ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EV EKX18sp vs JBL PRX718XLF and QSC KW181?  (Read 7619 times)

Richard Penrose

EV EKX18sp vs JBL PRX718XLF and QSC KW181?
« on: September 11, 2015, 01:12:40 pm »

Hi,

I'm still looking to upgrade my subs at some point and have heard lots of good things about the JBL PRX718xlf and QSC KW181 in particular as they've been around longer than the EV EKX's. I've heard the QSC KW181's (with KW153 tops) recently at a small outdoor festival and was quite impressed with how big an area they filled soundwise - noticeably more than my ELX118p's.
I've been told the PRX718XLF's go deeper and sound "more musicalwhilst the QSC's have more thump?
I've narrowed my list down to these as they are powered and all weigh under 40kg.

Recently EV released the EKX18sp and I'm wondering if anyone has heard how these compare to the PRX718xlf's and QSC KW181's? There are a few very positive user reviews of the EKX18sp's coming through at Sam Ash, ZZ Sounds and Amazon but I'd like to know how they compare to my ELX 118p's and the JBL's and QSC's.

Price wise there is a reasonable difference in price between all these models :-

EV EKX18sp - 1499 per pair
JBL PRX718xlf - 1910 per pair
QSC KW181's - 2130 per pair

On paper there doesn't appear to be a lot of difference in specs. The JBL's would appear to go a little lower but I'd like to know how they perform for real.

Does anyone have any real world experience with more than one of these models?

I do like my EV ELX118p's but would love to have something that goes a little louder to keep up with my DXR15 tops and go deeper (without sounding boomy/muddy) with more punch.

Anyone heard the EKX18sp's and either the PRX718xlf's or KW181's?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: EV EKX18sp vs JBL PRX718XLF and QSC KW181?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 01:41:35 pm »

Hi,

I'm still looking to upgrade my subs at some point and have heard lots of good things about the JBL PRX718xlf and QSC KW181 in particular as they've been around longer than the EV EKX's. I've heard the QSC KW181's (with KW153 tops) recently at a small outdoor festival and was quite impressed with how big an area they filled soundwise - noticeably more than my ELX118p's.
I've been told the PRX718XLF's go deeper and sound "more musicalwhilst the QSC's have more thump?
I've narrowed my list down to these as they are powered and all weigh under 40kg.

Recently EV released the EKX18sp and I'm wondering if anyone has heard how these compare to the PRX718xlf's and QSC KW181's? There are a few very positive user reviews of the EKX18sp's coming through at Sam Ash, ZZ Sounds and Amazon but I'd like to know how they compare to my ELX 118p's and the JBL's and QSC's.

Price wise there is a reasonable difference in price between all these models :-

EV EKX18sp - 1499 per pair
JBL PRX718xlf - 1910 per pair
QSC KW181's - 2130 per pair

On paper there doesn't appear to be a lot of difference in specs. The JBL's would appear to go a little lower but I'd like to know how they perform for real.

Does anyone have any real world experience with more than one of these models?
I do like my EV ELX118p's but would love to have something that goes a little louder to keep up with my DXR15 tops and go deeper (without sounding boomy/muddy) with more punch.

Anyone heard the EKX18sp's and either the PRX718xlf's or KW181's?

No experience with the EV EKX18's but I own PRX718xlf subs and DXR15 tops. I do not own KW181's but I have heard  and compared them and I have heard and compared the ELX118's also.

My take: as you already have DSP built into the tops, you can use a sub with no HP. The QSC has no HP but the JBL does.
I chose the PRX718's over the KW181's because I owned PRX612's which have no HP built in and  I could use the  HP in the subs - they also sounded more musical to me. However many of the forum mambers own the KW's and love them- they are excellent subs.
Either of these subs will blow away the ELX118's - not so much in sound quality because the ELX's are surprisingly good for the money- but in SPL.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Richard Penrose

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 01:54:43 pm »

Thanks Debbie. Yes the ELX118p's do sound surprisingly good. I pair 1000 for a new pair which is excellent value for money! I would prefer to have a sub with built in HPF as this would broaden my choices if I decide to upgrade my tops to something like the new RCF 735a or 745a.
I'm leaning more towards the PRX718xlf over the QSC KW181's due to having a HPF, deeper frequency response and slightly lighter weight.

I'd love to hear if anyone has had experience with the new EV EKX18sp's and either the the JBL's or QSC's?

Steve Garris

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 04:12:22 pm »

FWIW I've had a pair of 618xlf's for a couple of years now, and have mixed on the KW-181's as well. I preferred the extra "thump" that the KW's gave me. Both sub's are very good though.

I just ordered new SRX818sp's that will likely replace my 618xlf's.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 05:23:57 pm »

Wish I could get to hear all these subs myself but due to location and most stores not stocking all of the subs it's not possible.
The SRX818sp's look great but they cost 2700 per pair where I live which is completely outside my budget!
Due to the lack of HPF on the KW181 which I wasn't aware of I am more interested to know how the EKX18sp compares to the PRX 718XLF.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 07:11:07 am »

I own the QSC KW181 subs and remain very happy with the purchase.  I use them when my band plays in larger bars and smallish outside events in which we provide the rig.  I did compare them to the JBL PRX 18" subs and prefer the QSC. 

Tonight I went out to see/hear my friend's band and they were using two EKX subs, which were placed in front of the small stage about 15 feet apart.  It was their soundman's first time using them, so he really didn't know what to expect either.  The room is about 80-100 feet deep and 40-50 feet wide, with tall ceilings.  The band played at one end of the short side.  Overall band level was quite hot.  Even so, the bass drum and bass guitar cut through easily. 

It's hard to say how they'd compare to the QSC and JBL without doing a side-by-side, but I can say the EV subs sounded quite good in that space, producing clean, deep bass with no evidence of strain.  Nothing scientific; just my ears.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 04:49:42 pm »

Thanks for the post.

Has anyone tried the new TurboSound IQ18B's?

Richard Penrose

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 04:23:00 pm »

I've just come across these FBT Subline 18SA subs whilst searching for options

FBT Elettronica S.p.a - 1200W RMS 137dB SPL Processed Active Subwoofer

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried those?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 04:23:00 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.