ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX818 Subs Arrived  (Read 7412 times)

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
Re: SRX818 Subs Arrived
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 11:36:45 PM »

It looks to me like the grill is pushed in at the top left where the box was damaged. I see it in more then one of your pictures.

If you have a close look I think you will find that it's leftover discoloration from where the sawdust was caught in the grill cloth.
The lighter colour tricks the eye/brain into thinking it is light reflected from a concave "dent" (like we have probably seen before and come to associate with a dent).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:40:15 PM by Jonathan Goodall »

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 11:53:07 PM »

What does oil can mean?

I can't believe a new speaker arrived looking like this.

"Oil can" or "to oil can" is the pushing-in and eventual rebound of thin metal that isn't permanently deformed, but has flexed under stress. The term dates back to the days when quarts of motor oil came in thin-walled steel cans.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 11:56:56 PM »

"Oil can" or "to oil can" is the pushing-in and eventual rebound of thin metal that isn't permanently deformed, but has flexed under stress. The term dates back to the days when quarts of motor oil came in thin-walled steel cans.

Ah ok, Mark.  I am old enough to remember those cans and the piercing spouts that you jammed in the top.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Garris

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 12:18:07 AM »

If you have a close look I think you will find that it's leftover discoloration from where the sawdust was caught in the grill cloth.
The lighter colour tricks the eye/brain into thinking it is light reflected from a concave "dent" (like we have probably seen before and come to associate with a dent).

Yes. It's just sawdust stuck to the cloth behind the grill. I'm getting ready to go out and clean it with a toothbrush. The metal grill is all good, symmetrical, no scrapes.

The cabinets look good, but I like the finish of my older PRX a little better. These aren't as black, and the grills have a very slight texture in the paint. The PRX grills are smooth, and have a glossier finish.

David Allred

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 07:35:40 AM »

Yes, I think the "saw dust" is actually from the cardboard disintegration.  Saw dust would be WAAAYYY easier to clean.
A leaking truck, warehouse, etc?  An inner plastic bag solves a lot of customer complaints and returns.
A lot of these subs (are the tops shipped the same?) will experience a corner or side tear in the carton, yielding dust.  Sad really.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 07:56:01 AM »

Not using a plastic bag is something new. I agree that the dust is from the cardboard, and can honestly say that I feel JBL would never pack a cabinet covered with crap of any type. Their quality is just too high. I'm also not surprised that cabinets are packed using cardboard only. The use of foam increases the size of the box, which increases packing and shipping costs.

I do however feel that using a plastic bag over the cabinets would prevent a multitude of issues and have noted that most manufacturers are now shipping sans bag. This appears to be a more recent practice as every JBL cabinet I have unpacked until this point has been wrapped in a plastic bag.

Concerning the "B" stock, or blem you may or may not receive,. try to understand that the big box houses will attempt to move hardware that is in a damaged box first. Usually this is older stock, floor demos, or hardware put out on the floor taken from a damaged box. The very reason 99% of the boxes are nowhere to be found when you ask for it when purchasing the hardware on display. This is especially true of items shipped from the warehouse. The customer receives the hardware, box is damaged at warehouse or by shipping company, arrives, and is accepted by customer. Most customers will except the damaged box and hardware even if the hardware is scratched or dented. In those cases the reseller will usually offer a small refund or discount. In worst case scenario's the reseller will refer you back to the shipping company, making the problem yours to deal with. But once again, no way does JBL put anything less than what they feel is a perfect product into the carton before it is shipped.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Kent Clasen

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 10:39:18 AM »

In the you only hear about the bad stuff more than the good...thought I would chime in as a JBL dealer. We sold a sizable SRX rig, 8 or so 815, 3x 818, 2x 835 for a monitor rig. I believe we were on the front end of them beginning to ship, had to wait a bit. This has been a few months ago. Anyway, I didn't get a chance to personally open the boxes- they had to go right into service by my customer, but no one complained or reported any problems- and I talk often with customer.

Due to shipping companies usual rough handling and mfgs seem to be using packaging as a cost cutting measure, we usually test every piece that comes into our warehouse.

The opening of a new product is very important. First impressions, hard earned money spent etc. Why Apple has created/tried to make it an art.

I can share in the frustration when expectations are not 100% met, or feel let down by a quality company, or worse there is a malfunction, especially when they seem to be avoidable by something as simple as a plastic bag, which has to cost like .05 in Mexico.

Problems do happen, it is the response that can makes the difference.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 11:17:04 AM »

The 'sawdust' might have been caused by the cardboard disintegration in this instance but like I said in my post, my replacement unit has sawdust in the handle recesses and a light amount in various other places. It looks similar to the one pictured here.  With my unit, the box has a hole pierced through it where the hit occurred on the cabinet but there is no cardboard disintegration involved. I have cleaned it up somewhat so I can use it till my (other) replacement comes in.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Andrew Zannetos

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 11:23:37 AM »

Joined because I saw this thread and felt I had to comment.
I bought an SRX818sp recently, and when I was so shocked JBL would send something so valuable with such little shipping protection. I honestly don't know what happened during transit, but something punctured the top of the box, and it took a huge chunk out of the plywood cabinet (puncture was extremely deep). Needless to say, I sent it back and bought a new one.

Steve Garris

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 01:17:14 PM »

I agree that the sawdust is likely from the carton, and it was made worse by the rain we had on the day of the delivery. The cabinet was wet, and that top corner was damp which is why the carton dust stuck to it.

It cleaned up very nicely, and I need to emphasize that I'm really happy with these boxes!
I'm doing a shootout later today between the SRX & PRX sub's.

Here they are stacked in my garage. I'm going to use my board with some recorded music for a L/R comparison. That 618 box on the left is over 2 years old, been in & out of clubs, used on rough concrete for a weekly outdoor concert series, and it still looks almost brand new. I have a touch up paint process that I use on these boxes. I hope the new JBL finish, which is definitely different, holds up as well.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 01:17:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.