Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Wireless and Communications

Shure UHF-R H4 band in NYC ?

(1/2) > >>

Riley Casey:
We have a repeat show in NYC next month that we have always had 24 channels of H4 available without interference.  I see on the Shure website that they list the H4 band as having eight frequencies available.  Something has popped up since last fall apparently.  Does anyone know whether this new RF source is currently online and thus H4s above eight channels would definitely be hosed or is it simply frequencies assigned but not yet implemented as is often the case.

John Sulek:

--- Quote from: Riley Casey on September 23, 2015, 01:15:31 PM ---We have a repeat show in NYC next month that we have always had 24 channels of H4 available without interference.  I see on the Shure website that they list the H4 band as having eight frequencies available.  Something has popped up since last fall apparently.  Does anyone know whether this new RF source is currently online and thus H4s above eight channels would definitely be hosed or is it simply frequencies assigned but not yet implemented as is often the case.

--- End quote ---

You could look at the venue scans on Peter Erskine's site
http://www.bestaudio.com/spectrum-analyzer-setups
There are quite a few from NYC venues.
I'll attach a scan I did outdoors at 12th Ave and West 58th in July this year,
42MHz of the available 60Mhz tuning of the H4 is occupied by DTV. But this was outdoors on a pier in the Hudson River.
A quick run on IAS got 16 frequencies and that was with the strictest default options.

Scott Helmke:
In general I don't like to go into any big city venue with all my eggs in one basket. Here in Chicago we used to routinely send out 20+ channels of UHF-R all in J5, but as some smaller TV stations have come on line along with other wireless users we always split it up between at least two bands.

Jordan Wolf:
I'd go with John's prognosis as well as whatever you can glean from Peter's file(s).

Attached are a culmination of some quick scans using various ULX-D and UHF-R kits over the course of a couple of shows. Here in Center City Philadelphia, I have the most success with the upper and lower bands of UHF-R - G1, J5, L3. H4 is unusable beyond a few stories above street level, and J5 is close behind, in my experience. Outdoors or above the "treeline", where other buildings aren't shielding you as well, everything shoots up by, well, a good bit (red overlay).

It's not NYC by any means, but it definitely pays to have varied inventory available to pull from when you have to squeeze in channels.

I really wish I could do full-spectrum scans in situ, but I'm not at that point yet...all things in time.

Diogo Nunes Pereira:

--- Quote from: Jordan Wolf on September 24, 2015, 09:44:46 AM ---I really wish I could do full-spectrum scans in situ, but I'm not at that point yet...all things in time.

--- End quote ---

An RF Explorer can change your life, and it's a cheap trick.

And you can then import those scans to WWB (or IAS). I've been scanning the north of Spain all over, during my vacations this year.

I wish Shure included TV database data in WWB for Spain already...

(Oh... and we might have to speak elsewhere, right? There's a new forum for Wireless...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version