ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX818 Subs Arrived  (Read 7417 times)

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: SRX818 Subs Arrived
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 01:31:46 PM »

I hope the new JBL finish, which is definitely different, holds up as well.
It's still the same DuraTex, but with a different application. The smoother finish probably offers more coverage per gallon than the rougher (older) version. Click on the "Textures" tab at the following link:

http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coating-DuraTex-Roller-Grade-Black.html
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 01:49:41 PM »

It's still the same DuraTex, but with a different application. The smoother finish probably offers more coverage per gallon than the rougher (older) version. Click on the "Textures" tab at the following link:

http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Cabinet-Coating-DuraTex-Roller-Grade-Black.html
JBL uses DuraFlex, not DuraTex.  They are significantly different.  JBL's product is a two-part product that ships in a caulking tube; DuraTex is sold in buckets and is premixed.  DuraTex is OK - I've done a number of projects with it, but it doesn't have the same durability of DuraFlex.

I don't know if there are different grades of it - there seem to be a couple different part numbers.  The version for the SRX700 series is part number 30052.  I believe it's about $80/tube.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 03:42:17 PM »

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these two subs as I'm interested in those two models myself!

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »

Not using a plastic bag is something new. I agree that the dust is from the cardboard, and can honestly say that I feel JBL would never pack a cabinet covered with crap of any type. Their quality is just too high. I'm also not surprised that cabinets are packed using cardboard only. The use of foam increases the size of the box, which increases packing and shipping costs.

I do however feel that using a plastic bag over the cabinets would prevent a multitude of issues and have noted that most manufacturers are now shipping sans bag. This appears to be a more recent practice as every JBL cabinet I have unpacked until this point has been wrapped in a plastic bag.

Concerning the "B" stock, or blem you may or may not receive,. try to understand that the big box houses will attempt to move hardware that is in a damaged box first. Usually this is older stock, floor demos, or hardware put out on the floor taken from a damaged box. The very reason 99% of the boxes are nowhere to be found when you ask for it when purchasing the hardware on display. This is especially true of items shipped from the warehouse. The customer receives the hardware, box is damaged at warehouse or by shipping company, arrives, and is accepted by customer. Most customers will except the damaged box and hardware even if the hardware is scratched or dented. In those cases the reseller will usually offer a small refund or discount. In worst case scenario's the reseller will refer you back to the shipping company, making the problem yours to deal with. But once again, no way does JBL put anything less than what they feel is a perfect product into the carton before it is shipped.

B stock products from Harman are easy to spot. They don't try to hide it.

As a Harman dealer, I've had very good experiences when one of their products come in damaged. It doesn't happen very often but whenever it has they sent me a new item no questions asked and made arrangements to ship back the damaged item at their expense.

Great customer service....for me anyway.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 04:20:52 PM »

Marketing puts a lot of work into making people feel good about a product, in this case pitching the product as the very best in the sub-concert-grade class.  Buyers want a great product they can have confidence and pride in using.

When the product delivery sucks, the consumer feels ripped off.  All the gloss from the marketing effort instant evaporates.  Confidence is lost.  Each use becomes a reminder of the bad experience.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »

I'm doing a shootout later today between the SRX & PRX sub's.

Here they are stacked in my garage.

I'm also very interested to hear how the comparison turns out.
The size/shape of the new SRX sub reminds me of the QSC KW sub.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 05:44:20 PM »

I'm also very interested to hear how the comparison turns out.
The size/shape of the new SRX sub reminds me of the QSC KW sub.
That's what I thought too Tom ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 05:44:20 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.