ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered wedges outdors  (Read 3350 times)

Ivan Beaver

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9074
  • Atlanta GA
Re: Powered wedges outdors
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 04:23:37 pm »

I'm more concerned about somebody getting electrocuted than ruining my speakers if it rains. Especially with powered speakers.
How could somebody get "electrocuted" on a powered speaker-unless the speaker was taken apart and they had their hands on the inside.

Logged
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Wagner

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1020
  • Richmond, VA
Re: Powered wedges outdors
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 06:33:06 pm »

How could somebody get "electrocuted" on a powered speaker-unless the speaker was taken apart and they had their hands on the inside.
To the OP: Most musician shocks occur between their lips and the microphone (when backline ground is at a different potential than the system ground). The speakers have nothing to do with it.
Logged
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

David Buckley

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 565
Re: Powered wedges outdors
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 06:43:22 pm »

How could somebody get "electrocuted" on a powered speaker-unless the speaker was taken apart and they had their hands on the inside.

Its a moderate stretch, I grant you, but its more likely a damaged mains cable, a conductive path facilitated by water, and a bit of metal indirectly connected to a human. 

The chain of necessary evils is so long that it is unlikely to happen, but who would want to be the responsible person the day the chance in a million happens?  People do win the lottery, and some people have even won multiple jackpots with staggeringly unlikely odds.

Its not the powered speaker per se, its the mains power being present at the front of the stage, in a place where care is frequently not taken.  There are many far more likely shock scenarios in a typical live entertainment event.
Logged

Ivan Beaver

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9074
  • Atlanta GA
Re: Powered wedges outdors
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 07:40:56 pm »

Its a moderate stretch, I grant you, but its more likely a damaged mains cable, a conductive path facilitated by water, and a bit of metal indirectly connected to a human. 

The chain of necessary evils is so long that it is unlikely to happen, but who would want to be the responsible person the day the chance in a million happens?  People do win the lottery, and some people have even won multiple jackpots with staggeringly unlikely odds.

Its not the powered speaker per se, its the mains power being present at the front of the stage, in a place where care is frequently not taken.  There are many far more likely shock scenarios in a typical live entertainment event.
If the "hot" AC comes in contact with the water (which would most likely be in touch with an earth ground) then the breaker feeding that should blow.

If the "hot" should come in contact with the ground of the speaker chassis-then either the breaker/fuse in the amp would blow or the breaker feeding it would blow.

If the argument is presented that an old guitar amp with a"hot" chassis (old Fender for example) is used and the guitar player touches the ground of the speaker chassis and get shocked, then that condition exists REGARDLESS of whether there is any water around or not.
Logged
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Buckley

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 565
Re: Powered wedges outdors
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 09:49:41 pm »

If the "hot" AC comes in contact with the water (which would most likely be in touch with an earth ground) then the breaker feeding that should blow.
Only if sufficient current flows to open the breaker.  A bit of water isn't a great conductor, so 20A+ is not going to flow.  But several milliamps might, and that's enough to shock someone.  If there is a GFCI in play, then that makes the situation safer, as the few milliamps will trip the GFCI.

If the argument is presented that an old guitar amp with a"hot" chassis (old Fender for example) is used and the guitar player touches the ground of the speaker chassis and get shocked, then that condition exists REGARDLESS of whether there is any water around or not.
Indeed, but in the case of the old ungrounded amplifiers with the ground switch on the back, the chassis is connected to the hot or neutral by way of a capacitor, which will limits the current flow.  That cap was usually  0.05uF, which at 60Hz has an impedance of 53K, so the maximum current that could flow is a couple of milliamps, less that a GFCI will object to, but enough to cause a tingle.

Like I said, its all a bit of a stretch.
Logged

Jamin Lynch

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1968
  • Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Powered wedges outdors
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 03:38:32 pm »

How could somebody get "electrocuted" on a powered speaker-unless the speaker was taken apart and they had their hands on the inside.

So the chances of electrocution are not significantly greater with self powered monitors on stage than non powered? That's good to know. I've always been concerned about rain getting into the back of a powered speaker's amp and causing somebody to get hurt.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:50:27 pm by Jamin Lynch »
Logged
MAGA-Make Audio Great Again

Steve Garris

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 1443
Re: Powered wedges outdors
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 03:58:54 pm »

So the chances of electrocution are not significantly greater with self powered monitors on stage than non powered? That's good to know. I've always been concerned about rain getting into the back of a powered speaker's amp and causing somebody to get hurt.

Also has been a concern of mine, but this thread has remedied that.
Logged

Jamin Lynch

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1968
  • Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Powered wedges outdors
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 04:07:16 pm »

Also has been a concern of mine, but this thread has remedied that.

Especially the SRX800's. The back of the amp appears to be pretty "open" to where water can get inside. I guess there are other areas that are more prone to electrocution than powered speakers?

Ivan said it as safe.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 06:15:56 pm by Jamin Lynch »
Logged
MAGA-Make Audio Great Again

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Powered wedges outdors
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 04:07:16 pm »


Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
 



Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.