ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Install in a lecture hall  (Read 11477 times)

Aaron Estes

Install in a lecture hall
« on: September 18, 2015, 03:19:47 AM »

I'm a long time lurker around here, but not much of a poster.

I am helping select gear for a 200 seat lecture hall.  The dimensions/layout of the room are very interesting.  I would love to get some thoughts on this.  There is about a $20-25K budget for speakers, mixer, cabling, and some lavs.

The room is 18' wide x 117' deep.  The first 33' of depth are flat ground with only 27 seats, a 12' x 18' x 10" riser/stage, and a large projection screen.  The remaining 84' are stadium seating at about a 15 degree incline.  Ceiling height is 13' in the flat area and narrows to 11' at the 11th row.  After the 11th row, the room opens up. I know... like I said, interesting. 

I'm not very good at Sketchup yet, but I attached my best effort.

The room will be mostly for lectures and videos, but also for occasional small live performances.

So far, I'm thinking 1x SRX835p per side in the flat area.  These will be angled to point toward the center of the 13th or 14th row, just past where the ceiling opens up.  I'll need something smaller as a center front fill for the first couple rows.  Once I figure out what I want to do for the front fill and subs, this will comprise "Zone #1".

For the rest of the room, "Zone #2", I'm thinking 2x SRX812p's on each side spaced evenly and pointing down.  I'll have to mess with delay times on these. 

This room is so long that I'm still not sure what to do for subs.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks
-AE 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Install in a lecture hall
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 08:10:43 AM »

Since the room is primarily a SPOKEN WORD place- a SINGLE source of sound would best-especially since the room is deep and narrow.

Add a sub for low end when needed-and turned OFF when being used as a lecture hall.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 08:55:44 AM »

A long group of line-array column speakers on each side at the front of the stage might cover that distance although their typical wide dispersion would be a problem. Or one set for zone 1 and another set at the second projection screen for zone 2.  SLS, JBL, TOA, others.
Scott Hofmann

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 09:27:12 AM »

18' wide is pretty narrow.  Do you NEED stereo?  I would agree with Ivan that a single center speaker would work well.  Another single center speaker back where the room 'opens up' should cover that area also.  You might want to go a little higher than 11' in the 'open' area, as this will allow more even coverage front to back.  The first few rows of the 'open' area will be out of the pattern of the speaker above them, but they should be adequately covered by the speaker at the front of the room given that it's only 20' away. 

You might also consider some small fill speakers at the stage and again just before the room opens up. 

Where are you located? One of us might be nearby. 

Aaron Estes

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 12:03:26 PM »

Since the room is primarily a SPOKEN WORD place- a SINGLE source of sound would best-especially since the room is deep and narrow.

Add a sub for low end when needed-and turned OFF when being used as a lecture hall.

The owner would like to watch movies and show student-created videos in the space.  Because of this, it needs to be stereo.  Also, for low end rumble effects, it needs to have a sub in at least the front part of the room.  The sub will definitely be turned off for lectures.

Aaron Estes

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »

A long group of line-array column speakers on each side at the front of the stage might cover that distance although their typical wide dispersion would be a problem. Or one set for zone 1 and another set at the second projection screen for zone 2.  SLS, JBL, TOA, others.

I believe that doing the line-array route right would end up being out of my budget.  The SRX835p has 60 x 40 coverage.  With two boxes, it's still wider than I need for such a narrow room.  The narrower angle should help with a tighter/longer throw though.

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 02:26:10 PM »

I'm a long time lurker around here, but not much of a poster.

I am helping select gear for a 200 seat lecture hall.  The dimensions/layout of the room are very interesting.  I would love to get some thoughts on this.  There is about a $20-25K budget for speakers, mixer, cabling, and some lavs.

The room is 18' wide x 117' deep.  The first 33' of depth are flat ground with only 27 seats, a 12' x 18' x 10" riser/stage, and a large projection screen.  The remaining 84' are stadium seating at about a 15 degree incline.  Ceiling height is 13' in the flat area and narrows to 11' at the 11th row.  After the 11th row, the room opens up. I know... like I said, interesting. 

I'm not very good at Sketchup yet, but I attached my best effort.

The room will be mostly for lectures and videos, but also for occasional small live performances.

So far, I'm thinking 1x SRX835p per side in the flat area.  These will be angled to point toward the center of the 13th or 14th row, just past where the ceiling opens up.  I'll need something smaller as a center front fill for the first couple rows.  Once I figure out what I want to do for the front fill and subs, this will comprise "Zone #1".

For the rest of the room, "Zone #2", I'm thinking 2x SRX812p's on each side spaced evenly and pointing down.  I'll have to mess with delay times on these. 

This room is so long that I'm still not sure what to do for subs.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks
-AE 

Can the top row even see the screen?

if it has to be stereo I'd be looking at 2-3 sets of column speakers on the walls with a sub up front.
How you do it depends on the surfaces and where you can get wiring to.

Jason

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 03:32:45 PM »

Can the top row even see the screen?

if it has to be stereo I'd be looking at 2-3 sets of column speakers on the walls with a sub up front.
How you do it depends on the surfaces and where you can get wiring to.

Jason

The drawing indicates there is a secondary screen on the wall that's about halfway back. I didn't see it at first, either.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 04:43:36 PM »

The drawing indicates there is a secondary screen on the wall that's about halfway back. I didn't see it at first, either.

Of course with a room that deep the audio is only going have acceptable lip sync in the front half of the room. Two frames of mismatch looks like bad cable TV, that happens 60' from the first speakers. Beyond that it is progressively worse. This will be true for a lecture with IMAG as well.

Mac

Aaron Estes

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 05:42:54 PM »

18' wide is pretty narrow.  Do you NEED stereo?  I would agree with Ivan that a single center speaker would work well.  Another single center speaker back where the room 'opens up' should cover that area also.  You might want to go a little higher than 11' in the 'open' area, as this will allow more even coverage front to back.  The first few rows of the 'open' area will be out of the pattern of the speaker above them, but they should be adequately covered by the speaker at the front of the room given that it's only 20' away. 

You might also consider some small fill speakers at the stage and again just before the room opens up. 

Where are you located? One of us might be nearby.

I do need stereo.  The owner wants to be able to watch movies in the space.  What do you suggest for the small center and fill speakers?

One of the reasons I like the SRX835p is the built-in DSP.  So I'd like the fills to have something similar.

-AE

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 05:42:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.