ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator question  (Read 38607 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Generator question
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 01:32:48 PM »

The outdoor show we just did always provides 2x Honda EU3000's and 2x 10 AWG cables at my request. They work like a charm. I use one for PA only and the other for everything else. Never a stutter,  or a drop and 125 v steady from 12.00pm through to 10.45pm. I can even manage to move them on my own ( not far mind but it just goes to show how small they are)
I would love to own a couple.
The bigger beastly looking generators might look like they are more capable but not necessarily so.
Debbie, a single EU6500 is preferable to two EU3000s.  If you do run more than one generator, make sure that you are connecting the grounds of both generators together with a heavy wire so that any current flowing on ground wires happens on your ground jumper rather than the shield wire of your audio cables.

kel mcguire

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 01:45:24 PM »

Debbie, a single EU6500 is preferable to two EU3000s.  If you do run more than one generator, make sure that you are connecting the grounds of both generators together with a heavy wire so that any current flowing on ground wires happens on your ground jumper rather than the shield wire of your audio cables.

Honda makes a link sync kit for running two of the same model generator. I bought the kit since I rent the EUs quite often.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 02:07:04 PM »

Whoa - wait - what?......... The Gennys and cables are already set up when we get there so what should I be looking for to be sure this is being done right??....This Grounding thing is out of my league
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 02:15:19 PM »

Per Kels post:

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-parallel-capability

But I agree with TJ.  Go with a single 6500.  The parallel kits will run the master unit low on fuel before the second unit as they will be loaded in series rather than parallel.  This shortens your run time.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 02:16:02 PM »

I thought Debbie said she is using them independently.  One for sound.  And the other for lights and any concession stands etc.  I don't think there are any common connections between them.  At least I hope there isn't a DMX controller in the outboard rack screwed to the same rail, or some such.

Would it be better for her to run a distro off the 30A plug?

I fortunately have not had to deal with Genny gigs but I'm trying to understand the options should one ever come up.  I do have a CA plug distro that I could adapt to the 30A on the EU6000 if thats a better way to go.

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 05:44:13 PM »

I thought Debbie said she is using them independently.  One for sound.  And the other for lights and any concession stands etc.  I don't think there are any common connections between them.  At least I hope there isn't a DMX controller in the outboard rack screwed to the same rail, or some such.

Would it be better for her to run a distro off the 30A plug?

I fortunately have not had to deal with Genny gigs but I'm trying to understand the options should one ever come up.  I do have a CA plug distro that I could adapt to the 30A on the EU6000 if thats a better way to go.
I read, one for PA, second for all other stuff. So if she has say a bass amp powered by the second generator and it is DIed to the board there is your link on the small ground.

Art Hays

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 05:47:12 PM »

But I agree with TJ.  Go with a single 6500.  The parallel kits will run the master unit low on fuel before the second unit as they will be loaded in series rather than parallel.  This shortens your run time.

I tried to learn how paralleling works but couldn't find anything technical.  There parallel cables/kits just connect the two inverter outputs together.  The inverters don't communicate with each other via any other signal lines.  So they must accomplish synchronization by looking only at their outputs or some sort of communication protocol.  Perhaps by sending some type of high frequency signals to each other on top of the 60Hz sine wave?  And by designating master/slave units?

Seems a big disadvantage if they don't each supply 50% to the load when paralleled.

P.S. in my previous post to this thread I incorrectly said one could connect two 110v inverter generators and have the option to get 220v (each running 180 deg out of phase from the other). They don't do this- paralleling always connects the two outputs together so they have to be in phase.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 05:50:01 PM by Art Hays »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 06:04:52 PM »

I read, one for PA, second for all other stuff. So if she has say a bass amp powered by the second generator and it is DIed to the board there is your link on the small ground.
In that case, I agree.  Single larger generator.  Anything connected to both systems without them being bonded together is probably asking for trouble.  Especially if one of them starts to go south.

I can understand the comfort of redundancy but never the twain shall meet.

It looks as though the larger model is capable of balancing loads between the two sets of Edison outlets if you turn off the 240 outlet.  Is this better than running a distro out of the 240 outlet and trying to balance the loads manually?

jim whitmer

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 10:05:32 AM »

In my part of the country, an EU6500 rents for $135/day, which provides 30A 240V, with 2 20A 120V circuits on the front panel.  It is also under the 10KW limit where a permit and an inspection are required. 
I run significantly more gear than the OP, and have had no issues on the EU6500.
The 6500 runs 3 or 4 IT4k's for FOH, 5 powered wedges, backline, and smaller led lightshow without issue.

David Allred

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 01:30:10 PM »

General answer - It depends on if you like Burger King or Wendy's. 8)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 01:30:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.