ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ETX vs EKX  (Read 48983 times)

Lionel Croom

ETX vs EKX
« on: September 21, 2015, 04:50:47 PM »

I have local band in St. Louis.  I don't claim to be a pro sound man but I have been playing and running sound for 25 years.  I'm also new to this board. 

Last year the band started off loading our passive equipment for smaller powered equipment.  We're not spring chickens anymore.  Anyway, I'm the guy that runs the rig and after selling off our shared equipment I'm buying the new gear.  I was an understudy for a local sound company back in the 90's so I have some working knowledge of unity gain and the how frequencies travel at different speeds in rooms and outside venues.  Which unfortunately has led me to the EV ETX line.  So there's the background and here is where I'm at and now.

Last year I replaced one very large rack of gear and a 24x4x2 sound board with 1 QSC touchmix 16.  Love it and now it is android compatible, even better.  Can't believe I used to set all the crap up.  I did keep one turd polisher piece of gear.  A DBX sonic maximize still running between the board and front end.

At the same time I purchased two EV Live X 12p powered speakers for mains.  The plan is to retire these to monitors and replace them with higher end front cabs.  At the time we only got enough for our old passives to buy 1 powered Live X 12. 
My questions is what are the advantages of the ETX 2 way speakers over the EKX line besides wattage?  It looks like the EKX is the ELX line with the fancy DSP control.   Is that a correct assessment?

I just ordered the ETX 18SP's for low end.  We've been using our guitarists Mackie sub.  It's no were near what our old passive subs were doing, but we were getting by.

Now that I have my low-end problem fixed I've been looking at the ETX 2 way speaker line.  After doing some research and reading a lot of posts on this site I understand that while the ETX subs have inherited phoenix drivers the ETX 2 way line has not. 

Anyone have some real experience with how these two differ in sound quality?

-Lionel Croom
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:54:16 PM by Maverick163 »

Stephen Kirby

Re: ETX vs EKX
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 04:56:53 PM »

This should have gone in the Lounge section.  The mods will also lock the thread however as you have to use a real name on this board.

And a Sonic Maximizer????
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 04:58:56 PM by Stephen Kirby »

Lionel Croom

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 06:49:58 PM »

This should have gone in the Lounge section.  The mods will also lock the thread however as you have to use a real name on this board.

And a Sonic Maximizer????

The site asked me for a user name so I picked one.  I didn't see anything about real names.  I selected this thread because it live sound professionals.  I'm asking about live sound.  Are mods people or the program police?  a BBE sonic maximize is a device that controls the compression/limiting and some phase frequency alignment.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 06:51:45 PM »

They are the police, to enforce the rules...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Lionel Croom

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 06:56:24 PM »

They are the police, to enforce the rules...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so mod for moderator.  got it.  New and breaking rules I didn't mean to break.  I will move the post to the lounge.  How the heck do I get my real name in the post?  Do I have to register all over again?

Lionel Croom

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 07:00:16 PM »

Ok, so mod for moderator.  got it.  New and breaking rules I didn't mean to break.  I will move the post to the lounge.  How the heck do I get my real name in the post?  Do I have to register all over again?

Ok, got my name in there.  I think running sound is easier than posting.  Lol!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 07:07:38 PM »

I was an understudy for a local sound company back in the 90's so I have some working knowledge of unity gain and the how frequencies travel at different speeds in rooms and outside venues. 
Ahh.. no, the speed of sound is a constant affected by temperature but that's not the biggest thing affecting sound outside, lack of boundaries and wind are probably more significant.

My questions is what are the advantages of the ETX 2 way speakers over the EKX line besides wattage?  It looks like the EKX is the ELX line with the fancy DSP control.   Is that a correct assessment?
No, the EXK is a step up but the ETX is another step up with noticeably clearer vocal response, but that line isn't the best performer in that regard either you may want to look into the Yamaha DSR or JBL SRX800 series.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 07:12:48 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 07:11:16 PM »

Cool.  Looks like you figured out the name change.  I think one of the mods will have to move the thread unless you want to delete it and repost.

The Lab was started ages ago as an on-line discussion group of audio pros.  The folks you see behind the desks and in the rigging of the big concerts you go to.  Later on they set up the Lounge or Lab Lite for those of us who buy things like ETX's as opposed to deploying L'Acoustics rigs at festivals.  The big boys still visit the Lounge and offer helpful advice.

These folks have been down the road and worn out the t-shirts on phase compensation and so forth.  If you spend some time going though the posts you'll find that Maximizer/Exciter things are not very highly regarded.  If some phase correction is required for a specific rig, the pros will do it in DSP with all-pass filters and delays.  There is no general purpose solution.

I looked into the EKX and ETX speakers awhile back.  If you do some searching on 12" powered boxes you will find that the general consensus here goes to the Yamaha DSR112 and the recently released JBL SRX812P.  These land on either side of the EVs in price but both will outrun the EVs.  The big thing is the robustness of the HF driver.  Both the Yamaha and JBL have larger voice coil/diaphragms and maintain their clarity as the amps hit their internal limiters.  The EV's will sound pinched and strident as you get towards their limits.

Lionel Croom

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 07:13:27 PM »

Ahh.. no, the speed of sound is affected by temperature but that's not the biggest thing affecting sound outside, lack of boundaries and wind are up there.
 No, the EXK is a step up but the ETX is another step up with noticeably clearer vocal response, but that line isn't the best performer in that regard either you may want to look into the Yamaha DSR or JBL SRX800 series.

Thank you, I'll look into those.   I was referring to frequency physics and the wave equation not overall sound speed.   I know how air temp affects air density through which sound passes.   

Lionel Croom

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »

Cool.  Looks like you figured out the name change.  I think one of the mods will have to move the thread unless you want to delete it and repost.

The Lab was started ages ago as an on-line discussion group of audio pros.  The folks you see behind the desks and in the rigging of the big concerts you go to.  Later on they set up the Lounge or Lab Lite for those of us who buy things like ETX's as opposed to deploying L'Acoustics rigs at festivals.  The big boys still visit the Lounge and offer helpful advice.

These folks have been down the road and worn out the t-shirts on phase compensation and so forth.  If you spend some time going though the posts you'll find that Maximizer/Exciter things are not very highly regarded.  If some phase correction is required for a specific rig, the pros will do it in DSP with all-pass filters and delays.  There is no general purpose solution.

I looked into the EKX and ETX speakers awhile back.  If you do some searching on 12" powered boxes you will find that the general consensus here goes to the Yamaha DSR112 and the recently released JBL SRX812P.  These land on either side of the EVs in price but both will outrun the EVs.  The big thing is the robustness of the HF driver.  Both the Yamaha and JBL have larger voice coil/diaphragms and maintain their clarity as the amps hit their internal limiters.  The EV's will sound pinched and strident as you get towards their limits.

Thanks Steve, I posted it again so now I have two.  hahaha.  I can't find a delete button.  Maybe I'm not an old enough member to have one yet.  Lol.   Thank you for the reply.  So did I waste my money ordering the ETX-SP18?  I'll head up to my local dealer and compare these ETX line with the SRX and DSR lines.  When I did my comparison I compared ETX to PRX.  I didn't think to compare them to the SRX.   Looking back now I'm not sure why I didn't do that. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.