ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Club Comb Filter  (Read 5778 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Club Comb Filter
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:19:26 PM »

So I'm doing a gig in a decent club, but it has the worst pa and dj rigs I've ever seen!

The PA is from "Klear Lake Audio". Which is a company in Clear Lake TX that makes boxes with speakers in them without the benefit of engineering. I've run across these Klear Lake boxes several times in Texas. They are always a "line array" style cabinet with components which won't work properly.

These cabs have 2 12's, 2 regular horn flares with I think 1" entry, and 4 ribbon tweeters spaced out on each end of the cabinet. 

You might notice that the horn flares in the middle are basic 90x60 flares that you can buy super cheap anywhere. Also, the ribbons are home hi-fi units from parts express http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pt2c-8-planar-tweeter--275-085

Even as 1 box a side it would be an acoustic disaster. When you stack them 6 high its a nightmare. This rig sounds like dog shit.

And just for fun my monitor guy struck a pose! Lol
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
Re: Club Comb Filter
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:24:02 PM »

And on to the DJ rig.

Its a bunch (a whole bunch!) of harbinger powered 215/horn boxes. Hung up with eyebolts just screwed right into the side there!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 08:27:32 PM »

I wonder what the ribbons are for?  They're not terribly efficient and don't go that high.  The 1" horns will out run them by a huge margin.

Around 10 years ago I built a small "line array" system using these and some 8" woofers.  It had some directivity up high and worked okay in some street festivals.  It was tri-amped and I used Smaart to set up the DSP so other than some comb filtering because I couldn't cross the 8's to the ribbons low enough, they sounded better than the flat faced piles of 15" two ways other folks were using.

When I tore it apart I noticed that several of the tweeters had the polyimide film darkened from excessive heat.  Which takes some serious heat.  I still have these things in a box in my garage if they need any spares.  ;)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 08:32:10 PM »

Haha. I did notice that several of the tweets were dark!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 08:32:57 PM »

And this company builds things that "look cool" and they don't worry too much about how it sounds

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 08:33:05 PM »

And on to the DJ rig.

Its a bunch (a whole bunch!) of harbinger powered 215/horn boxes. Hung up with eyebolts just screwed right into the side

"The eye(bolt)s of Texas are upon you.....la la la...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 09:11:04 PM »

But as long as it is (or looks like) a "line array"-many people will be happy with it.

They don't know why-but they like the "name", because it is "cool to have a line array", everybody knows that-----------

More drivers means better-right?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 09:40:40 PM »

I like the extended, side loaded non-forged eyebolts.  Is there a pool going for when the first one falls on to a patron?
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 10:25:05 PM »

I could write numbers on the bottoms of each cab and we could draw squares.

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 10:29:59 PM »

Are you stuck there? I'd run a strip of gaffers tape down one row of the planars for starters. Then on the DJ rig I'd pull the plug on 2/3rd's of those speakers only leaving the ones on every 20 feet or so. No mention of subs so maybe only play Jonny Cash?

srry, just trying to polish a turd

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 10:29:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.