ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Club Comb Filter  (Read 5780 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Club Comb Filter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 11:01:19 PM »

Haha. Yeah. There are the required CV horn subs for the dance floor.

The music pa has a bunch of 218's under the stage. They are homebrew and not that great!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

David Allred

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 07:29:22 AM »

Those eye-bolts are not rated for load (SWL, WLL, etc), but even if they were, they have no shoulder.  Even if they were, that load rating is reduced to 25% because they are pulled at 90 degrees.  Even if they were, they are extended away from the wall, applying even more torque on the body.  I could mostly forgive if not for the extended eyes.

paul bell

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 07:48:10 AM »

I run into disasters like this all the time. I'm often asked to propose a sound system for install and I'm the highest bidder. The guy that gets it was doing car stereos six moths ago OR he's a DJ/promoter who has a Bose stereo at home so he "knows pro audio" and gets his stuff from some DJ store that sells black duct tape and calls it gaffers tape.

After they do their install and the sound is horrible, the client calls me to help "make it right". Of course, they've spent their sound budget already so there's no funds for me to fix it.

I constantly see guys using Bose in-ceiling speakers with 2" drivers or those crappy EV EVID speakers. Even flown EON cabinets.

Making things worse is venue owners that get credit at Guitar Center and have their gear for "no money now" and have an electrician do the install. They buy what GC pushes them into because it's in stock and it's always terrible. Crossover? Sure just turn these knobs until it sounds right!

Thomas Le

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 11:30:44 AM »

Are these the same guys? http://www.clearlakeaudio.net/

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 11:52:58 AM »

Looks like it, I couldn't find the particular one that is at Tim's location since the website sucks, but the specs are entertaining. They are all class AB amped.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 04:37:42 PM »

I don't mind the ceiling speaker options these days. EV EVID, JBL Control, and even some of the Bose stuff actually does quite well when used as it is intended. Now I'm not saying you should be trying to host parties and have loud music with them, but for the purpose of playing background music they can be tuned to work.

Now getting to the topic at hand...... I will never understand the propensity for people to jump the gap simply for the looks of something? Not that I like ugly looking speakers that sound amazing, but a speaker pretty much looks the same no matter what. If your going to do something, you may as well do it right. Selling the farm to acquire equipment that is not of a known level of quality and spec is a huge gamble.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
Club Comb Filter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 04:40:16 PM »

Yes. These guys have built a ton of pa's "to order". I will assume thats what these were.

All the stuff they sell on the website is self powered I think. I've seen those too and they are just as bad. In fact I've seen several of those where the amp module is loose and falling out.

And I've seen them spell their name with a K and a C. I don't know which is right. I've also seen "Claud" which stands for Clear Lake AUDio.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 04:43:49 PM by Tim Weaver »
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

duane massey

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 12:22:49 AM »

The Houston area has had a long list of dubious sound "manufacturers". There have been a few good ones over the years but certainly a whole lot of very bad companies.
If this was the 60's or the early 70's I'd be a little less critical, as we all built some strange things. I still build some "strange" things, but I know I am an anachronism. What club was this, Tim?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 02:49:48 AM »

Its Cowboys and Coaches in Tyler.

I still run into some Core DJ rigs out here on the road. There's one in Stillwater, and another in Huntsville.

I see some of Opti-Dave's work pretty often as well! His stuff is built like an outdoor masonry latrine!

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 09:21:24 AM »

You win.

I thought I'd worked on some crappy PA's, but this definitely takes the cake

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 09:21:24 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.