ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Samick Board...oops  (Read 9523 times)

Steve Musitano

Samick Board...oops
« on: September 28, 2015, 11:21:07 PM »

ok...so this is my first major buy of a mixing console. literally i went from a tiny focus rite to this monster. also, please be patient if this isnt the right thread, i have no idea how to navigate this site yet. ok here it goes....so i bought an old Samick system-164 off of some dude on craigslist, the things in great shape even comes with a intimidator case, nice stuff. but he told me he doesn't have the power supply. so thinking to myself, oh this will be easy....no Samick sells pianos, they no longer do mixing boards. so now i'm left here with some console that i really want to use but ive called everywhere an asked around and i cannot seem to find this dang cord anywhere. its weird, it uses this pin connector i think #20 connectors and there's 5 of them, but they are in a pentagon sort of shape not jut the easy ones where it goes along the outside. and on the outside there seems to be threads of some sort. i always end up doing this i buy equipment that no one sells anymore...i cant win. so if anyone could identify what i can buy for this even if its some off brand supply. please and thank you:)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Samick Board...oops
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 12:02:13 AM »

If you had the schematic diagrams for the board, someone electronically savvy might be able to find some other power supply with the same voltages and wire up a connector for you.  But the whole endeavor probably would cost more than the board is worth.  You can keep an eye out for a damaged board or power supply on e-bay but other than that I've very afraid you have a doorstop there.

Samick is entry level stuff in any event.  So I hope you didn't sink too much into it.

This thread should have been in the Lounge, which is for newbies, bands and folks with music store gear on up to the people doing the street festivals and such in your neighborhood.  The Lab is for the folks you see working the big concerts.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 12:05:09 AM »

Do you have the power supply and just need the cable?
Not sure, but the connector may be the type that is used on CB radios. Bob Heil would know. He might even have them in stock.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 03:09:26 AM »

As Stephen says, if you know someone who is electronically competent, you cn probably work it out.  Probably easier with a connector change.

It will most likely need a +/- 18 volt supply as well as +48v if it has phantom power.  It might also need a +12v supply.

Steve.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 07:25:44 AM »

As Stephen says, if you know someone who is electronically competent, you cn probably work it out.  Probably easier with a connector change.

It will most likely need a +/- 18 volt supply as well as +48v if it has phantom power.  It might also need a +12v supply.

Steve.
I would bet that a supply from an old Soundcraft SPirit would work and a connector change would be necessary.
Pretty basic console and , IMHO, not worth the trouble.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 07:32:41 AM »

Steve, not to rain on your parade or anything, but don't waste any time on this "project".
I did some repairs on one of those 20 years ago. The summing amps overload way too early, the faders get a little wonky when dirty - the pass full level audio through to the subgroups AND AUXES (no matter where the fader is at)
I can only imagine what you're going to be faced with if you actually do get it fired up.
Buying ANYTHING incomplete is a real crapshoot. This "mixer" is just plain crap.
Sorry.

Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 07:37:24 AM »

I would bet that a supply from an old Soundcraft SPirit would work

Like the one in my shed!...

Steve.

Steve Musitano

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »

yeah, i was rethinking it, i only spent 100$, the case i can resell, i dont feel like doing a whole power change and i dont even know if this thing works. i opened it up and there was this weird electrical smell, so it may not work for all i know. i kinda bought it on a whim, i was like...ooo big board low price

John L Nobile

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 03:51:46 PM »

yeah, i was rethinking it, i only spent 100$, the case i can resell, i dont feel like doing a whole power change and i dont even know if this thing works. i opened it up and there was this weird electrical smell, so it may not work for all i know. i kinda bought it on a whim, i was like...ooo big board low price

No shortages of low priced big boards out there. I've got a 40 ch Soundcraft 8000 that's probably going to the recyclers cause it'll cost a lot more to fix up than it's worth.

Real shame cause it's been a great board for almost 25 years.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 05:04:15 PM »

Nah big turd, any price is too much.

You don't have to rewire it just find out the voltages.  You could shove wires in that plug since it's a female.

That is if you just want to play.

How many channels is it?  If you just want to play get a digital interface and one of the excellent desktop mixing platforms that has dynamics, FX and EQ on each channel.  You can also get practice multitrack files and learn by mixing them down to 2 channels.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 05:04:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.