Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Console Connectivity Solutions

Fiber Polarity on an audio network (Yamaha/Dante)

(1/2) > >>

John Penkala:
      I am building racks for a multiple Yamaha RIO/Dante network. I'm using Cisco SG300 troughout the network with the LX GBIC modules. I have some panels fitted with OpticalCon Duo connectors that use either LC (A to A) or LC (A to B) patch cables. Currently, I am planning to use the LC (A to A) patch cables inside the racks and reverse the polarity on the long fiber cables (500-1000ft) used to connect the different racks together. This seems to be the most logical way to configure the system as there will be many different racks used in different configurations.  Is there a standard or best practice for configuring fiber or is whatever works the norm? Thanks.

JP

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: John Penkala on September 14, 2015, 04:40:15 PM ---      I am building racks for a multiple Yamaha RIO/Dante network. I'm using Cisco SG300 troughout the network with the LX GBIC modules. I have some panels fitted with OpticalCon Duo connectors that use either LC (A to A) or LC (A to B) patch cables. Currently, I am planning to use the LC (A to A) patch cables inside the racks and reverse the polarity on the long fiber cables (500-1000ft) used to connect the different racks together. This seems to be the most logical way to configure the system as there will be many different racks used in different configurations.  Is there a standard or best practice for configuring fiber or is whatever works the norm? Thanks.

JP

--- End quote ---

If it was me, I'd have the cables be straight through in case you have to extend them. A-B cables change their configuration every time you extend them.

Mac

David Sturzenbecher:

--- Quote from: Mac Kerr on September 14, 2015, 07:34:16 PM ---If it was me, I'd have the cables be straight through in case you have to extend them. A-B cables change their configuration every time you extend them.

Mac

--- End quote ---

I have really only used fiber in installs so I haven't ever thought about this.  Do you need to have A racks and B racks.   Where one is normal and one is reversed?

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: David Sturzenbecher on September 14, 2015, 11:36:12 PM ---I have really only used fiber in installs so I haven't ever thought about this.  Do you need to have A racks and B racks.   Where one is normal and one is reversed?

--- End quote ---

Yes, but isn't that how you go about wiring a network anyway?

Mac

John Penkala:

--- Quote from: Mac Kerr on September 14, 2015, 07:34:16 PM ---If it was me, I'd have the cables be straight through in case you have to extend them. A-B cables change their configuration every time you extend them.

Mac

--- End quote ---

Mac,
      I was hoping you would respond.  Thank you. You got me thinking.  I think I should designate one pair of fiber connections on the panel as inputs and the other pair as outputs. I could then use the reversed polarity LC patches (A-B) just on the inputs of all of the racks and keep the outputs wired (A-A) and use straight (A-A) cables to connect the racks. I'm guessing this is how it's normally done.

JP

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version