ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Install in a lecture hall  (Read 11484 times)

Aaron Estes

Re: Install in a lecture hall
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 06:42:19 PM »

Of course with a room that deep the audio is only going have acceptable lip sync in the front half of the room. Two frames of mismatch looks like bad cable TV, that happens 60' from the first speakers. Beyond that it is progressively worse. This will be true for a lecture with IMAG as well.

Mac

Good point.  I don't know if they have thought this part out.  If Zone #2 audio is delayed to make up for the distance, that will make it out of sync with the live video feed going to the secondary screen.  Is it normal practice to delay the video to match the delayed audio?

Aaron Estes

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 07:08:10 PM »

Any thoughts on the EV ETX-10p as fills?

-AE

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 03:42:33 AM »

Any thoughts on the EV ETX-10p as fills?

-AE

Aaron, can I suggest you concentrate on the concepts being discussed then pick the hardware?

Once the design is complete the hardware that fits the role will be able to be clarified.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Martin Morris

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 07:29:47 AM »

Of course with a room that deep the audio is only going have acceptable lip sync in the front half of the room. Two frames of mismatch looks like bad cable TV, that happens 60' from the first speakers. Beyond that it is progressively worse. This will be true for a lecture with IMAG as well.

Mac
Dude told me to "go back to where I came from", so I set my tent up on his front lawn ... (unnamed Indian)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 11:04:24 AM »

Aaron, can I suggest you concentrate on the concepts being discussed then pick the hardware?

Once the design is complete the hardware that fits the role will be able to be clarified.

Yes, this.

Mac

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 04:00:01 PM »

The drawing indicates there is a secondary screen on the wall that's about halfway back. I didn't see it at first, either.

In that case, the design choices become much clearer. put speakers on each side of the secondary screen to cover the top section and then put speakers down front to cover what is left.
of course delaying the upper speakers will be really important to everyone in the transition zone.

Jason

Aaron Estes

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 12:26:43 AM »

Sorry, trying to get too much done at once.

-AE

Aaron Estes

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 10:50:02 PM »

In that case, the design choices become much clearer. put speakers on each side of the secondary screen to cover the top section and then put speakers down front to cover what is left.
of course delaying the upper speakers will be really important to everyone in the transition zone.

Jason

Thank you all for the replies.

Below is an updated version of the Sketchup.  It shows the approximate position for mains (orange) in Zone 1.  These will be out from the wall a little, angled slightly down and in, and flanking the riser.  The two smaller green ones are fill positions; again, angled.  The red and blue are the Zone 2 options we're exploring right now.  Like Jason said above, I think that just the reds flanking the secondary screen should be enough if they're angled right and delayed.  However, I'm wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of going with the blues in Zone 2 instead of the reds.

Thanks again.
-AE 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:07:42 AM by Aaron Estes »

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 08:58:50 AM »

Thank you all for the replies.

Below is an updated version of the Sketchup.  It shows the approximate position for mains (orange) in Zone 1.  These will be out from the wall a little, angled slightly down and in, and flanking the riser.  The two smaller green ones are fill positions; again, angled.  The red and blue are the Zone 2 options we're exploring right now.  Like Jason said above, I think that just the reds flanking the secondary screen should be enough if they're angled right and delayed.  However, I'm wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of going with the blues in Zone 2 instead of the reds.

Thanks again.
-AE

The reason the reds are preferable to the blues is that the reds can be delayed to match up with the mains and will supplement that wavefront that spills into the upper section. the blues are (I'm assuming) down/side firing so if you delay them (which might require 2 delays now) you can only make it right for people seated above them. everyone for the first few rows in front of each set of blues will hear incorrect timing from them.

If the reds aren't enough to reach the back then ideally another (maybe smaller) set of directional speakers closer to the back, making 3 zones. but always keeping the speakers in front of people and facing them.

I'm not sure what your intention is with the center 'fill' speakers. the room is so narrow that you shouldn't have much of a hole in the middle.
Also, if you really want stereo that means that the left speakers have to cover every seat, and the right speakers have to cover every seat, making a center speaker redundant or at best tricky to decide how to use it.

Jason

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 09:28:35 AM »

I have recently worked in 2 rooms very similar to this and had to use a comination of the suggestions put forward. Not quite as deep but similar enough to have come to some conclusions.
The installed equipment included 2 x side hung colum "arrays", 2x side hung powered 2 way cabs and ceiling speakers.
I have tried them in different combinations.
For the video playback, these were fine but for spoken word, not good.
Too many sources and too many unresolvable time alignment issues to allow for  nice clean, clear and comfortable dialogue reproduction.
I have had much time to sit in these rooms and figure out what might work better.
A single, high cohenrent speaker ( eg: Danley SM80, SM96) covering each section would be a better solution for dialogue and, if required, a separate stereo or 5.1 system for video playback.
Just my opinion...
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 09:28:35 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.