church is much more manageable now and I've been able to tune the setup for some of the people with poor mic manners so they're not super quiet one second then blasting loud the next.  Thanks for all the help!  I think I'd like a gate next.  Any recommendations?

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 10:49:30 pm »

Rane G4, Drawmer DS404, BSS DPR504

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2015, 10:49:30 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.