ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Amp Recptacle Adapter  (Read 9974 times)

Guy Holt

Re: 50 Amp Recptacle Adapter
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 05:10:13 PM »

What type of a distro do you recommend?  You can't legally run 5-15 or 5-20 receptacles on an 84 amp circuit so you still need a custom distro.  Could be the right solution for some situations-depending on budget and overall cost.

A custom distro is not necessary since there are “off the shelf” 100A Bates break-out boxes to 5-20 receptacles that you can rent from your local film lighting rental house.  Here are pictures of a few of them:

There is even a version with GFCI protected receptacles when that is necessary with the Honda EU6500s or EU7000s (I will post more on that latter):

Guy Holt, Gaffer
ScreenLight & Grip
www.screenlightandgrip.com

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 11:08:05 AM »

Grainger is not the place to look for portable transformers. For a situation like this I would recommend a 10kVA transformer like the one we built for our rental inventory pictured below. 

A custom distro is not necessary since there are “off the shelf” 100A Bates break-out boxes to 5-20 receptacles that you can rent from your local film lighting rental house. 

Guy,

My "local" film rental house is a 3 hour drive away.

I would not go to Grainger to buy a transformer-however Grainger and McMaster sell a lot of product to a lot of people not because of great pricing but because price and tech specs are readily available.  I found the prices and weights in a few seconds.

I am not trying bust your chops.  I would second TJ's comment that information could be presented that would be more helpful.  I know you have a lot of time and energy invested in your white paper on harmonics and I understand that they can create issues in   some cases.  But from a practical standpoint what is most important to most on here is the investment in cost and the weight/convenience of setup.  Does it make sense for me to haul the transformer to 20 gigs when I really only need it on 2 and there is a reasonable work around like TJ suggested for 2?  Depends on the person-and it depends on the specs.   You suggested a "12 kVA" a non standard size.  Typically, you go a size bigger to handle the load, though you are correct in that a 10 kVA would work in this situation and would meet code with a 50 amp breaker on primary and you could even use a 100 amp breaker on the secondary if you wanted to (and still meet the NEC)-which would be far easier for most people to get their hands on. That solution would work well in most audio situations-though if you were maxing out the load with steady lighting there would be a possibility of overheating the transformer.  Is it for everyone?  Doubt it-but at least now there is enough info for the average guy on here to put pencil to paper and see what works for him.

Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 11:08:05 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.