ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley SH96HO biamping  (Read 22542 times)

sbjacob

Danley SH96HO biamping
« on: September 29, 2015, 02:42:59 PM »

Was curious if anyone has used these and can share any impressions they have on the crossover point between the LF section and HF section when biamping . I'm going to use my SH96HO's with a pair of DBH218's for starters . Thanks
DANLEY SM96, TH118'S , BS412 OS80 ,GH60

John L Nobile

Re: Danley SH96HO biamping
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 03:48:47 PM »

I've got the same system. It sounds great.

I believe I've got the xover at 80 hz on the subs and maybe 90 or 100 hz on the 218's. BW 24 db. I've set the Lo - Mid xover, delay and eq as per Ivan's recommendation. The MF to HF is passive. Did you get DSP settings for them?

sbjacob

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 05:20:26 PM »

I've got the same system. It sounds great.

I believe I've got the xover at 80 hz on the subs and maybe 90 or 100 hz on the 218's. BW 24 db. I've set the Lo - Mid xover, delay and eq as per Ivan's recommendation. The MF to HF is passive. Did you get DSP settings for them?

Thanks what processor and amps are you using ?

John L Nobile

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 07:19:36 PM »

Xilica XP 4080 and 2 Labgruppen FQ10000Q's. If they were available at the time, I would have stuck with Danley amps and processing. But I'm totally happy with what I have.

sbjacob

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 12:27:33 AM »

Xilica XP 4080 and 2 Labgruppen FQ10000Q's. If they were available at the time, I would have stuck with Danley amps and processing. But I'm totally happy with what I have.

I agree I would have gone with Danley amps and processor also but already had a Ashly Protea 3.6SP a few Crown itech 6000's , MA12000i and a QSC PLX3602 .

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 05:10:06 AM »

Have a look at my article about the SH96HO

https://www.merlijnvanveen.nl/nl/studiezaal/90-danley-sound-labs-case-study

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 01:10:07 PM »

Was curious if anyone has used these and can share any impressions they have on the crossover point between the LF section and HF section when biamping . I'm going to use my SH96HO's with a pair of DBH218's for starters . Thanks
There is no "normal crossover point" when biamping the SH96HO.  The ELECTRICAL crossovers overlap by something like an octave.

This is done to help the phase response.

There is also some "out of band eq" applied, again to help the phase response.

As usual-the settings are for the Danley processor.  Other processors may or may not provide the same results.

If you email me at  [email protected], I can send you our settings.  But it is likely you will have to make some adjustments to get it correct.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

sbjacob

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 04:57:54 PM »

There is no "normal crossover point" when biamping the SH96HO.  The ELECTRICAL crossovers overlap by something like an octave.

This is done to help the phase response.

There is also some "out of band eq" applied, again to help the phase response.

As usual-the settings are for the Danley processor.  Other processors may or may not provide the same results.

If you email me at  [email protected], I can send you our settings.  But it is likely you will have to make some adjustments to get it correct.

Thanks got the settings (:

Brandon Wright

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 10:44:07 AM »

Thanks got the settings (:

How are the settings working for you? I know they did not translate well for me into powersoft armonia. One thing I keep coming back to over and over again with these speakers is how to deal with the lobing , yes I said lobing, in the vertical at 4k. EQing for a flat response on axis makes for a ridiculous ice pick in the forehead response at any slight movement off axis in the vertical plane. This anomaly is born out in Danley's measurements and is discussed by Merlin in his article. I have been going back and fourth finding a happy medium in both the on and off axis response. Don't get me wrong it is a wonderful box and gets stupid loud (i've found that one SH96HO to four dbh218 is about the right ratio), but it does have this one particular wart.

On a brighter note, I have found that taking a few rotations out of the box really seems to bring the vocals up front and adds separation. Confirmation bias is a beautiful thing.

The one thing I notice with Danley speakers over any other speaker, is even with a somewhat ragged frequency response, I still hear things in recordings that I have never heard before. However, as has been discussed before, this is sometimes a good thing and a bad thing. I'm finding a lot of my usual source material unusable.

P.S. sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

Below is the phase response before (blue) and after FIR correction (green). The scale on the Y axis is 720 degrees.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 02:43:22 PM by Brandon Wright »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 06:11:35 PM »

One thing I keep coming back to over and over again with these speakers is how to deal with the lobing , yes I said lobing, in the vertical at 4k. EQing for a flat response on axis makes for a ridiculous ice pick in the forehead response at any slight movement off axis in the vertical plane.
Brandon,

Yep, EQ can't fix polar response..
What is the difference in SPL between the 4kHz on axis dip and the vertical off axis peaks?
How many degrees off axis is a "slight movement" ?

Art

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 06:11:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.