ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX lighting freeze function  (Read 5279 times)

TimHackford

DMX lighting freeze function
« on: September 11, 2015, 04:53:56 AM »

Hey guys, new post to this forum I have always been a sound guy and have always had so much help from the sound forum on here in regards to all my live sound questions so this is the first place I will ask!

I've recently taken the leap into DMX lighting for my band and so far its working out great. We use two Stairville TRI LED bar bundles that ate brilliant and we use the Stairville Foot 8 DMX controller to control them which on the stage next to me so I can control everything, its working off of the 7 channel DMX mode.
 Now when we brought the lights there was a the four way switch that came with the lighting system that says Auto Run, Sound, Freeze and Blackout, when using one lighting bar and the footswitch plugged in the foot switch functions also work in conjunction with the DMX controller and the Freeze function and Blackout function are a great feature and I love the response of them but when using the four way switch with TWO bars it only works on one bar because its only plugged into one bar I understand that, So my question is this..
Is there a foot-switch out there that just has the freeze/hold function built in or does anyone have a schematic to make such a box? I have looked all over the web and can't find anything but would really love to have that freeze function ability there especially when we are strobing or flashing the lights just so i can stop it at the click of a switch! With the Stairville Foot 8 controller theres a about half a second before it does anything switching from a chase to a scene and that really doesn't work with our performance especially when I am tap dancing guitar pedals too! I'd also like to have the ability to have the freeze foot switch on my pedal board along with my guitar pedals ti make it easier for me to control

I hope this has made sense and appreciate any help. Id be willing to pay for someone to make one if they can offer that too!

Kindest Regards
Tim

Nate Armstrong

Re: DMX lighting freeze function
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 09:19:30 AM »

I am not familiar with stairville products.  But something you may want to try is. setting the second Tri LED bundle bar to the same dmx address as the first one and having them connected with a dmx cable.  Theoretically the second bundle of lights will do the same thing as the first.

So if that works for you. then something else you could try on the second LED bundle.  If the cables are long enough switch the order that the power/data cables are ran so fixture one goes to slot 4 and so on. so you would get a mirrored effect even though you are sending the same dmx to each bundle

LED BAR  fixture order
1234-4321

TimHackford

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 11:55:40 AM »

I am not familiar with stairville products.  But something you may want to try is. setting the second Tri LED bundle bar to the same dmx address as the first one and having them connected with a dmx cable.  Theoretically the second bundle of lights will do the same thing as the first.

So if that works for you. then something else you could try on the second LED bundle.  If the cables are long enough switch the order that the power/data cables are ran so fixture one goes to slot 4 and so on. so you would get a mirrored effect even though you are sending the same dmx to each bundle

LED BAR  fixture order
1234-4321

Hey Nate thanks very much for the reply, i forgot to mention we are runnung the second bar on the same adress as the first so we are getting identcial lighting either sides of us if that makes sense? For somereason the second lighting bar doesnt pick up what the first bar is doing with the 4 way switch that originally came wih the lights and vice versa, if I was to plug in the 4 way switch into the second bar the forst bar would t pick up what the second bar is doing, Im presumjng becuase its not through a fixed DMx address where as the scenes, chases and strobes are and they are running from the. DmX controller. All I want is a freeze function but the DMX controller doest have that so Im hoping someone can shed some light on where I can find a freeze controller or a schematic to make one.

Kind Regards
Tim

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 07:19:01 PM »

I would doubt that such a creature exists, or that (if it did) it would be cost-effective. DMX is basically just a bunch of digital info streaming from the controller, and it can't be manipulated in the same fashion that analog signals can be diddled.
Maybe a link to the products you have would be useful to us?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 11:31:38 AM »

I see why it doesn't work. The output of the foot controller is 1/4 inch and not XLR . So the XLR on unit 1 is not receiving the signal so it can not output the identical signal to the second unit.

I would try and search for another foot controller, but i think most will be 1/4 and not DMX and proprietary to the brand LED's you own.  SO I think you are going to have a hard time.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 01:11:31 PM »

Leaves me to wonder if this is a Master and Slave device ?

Jano Svitok

• SR Forums
  • Bratislava, Slovakia
    • zvukari.sk
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 04:15:38 PM »

My guess it's this light/set http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_stage_tri_led_bundle_complete.htm

Since there are 3 poles in the connector (TRS) and there are 4 buttons, so they can't be wired 1:1. One way to make it work is that one pole is ground, one is power, and each button connects
to the third pole through different resistor. You can quite easily check this hypothesis and maybe some variants. If this is true, you can create controller with two-way switches, one to each bar.
If there's a processor inside, it's much harder and I won't help you with that...

If you can open the footswitch, you'll see how complicated it is inside. If you can't identify the components, post a photo here.

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 03:40:19 PM »

I wonder if a 1/4 inch Y Jack  would split the signal to the 2nd Tree

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 03:40:19 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.