ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: It's that time of year again...  (Read 11511 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
It's that time of year again...
« on: September 14, 2015, 10:07:57 pm »

Today was the first day of shop prep for my annual Clinton Global Initiative meeting. This year there are only a few changes from last year. Well... maybe that's not quite true, 40-50 audio destinations changed from analog audio getting embedded via AJA FS1 frame syncs to Madi because the video company just got a Snell 830 96x144 video and audio router that takes Madi in. And we moved one of my three consoles to another floor of the building, oh yeah, we extended our Dante network up to the 5th floor to get audio and comm up to a studio there. Other than that it's the same. We're also up to 7 pairs of Pathport Via12 switches.

I was hoping to just load last year's Dante Controller file, but alas it does not seem to work. I will be talking to tech support to find out why, but I have an idea of why it didn't work. We have not been renaming the Dante devices, but Dante routing in based on device names (I think). so when I put together the system this year I have approximately the same devices, but not the exact same hardware as last year. I set the Device ID to be the same, so in Controller each device has the right "Y00x" name, but the devices names also have additional text that seems to have to do with identifying the exact device. Since we didn't change the names last year, the new devices don't match, and won't load correctly in Dante Controller. I may be wrong about this, and I am going to talk to Audinate to clarify this, but my guess is that my problem is the old default names. If this is confirmed by Audinate I will be carefully renaming all the devices this year. Horse-Barn Door.

At least the console files loaded.

Tomorrow I will be sitting at Dante Controller repatching 3 consoles, 8 Rios, 3 Ro8s, and 1 RMio64 Dante-Madi bridge. There is some redundancy in my patch sheets, but there are 458 lines of patches in the spreadsheet I used to track the patching.

Load in starts next Monday, and we don't know who the band is yet. Business as usual.

Mac

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • back home in Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: It's that time of year again...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 10:15:50 am »

No pics? This thread fails.   :P
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 10:27:06 am »

OK. first things first...

Here is my breakfast.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 10:28:09 am »

Here is the hardware for 6 of the 7 remote zones.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 10:30:11 am »

Zone 7, the plenary sessions.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 09:40:09 pm »

Today our RMio64-D showed up and we got it installed, but have been unable to test it yet. Tomorrow we will get to that, using a Digico SD9 as a headphone amp. I guess first I'll have to route all 64 channels of madi to faders on the console so I can cue them. The shop owns a couple of DirectOut MA2CHBox Madi monitoring stations but they were both out on Broadway shows. That sure would be easier. Unfortunately the video router isn't quite as flexible as we were all led to believe. We were planning on embedding 4ch audio on the first 4 channels of 24 video channels, and having the router add 4ch of translation on the router outputs when needed. As it turns out you can't embed 2 4ch groups individually, only 8ch at once, and you can't embed on the video inputs with the current software, only on outputs. We can get around the no embedding on inputs by taking the inputs and routing out and back into the router with embedded audio. Having to do all 8ch at once just means I'll have to do a Dante patch if we need to add translation to any of the video paths.

Back to work tomorrow...

Mac

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 02:36:55 am »

I assume a lot of people here are aware of what this event is... but I'm not.  Can you enlighten me?

Steve.

Neil White

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 07:48:16 am »

Today our RMio64-D showed up and we got it installed, but have been unable to test it yet. Tomorrow we will get to that, using a Digico SD9 as a headphone amp. I guess first I'll have to route all 64 channels of madi to faders on the console so I can cue them.

You can use the new line check mode to avoid patching, if you open up the audio I/O page and view the MADI port. On the cards and sockets tab there is a line check button that lets you tap a channel and then PFL it.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 08:36:45 am »

You can use the new line check mode to avoid patching, if you open up the audio I/O page and view the MADI port. On the cards and sockets tab there is a line check button that lets you tap a channel and then PFL it.
Thanks!
I assume a lot of people here are aware of what this event is... but I'm not.  Can you enlighten me?

This is an event covering 7 spaces in a hotel in NY during the General Assembly meeting of the UN. It is the annual meeting of The Clinton Global Initiative. It happens during the General Assembly so that all the world leaders are in town anyway and can speak at CGI. I mix the video distribution and broadcast feeds for all 7 venues in master control in the basement of the hotel. We have about 20 record decks, and close to 50 outbound video lines that can have any of the 7 venues, or graphics or video. It runs for 4 days in late September, with about 4 days of load in and rehearsal.

Mac

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 08:50:06 am »

Thanks.  Sounds hectic!

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 08:50:06 am »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.