ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen Heath QU 24  (Read 5669 times)

John Chiara

Allen Heath QU 24
« on: September 14, 2015, 12:32:01 PM »

QU 24
Got called to mix a show on a QU 24 last weekend....the band's Presonus StudioLive had been damaged by a brownout...they thought.
I am an X32 man...never touched a QU.
Faders felt good. One channel had a select button that would not work unless you hit the solo button on and off. I was not up on how to set up custom levels on the console or iPad app so I realize I was a bit crippled. It appeared, that when output mixes and FX were chosen the channel faders go into sends on fader mode....not sure if this is can be modified but falls into the category of 'dangerous' to me. If 'L-R is NOT chosen...you are not controlling channels to main outputs. I do not like these kind of setups,,,,ala Mackie digitalis and the Behringer X-Air series.
AND...no scribble strips! Had tape on the board in a very dark space...not good for me.
I mix mostly on iPad on the X32 these days and I also dislike the 'scrolling' setup of many iPad apps. The QU iPad app actually let's you scroll freely...not in groups...BUT... It greys out the channel controls until the app stops scrolling....a whole second  or more delay from the time you stop scrolling until you can move a fader. I much prefer the X32 app method of choosing the group of 8 by tapping the meter display at the top of the app....as well as the display of ALL inputs and outputs on the same meters during all operating modes.

FX seem limited and no plug ins were available....although FX can be inserted. I ended up using FX sends as I could not get the FX returns to work. I am sure just my being unfamiliar with the setup.
Comps and gates worked pretty well and were easy to get adjusted.
I am sure others can tell me ways to make the workflow better.

Sent from my iPad

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
Re: Allen Heath QU 24
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 01:28:52 PM »

Hi John!

I'll show my ignorance, how do other boards not use sends on faders? But you are right, you better have the layer selected that you think you do, or you're in trouble.

You really need to make sure you get back the LR mix, I do it by not even thinking about it now, go to a mix or effect, then when Im done hit LR to get back home, its second nature.

Ive found that setting up a custom layer with 3 DCAs to the left (drums, inst, voc), then 8 inst chans, then 4 voc chans, then finally effect sends for the last 4 chans works well for me. I don't miss the scribble strips, I wouldn't be able to read them anyway, I need big thick black marker on tape for contrast (with a gooseneck lamp).

I always tend to select a channel when moving a fader, that way I can see what the chan is doing, I can't recall what is displayed when you select a chan when not on the LR layer....

Theres lots of effects in the lib, I use 1 verb for vocs, a plate for drums, a tap delay and one that's a doubler that if you max out the time you can use for a slapback.

I like the QU, its a decent tool. BTW I listened to 4 days of a LS9 though a Dynacord system, a headliner brought in their X32 (IEM support), it was an immediate A/B with the LS9, I was not impressed by the sound at all, maybe it was me, but the mid detail just wasn't there, maybe it was just me.

Best,
Mike

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 01:42:27 PM »

I don't know about "grayed out" channels but suspect it may be a touch/speed thing.  I do not experience this, but with three layers to work with (channels/custom 1/custom 2) I prefer to select my screen instead of scrolling if possible.  I set up my kit, vox and anything else I want single-fader control over as DCA's, so my custom layers can have what I want to work on without scrolling...or at least not more than a channel or two.  It's all about the setup, but it can be made simple...and fast.

As to the sends on faders stuff it's just a matter of getting used to it.  You don't have to select L/R to leave the Mix you're working on, just press that Mix button and it reverts to the main layer, sort of an "in/out" thing.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Chiara

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 02:57:20 PM »

I use sends on faders a lot of the time...but during a show I like to be able to adjust FX and buss sends while still having faders available to mix on....especially if balancing a channel and an FX send. A lot of what you describe makes sense and I will get more familiar in case I get a return call!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 03:07:02 PM »

I use sends on faders a lot of the time...but during a show I like to be able to adjust FX and buss sends while still having faders available to mix on....especially if balancing a channel and an FX send. A lot of what you describe makes sense and I will get more familiar in case I get a return call!

If you want to "go pro", use two iPads with the desk.  If you REALLY want to up the ante, make that second iPad one of the new 12" screen "iJumbo's" coming out.

The custom layers in the app have channel naming (6 character limit).  The whole trick is to set up your control options using the surface and the two,custom layers.  You can mix on the surface and tweak FX send levels in the app, but that's pretty busy work...way beyond what I have to do.  I like to set 'em up and let 'em play.  I'll push solos and maybe tweak a harmony balance, but that's about it for active mixing...unless you count band dynamics over the course of a set or an evening.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Chiara

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 11:24:37 AM »

Hi John!

I'll show my ignorance, how do other boards not use sends on faders? But you are right, you better have the layer selected that you think you do, or you're in trouble.

On the X32/M/32 you can switch to sends in faders for channels or groups...but there is always dedicated knobs for those same adjustments. For instance...I can select s channel...go to the desired buss control and adjust it...without disrupting the normal mix at all...like an analog console.
This is essential for any kind of 'send automation' style mixing...like sending only the last word of a phrase to delay effect.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 11:24:37 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 24 queries.