ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX818 Subs Arrived  (Read 7332 times)

Steve Garris

SRX818 Subs Arrived
« on: September 17, 2015, 08:33:08 PM »

Well me new SRX818sp's arrived today. They were on the delivery truck all day yesterday, and I went to my delivery site and waited 1-1/2 hr late yesterday but they did not show. They went back on the truck today and were received at about 1 pm.

One of the 2 boxes was torn open in the top corner, but my receivers saw no damage to the cabinet other than some sawdust.

I brought them home in my minivan, unboxed, and after a lot of cleaning I powered them up. The rear panel interface is far more complex than my PRX sub's, but I'll get used to them. I printed the manual online - no manual in either box. I was very happy to see a 10 ft V-Lock power cord (I need these for my Yamaha monitors).

I will say JBL needs to do a better job inspecting these cabs. The one with the open corner was covered in sawdust - so bad I'll ne spending an hour tonight with a toothbrush getting the last of the sawdust out of the speaker cloth.

Another bummer is that I could dead-lift my PRX subs by grabbing them from the front, and using the 2 handles that are centered in the sides. I would lift against my thighs and they could be easily placed in my minivan. These subs have 4 handles, so to do it my way, I had to grab a front handle on one side, and the back handle on the other side. A bit of a back twister. If you have room (I don't), be sure and get the double 18 cabs.

I might add casters - they have the mounting holes. I really like the fact that they sit lower, making it easier to pole-mount the tops. They're also more stable with a lower center of gravity.

I'm using them with my PRX615 tops, so looking at the manual, I just used a "generic" top setting with the pass filter at 100 Hz. I turned them up with an ipod playing, and set them at -3.5. When you first turn them on, they are set at -100 and you won't hear any sound. Keep cranking the big knob - for a very long time and you eventually start to hear them as you approach 0. They go from -100 (all the way down), to +12 (max volume). I'll set them up tonight with my board in order to find a good matching volume with my PRX615's set at 12 o'clock.

I'm going to compare them tonight against my PRX618xlf's, but I gotta say - wow, what I heard today was awesome! Unbelievable thump, round and full bass.

Below are some pic's of the unboxing, sawdust, and stacked with the PRX sitting on top. Aside from the mess, I'm a happy camper!

Steve Garris

Re: SRX818 Subs Arrived
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 08:34:54 PM »

More pic's - they cleaned up OK.

Steve Garris

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 08:38:08 PM »

And the 2nd box arrived as you would expect:

Steve Garris

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 08:39:36 PM »

Here they are cleaned up, and stacked, with a PRX615 sitting on top:

Steve Garris

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 08:43:10 PM »

There were some finish issues on the clean one, down at the bottom. Another thing - the grills oil-can. Come on JBL >:( My old PRX cab's don't even come close to doing this.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 08:59:26 PM »

There were some finish issues on the clean one, down at the bottom. Another thing - the grills oil-can. Come on JBL >:( My old PRX cab's don't even come close to doing this.

What does oil can mean?

I can't believe a new speaker arrived looking like this.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 09:25:51 PM »

That 1st cab looks a lot like my replacement cab except yours is not damaged. I am pleased it cleaned up and they both work Steve - that is good news. However, it seems that poor QC is becoming more common at JBL these days….
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 10:03:53 PM »

It looks to me like the grill is pushed in at the top left where the box was damaged. I see it in more then one of your pictures.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 10:55:03 PM »

It looks to me like the grill is pushed in at the top left where the box was damaged. I see it in more then one of your pictures.

I think what you are seeing  Kevin, is the contour of the grille - it is unusual but in the flesh the lines of these cabs are really nice.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 11:36:13 PM »

It looks like the one carton had a truck load strap saw through it during transport. That's what damaged the carton and created all the dust. JBL definitely should at least bag the cabinets to keep them from getting contaminated like that.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 11:36:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.