ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to draw the line? clients and payments?  (Read 5778 times)

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
Re: Where to draw the line? clients and payments?
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »

Sorry Bob - that sucks.

You're telling me....

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 06:39:15 PM »

Dyslexia kicked in , was a handshake deal going on. its a wedding related gig so a 1 time only client.

Missed deopsit deadline was more due to scheduling and honestly wanting to be paid out cash for the job. Was booked in late summer so unlike ones I am booking now which are for 2016..... even a couple 2017 it want really worth the time and waste of 2 hours to meet them over such a small amount on a job so soon.

I'm up in Canada.

Essentially with a personal check if you deposit it to your account it still can take up to 28 working days to completly clear leaving you save with your money. Depends on where it was drawn from. credit union check deposit to a major 5 bank can take a while sometimes. Mostly its settles in 10 days or less but not always.

The only true way to actually "Cash" a check is to take it to the bank it was drawn on , the physical branch and only then at the discretion of the branch manager. Check is a negotiable item. I prefer the interac transfer system we have up here now, its instant and final.

Also Did I mention the 14% tax we have up here on goods and services rendered? We like our cash.

I like Interac eTransfers.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 07:40:59 AM »

I don't believe I would have put that on the internet!  :)
We like our cash and ALWAYS charge the appropriate taxes....right Richard? ;)
None of my clients or jobs is not charged  the HST.
It's just part of the biz.

As for the OP, call and say they have failed to fulfil their part of the deal and you won't do the job.
As stated earlier, I bet that lights a fire.

I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 07:49:58 AM »

We like our cash and ALWAYS charge the appropriate taxes....right Richard? ;)
None of my clients or jobs is not charged  the HST.
It's just part of the biz.

As for the OP, call and say they have failed to fulfil their part of the deal and you won't do the job.
As stated earlier, I bet that lights a fire.

"I am simply unable to hold your reservation any longer without a signed contract and deposit. Since I have another client asking about your date, do you want to confirm the show now, with the deposit, or can I release your date to this other client? Thank you!"

Easy enough. Yeah, I don't like the ethical position of lying about this other, imaginary customer, but this way the client you do have sees that they need to complete the booking process in advance of their event, or it's not that you won't show up (well, you won't) but that another client is going to hire you away.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 08:29:23 AM »

First thing you need to understand about the wedding industry....everything is paid weeks in advance.   If not, you have no money and they are still married and don't care about you and never will!  You won't get paid for wedding work if not paid in advance!

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 10:39:24 AM »

First thing you need to understand about the wedding industry....everything is paid weeks in advance.   If not, you have no money and they are still married and don't care about you and never will!  You won't get paid for wedding work if not paid in advance!
I'd suspect if you're in the business for awhile, there's litmus tests.

Example:  One of my neighbors is the managing director for the local cemetery district.  A while back he explained his primary litmus tests concerning cemetery customers.  As I understand his explanation, caskets are buried/housed in concrete sarcophagus.  The sarcophagus is a concrete containment box for the casket so burial plots can be dug "tight" next to previous.  As I understand there's 3 grades of sarcophagus... the cheapest is referred to as "county grade", which is structurally and functionally the same as the standard grade, only the county grade has some blems or such that discounts it's cost.  Mid-priced is "standard grade", and the high-priced model is referred to as "the Cadillac".  All three models do exactly the same job... and look exactly the same to the audience the day of the funeral... it's a concrete box in the ground that the casket gets lowered into.  The cemetery manager explained that if the county grade sarcophagus is specified, the check(s) paying for the funeral and such will generally be "good as gold"... payment is "never a problem".  If the standard grade sarcophagus is specified, payment is generally "no problem", but might take awhile.  And almost universally, if the Cadillac sarcophagus is specified, the funeral arrangements are likely being funded with "borrowed money", or ? ... and getting paid is generally "iffy"... especially if deferred to the "day of the show" or "after the fact".
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:42:22 AM by W. Mark Hellinger »

James A. Griffin

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 11:02:58 AM »

+1

Getting my daughter marrried a few years ago was like managing a mult-stage festival where  you're booking the bands,  food vendors, and caterer.    Lots of moving parts and everyone wanted 50% - 100% in advance, which was fine with me.  The last thing I needed to think about on that day was writing the checks and getting them delivered.   

Your client should know this drill and understand that he's not likely to get you to show up without some sort of advance payment.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 06:18:06 AM »

Or cash when you show up. Or it goes back into the trailer. I have checks for future weddings laying in front of me right now. I've yet to be stiffed by a wedding couple but had to track down a groom the day after who didn't have his checkbook the day of and it was was a "delivery and set up" and then I had to leave to do another gig. I got paid but it was sketchy for a few minutes. The bride's family ended up pooling their cash together to pay me. Prior to that incident I was getting paid the day of usually and never had an issue.

I used to not like taking money in advance because it always felt like I was working for free the day of but I've changed my mind on that.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Jelmer de Jong

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »

Can't they just transfer the money from their account to your account? On the other side of the ocean transfer of money within the same bank is almost instantanious, between banks several hours and between countries takes a day. Two days max if there is some holiday going on and the bank uses it as downtime to do some maintenance.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.