ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to draw the line? clients and payments?  (Read 5727 times)

Richard Turner

Where to draw the line? clients and payments?
« on: September 15, 2015, 08:54:09 AM »

Have a handshake deal ongoing and it suits me to not have drawn a contract up on this one.

Client has missed a deadline for deposit, is not wanting to take the 10 minutes to meet and seems to think its "fine" to just have a personal check waiting at the gig. I've explained on phone and email twice already all checks must be bank draft or certified and the quoted rate was for prepaid in cash.

I just dont think they realize I'm not kidding, nothing leaves the truck till I'm cash in hand. Personal check payment would have had to happen 5 weeks ago to know it cleared.

How much leeway do any of you allow?
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
Re: Where to draw the line? clients and payments?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 09:20:09 AM »

We take 50% to reserve the date and the balance upon arrival before unloading.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 09:44:25 AM »

Have a handshake deal ongoing and it suits me to not have drawn a contract up on this one.

Client has missed a deadline for deposit, is not wanting to take the 10 minutes to meet and seems to think its "fine" to just have a personal check waiting at the gig. I've explained on phone and email twice already all checks must be bank draft or certified and the quoted rate was for prepaid in cash.

I just dont think they realize I'm not kidding, nothing leaves the truck till I'm cash in hand. Personal check payment would have had to happen 5 weeks ago to know it cleared.

The times they are a changing...

I used to prefer a handshake, especially with clients I've had for years.

Unfortunately not anymore. I showed up for one of the jobs I've had for 35 years only to find out someone new on their board found another company and saved $200....

It cost me more than that for truck loading, employee wages and driving time to get to the gig. Not to mention the $14,000 I lost on payment for the gig.

Dyllan had it right.

Bob Cap

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 09:58:52 AM »

It depends on the relationship.  I never leave the house without a signed contract.  I may be somewhat flexible with payment terms if I trust the client, but if there are any red flags, I take action.

In this particular situation, it seems prudent to say that unless you at least get the deposit in cash or certified check before the day of, you're not showing up, and that you're not unloading the truck until the balance is paid in cash or certified check.

Bad business is not better than no business.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 09:59:06 AM »

The times they are a changing...

I used to prefer a handshake, especially with clients I've had for years.

Unfortunately not anymore. I showed up for one of the jobs I've had for 35 years only to find out someone new on their board found another company and saved $200....

It cost me more than that for truck loading, employee wages and driving time to get to the gig. Not to mention the $14,000 I lost on payment for the gig.

Dyllan had it right.

Bob Cap
Sorry Bob - that sucks.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 10:42:13 AM »

...Client has missed a deadline for deposit...

That should have been the breaking point. Call the client and tell him that the deal is off due to his failure to make advanced deposit. I'd bet he would drop what he is doing and come to your house/office within that same hour.

On the other hand, if it's an ongoing deal that has always worked before, why are you suddenly not accepting his checks?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:45:23 AM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 11:05:15 AM »

I work predominantly in the film & tv post world, so the amount of leeway we give depends on our history with the client.

Old reliable, regular clients would get the benefit of the doubt. New clients, and clients from out of town/state/country get stricter deadlines.

Personal check payment would have had to happen 5 weeks ago to know it cleared.

Slightly off-topic, but holy crap!

Which third-world country are you banking in?   :o

Down here, all cheques usually take 3 business days to clear from when the bank receives it...and we complain bitterly about it.

I guess we're just used to "instant everything" in this day and age.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Richard Turner

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 12:10:19 PM »

Which third-world country are you banking in?   :o

Dyslexia kicked in , was a handshake deal going on. its a wedding related gig so a 1 time only client.

Missed deopsit deadline was more due to scheduling and honestly wanting to be paid out cash for the job. Was booked in late summer so unlike ones I am booking now which are for 2016..... even a couple 2017 it want really worth the time and waste of 2 hours to meet them over such a small amount on a job so soon.

I'm up in Canada.

Essentially with a personal check if you deposit it to your account it still can take up to 28 working days to completly clear leaving you save with your money. Depends on where it was drawn from. credit union check deposit to a major 5 bank can take a while sometimes. Mostly its settles in 10 days or less but not always.

The only true way to actually "Cash" a check is to take it to the bank it was drawn on , the physical branch and only then at the discretion of the branch manager. Check is a negotiable item. I prefer the interac transfer system we have up here now, its instant and final.

Also Did I mention the 14% tax we have up here on goods and services rendered? We like our cash.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Rick Powell

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 01:07:10 PM »

Also Did I mention the 14% tax we have up here on goods and services rendered? We like our cash.

I don't believe I would have put that on the internet!  :)

kel mcguire

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »

On a one-time job, a check is a little scary, especially if you don't know anyone well. We can call the bank to see if there are enough funds for the check to clear. Can you do that in Canada?

I'd factor in a lot of circumstantial evidence into my decision:
-Is the place nice?
-Can you ask the venue, food services and wedding planner if they've been compensated?
-Does your contact seem sketchy? Busy before a wedding is one thing, sketchy and low class another..
-Can you still get the client to sign off on the gig, noting that you fulfilled your part of the deal to satisfaction?  Sketchy types can try to get out of paying, claiming you jacked up their wedding somehow..

document everything said.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.