Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Wireless and Communications

RF system preparation

<< < (2/2)

Henry Cohen:

--- Quote from: Neil White on September 12, 2015, 05:04:32 PM ---There has been plenty of discussion about RF cable, but mostly with regard to the connection between rack and antenna. Are people using the manufacturer supplied cables  (often RG58) that come with most equipment for connections within the rack between receivers and antenna distro for example? Or is there an advantage to building short links with something like LMR-195?
--- End quote ---

In high RF noise environments using double shielded coax for short jumpers will reduce stray RF from getting into the coax and decreasing the CNR in the receiver front end.

Don Boomer:
LMR-195 is pretty cheap insurance. Since you never know which straw is gonna break the camel's back I use it for all my small diameter coax.

Jason Glass:

--- Quote from: Don Boomer on September 13, 2015, 11:21:03 AM ---LMR-195 is pretty cheap insurance. Since you never know which straw is gonna break the camel's back I use it for all my small diameter coax.

--- End quote ---
Same here. They make leakage losses and crosstalk a non-issue.

Lyle Williams:
While LMR-195 is a nice coax for the size/price, I think the benefits can be overstated.

My internal rack jumpers are LMR-195, but if I somehow kinked or broke a cable in the field I'd swap it out for cheaper RG-58 without hesitation. 

If I was truely caught short I'd even swap it out for a cable with the wrong characteristic impedance like RG-59.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version