ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HS stadium needs a limiter  (Read 3124 times)

Bobby Blackwell

HS stadium needs a limiter
« on: September 14, 2015, 10:14:34 PM »

Hi all -
I was pointed in your guy's direction by someone over at DJforums to come here for more advice.

I just got a lead that the school system in my area is looking at putting in limiters on all of their outdoor sound systems. Apparently it started all from a neighbor to one of the schools complaining to the board of supervisors(or at least it got up to them) about it being too loud during events. They want me to install a limiter so that the speakers can't be pushed higher than the maximum dB level.  I've been looking at the DBX 166xs and driverack pa+. All they want is to govern the maximum volume the speakers can be at.  I thought if I put in a processor, I can also enhance the announcer's vocals for them too.   But I was told that these aren't going to do what I need.  Instead I was told to get something specifically for SPL limiting and a lot more expensive (which may or may not be in the budget).

I think a lot of the problem tends to be that most of the people(if not all) that are operating the audio equipment know nothing about it.  It would not surprise me if a parent just turned the amps to the max and thought that was the right way to adjust the volume.  If I do install anything, I will be putting security covers over so nothing can be changed.

I know the athletic director at the school that got the noise violation and I'm going to go see if I can do a site survey before suggesting anything.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Re: HS stadium needs a limiter
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 12:41:40 AM »

I'd recommend a Drawmer SP2120. (disclaimer - I am a dealer for them)

http://www.drawmer.com/products/protection/sp2120-speaker-protector.php
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Robert Healey

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 10:40:32 AM »

I'd recommend a Drawmer SP2120. (disclaimer - I am a dealer for them)

http://www.drawmer.com/products/protection/sp2120-speaker-protector.php

This is a much better product for this application than a limiter. The Drawmer is an automatic gain controller which will lower the volume of the signal rather than squishing the dynamics like a limiter.

David Allred

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 10:55:18 AM »

This is a much better product for this application than a limiter. The Drawmer is an automatic gain controller which will lower the volume of the signal rather than squishing the dynamics like a limiter.

I think a limiter  (or compressor if properly set) also is useful to keep the volume hot, until the announcement starts screaming during a touchdown.  The Drawmer looks interesting though.

Bobby Blackwell

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 11:03:28 PM »

Thanks everyone!
I think I'm going to need to do a site survey on all the schools before I do anything.  But for the schools that do need some type of broad limiting/governing, I think I will be recommending a DBX 160a or a drawmer unit.

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 02:21:50 PM »

Thanks everyone!
I think I'm going to need to do a site survey on all the schools before I do anything.  But for the schools that do need some type of broad limiting/governing, I think I will be recommending a DBX 160a or a drawmer unit.

Unless those are locked up (more than a security cover) they'll end up getting messed with or bypassed.
if you can't afford a proper limiter then get a small DSP like the QSC DSP blocks that you can hide in the back of the rack so people don't even know it's there.

Jason

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 02:21:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.