ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Larry Estrin  (Read 4611 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
RIP Larry Estrin
« on: September 19, 2015, 03:53:44 PM »

One of my old friends, and Pete Erskine's business partner Larry Estrin passed away this afternoon. Larry had been suffering some health issues lately and succumbed to kidney and liver failure.

Larry was a long time leader and innovator in the pro sound industry, starting in the '60s as Do Ho's road manager. Larry went on to run Hollywood Sound, Filmways Audio Services which included Wally Heider Recording, and founded Best Audio in the early '80s.

Larry was the person who conceived of the method of using carts to get the sideline PA on the field for Super Bowl. Prior to that we set up truss towers and flew a PA on the sideline in the 7 minute commercial break.

He was the Audio Director for many Super Bowls, political conventions and all the televised political debates prior to his illness this year. He was the Audio Director for the last 2 papal visits to the US, overseeing locations at every appearance by the Pope, and the Audio Director for the opening ceremonies of most of the Olympics since LA.

Larry was a loyal friend, and he will be greatly missed. Go in peace old friend.

Mac

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: RIP Larry Estrin
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 04:53:36 PM »

A one of a kind character for whom there are countless stories, anecdotes, accolades, and a bit of awe. I've had the privilege of knowing Larry for over 15 years and wouldn't have missed any of it. The logistics and operations of large scale special event sound and communications are rooted in many of Larry's innovations.

I'll miss him. Rest in peace.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 07:00:42 PM »

A one of a kind character for whom there are countless stories, anecdotes, accolades, and a bit of awe.

Please share your stories about Larry and yourself.  Larry had been working on a book about his life and would love to have them included.

My favorite was during the Republican convention in Dallas.  All the sound crew had gone out to lunch except Andrew Watterman.  When we came back the Dallas Police department had sealed the center for "Their" security sweep.  Not only were we locked out but most of the secret Service too.  In those days the Dallas Police were absolute authority in that town.

Larry radioed Andrew and had him turn on pink noise at max volume and then go hide.  We could hear it outside.  After about 10 minutes the police came out to the loading dock looking for the audio department.  Larry, the crew, and the locked out SS members entered and "Fixed" the problem.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 10:33:58 PM »

I was not fortunate enough to have worked with or to have met Larry. However, any time I heard his name spoken, it was spoken in reverence , with admiration, and with respect. God bless him and keep him. RIP Larry.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

SSparan

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 02:03:37 AM »

One of my old friends, and Pete Erskine's business partner Larry Estrin passed away this afternoon. Larry had been suffering some health issues lately and succumbed to kidney and liver failure.

Larry was a long time leader and innovator in the pro sound industry, starting in the '60s as Do Ho's road manager. Larry went on to run Hollywood Sound, Filmways Audio Services which included Wally Heider Recording, and founded Best Audio in the early '80s.

Larry was the person who conceived of the method of using carts to get the sideline PA on the field for Super Bowl. Prior to that we set up truss towers and flew a PA on the sideline in the 7 minute commercial break.

He was the Audio Director for many Super Bowls, political conventions and all the televised political debates prior to his illness this year. He was the Audio Director for the last 2 papal visits to the US, overseeing locations at every appearance by the Pope, and the Audio Director for the opening ceremonies of most of the Olympics since LA.

Larry was a loyal friend, and he will be greatly missed. Go in peace old friend.

Mac

SSparan

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 02:48:27 AM »

I first met Larry in 1961 when he came back to his alma mater Los Angeles High School to help teach our stage crew class. His little brother and I were in that class and I was impressed at how much Larry enjoyed teaching us what he so clearly was passionate about. He took the time to show everyone not just jow to do the various tasks to put on a theatrical event, but explaned all the options and why some were better than others. He actually cared about making sure everyone was well taken care of and safe at the same time.   Giving of himself so generously was always part of what made Larry who he was.

We became fast friends and remained friends for life. In the late 1980's I moved back to Los Angeles and worked for him for a few months. Larry introduced me to his wonderful wife Linda, and their children Michael and Allison, and they got to know my children. Larry and Linda welcomed us as extended family and taught me a lot that I will forever be grateful for.

From bringing the nation that spectacular Liberty Weekend in 1976 from a ship in New York harbor to creating the means for fans watching a golf tournament on teleuvision to hear the golf ball actually roll into the hole, he was the go-to expert in all things aidio. Attention to detail was always excellent and you knew when Larry said he could provide what a client wanted, he could and would.

My heart goes out to Linda and the kids, to Pete and all those who were so close to Larry. The world has lost a spectacular, talented, deeply caring, quality man whom we were all richly blessed to have in our lives.

Rest in peace dear friend.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:14:14 AM by Mac Kerr »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber