Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

The Modern Role of studio monitors

(1/1)

zachzaba:
So the reality of the listener these days in on ear buds, laptop speakers and >3inch  computer  speakers but I was just curious what a lot of the "home mixers" used in their set ups?

Do you have a 8"+ speaker set as well and if not what types of common adjustments become neccissary when you move your final mix to the car or even PA?

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: zachzaba on March 25, 2011, 07:13:45 PM ---So the reality of the listener these days in on ear buds, laptop speakers and >3inch  computer  speakers but I was just curious what a lot of the "home mixers" used in their set ups?

Do you have a 8"+ speaker set as well and if not what types of common adjustments become neccissary when you move your final mix to the car or even PA?

--- End quote ---

This question would be more appropriate in the REP recording forums, which you can reach via the link in the announcements section.

Mac

Kellen Tyburski:

--- Quote from: zachzaba on March 25, 2011, 07:13:45 PM ---So the reality of the listener these days in on ear buds, laptop speakers and >3inch  computer  speakers but I was just curious what a lot of the "home mixers" used in their set ups?

--- End quote ---

Not sure if this ever made it into the REP forum.. but....
I do some mixing at home, I have a pair of Focal CMS65's that work wonderfully.  But considering the large box of a room I'm workin in, I like to test on as many different speaker systems I can, and that means in the car as well! I find myself making corrections to the lows, and the low mids mostly. I have a pair of mix cubes, and I use headphones (even ear buds) to listen to my mixes as well. I've moved 3 times in the past year, so I still have not become confident with mixing at home and not checking my mixes on other systems.

John Livings:

[Do you have a 8"+ speaker set as well and if not what types of common adjustments become neccissary when you move your final mix to the car or even PA?]

We use a Pair of HR-824s for editing, They are supposed to be "Flat". It is a good starting point.

If it sounds good thru the monitors, It should sound fine when played thru a Home Theater System or an I-Pod.

We sometimes use Sound Effects that go below 45 Hz, If it is really important to Preview this before a Show or DVD,
I will set up the Subs (QW-218s) and run the Lows thru them. (QW-4s on top) It is however a seldom used option for us.

Regards,  John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version