ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure UHF-R H4 band in NYC ?  (Read 4756 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Shure UHF-R H4 band in NYC ?
« on: September 23, 2015, 01:15:31 PM »

We have a repeat show in NYC next month that we have always had 24 channels of H4 available without interference.  I see on the Shure website that they list the H4 band as having eight frequencies available.  Something has popped up since last fall apparently.  Does anyone know whether this new RF source is currently online and thus H4s above eight channels would definitely be hosed or is it simply frequencies assigned but not yet implemented as is often the case.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
Re: Shure UHF-R H4 band in NYC ?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 06:24:35 PM »

We have a repeat show in NYC next month that we have always had 24 channels of H4 available without interference.  I see on the Shure website that they list the H4 band as having eight frequencies available.  Something has popped up since last fall apparently.  Does anyone know whether this new RF source is currently online and thus H4s above eight channels would definitely be hosed or is it simply frequencies assigned but not yet implemented as is often the case.

You could look at the venue scans on Peter Erskine's site
http://www.bestaudio.com/spectrum-analyzer-setups
There are quite a few from NYC venues.
I'll attach a scan I did outdoors at 12th Ave and West 58th in July this year,
42MHz of the available 60Mhz tuning of the H4 is occupied by DTV. But this was outdoors on a pier in the Hudson River.
A quick run on IAS got 16 frequencies and that was with the strictest default options.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 06:27:59 PM »

In general I don't like to go into any big city venue with all my eggs in one basket. Here in Chicago we used to routinely send out 20+ channels of UHF-R all in J5, but as some smaller TV stations have come on line along with other wireless users we always split it up between at least two bands.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 09:44:46 AM »

I'd go with John's prognosis as well as whatever you can glean from Peter's file(s).

Attached are a culmination of some quick scans using various ULX-D and UHF-R kits over the course of a couple of shows. Here in Center City Philadelphia, I have the most success with the upper and lower bands of UHF-R - G1, J5, L3. H4 is unusable beyond a few stories above street level, and J5 is close behind, in my experience. Outdoors or above the "treeline", where other buildings aren't shielding you as well, everything shoots up by, well, a good bit (red overlay).

It's not NYC by any means, but it definitely pays to have varied inventory available to pull from when you have to squeeze in channels.

I really wish I could do full-spectrum scans in situ, but I'm not at that point yet...all things in time.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:47:33 AM by Jordan Wolf »
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Diogo Nunes Pereira

• Barcelona, sometimes...
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 08:59:28 PM »

I really wish I could do full-spectrum scans in situ, but I'm not at that point yet...all things in time.

An RF Explorer can change your life, and it's a cheap trick.

And you can then import those scans to WWB (or IAS). I've been scanning the north of Spain all over, during my vacations this year.

I wish Shure included TV database data in WWB for Spain already...

(Oh... and we might have to speak elsewhere, right? There's a new forum for Wireless...)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 09:04:14 PM by Diogo Nunes Pereira »
Diogo Nunes Pereira
[email protected]
--------------------------
"I envy not those who own charriots, horses or land. I envy only those who drink water from every fountain." - Popular Song from Portugal

Phil Boutle

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 04:36:48 PM »

An RF Explorer can change your life, and it's a cheap trick.

And you can then import those scans to WWB (or IAS). I've been scanning the north of Spain all over, during my vacations this year.

I wish Shure included TV database data in WWB for Spain already...

(Oh... and we might have to speak elsewhere, right? There's a new forum for Wireless...)

Hi

I use the RF Viewer to do quick scans and import into WWB or IAS. The export CSV function speeds up the process greatly and out-weighs the drawbacks. No it won`t pin point problem freqs quickly but I generally leave it running and watch the waterfall to see if anything drastic is happening. On the tour I`m on at the moment there is not a huge amount of RF and only a couple of important channels so not much need to dig too deep.

As for TV databases I`ve been finding more brand new 4G mobile bands popping up which obviously aren`t in WWB or IAS. It usually doesn`t affect the equipment ranges I`m co-ordinating but just interesting !

Here`s a screenshot of WWB ..New York Citifield July 2015

.p.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 04:36:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.