ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acostic Guitar Mic suggestions  (Read 2534 times)

A.J. McGlynn

Acostic Guitar Mic suggestions
« on: October 20, 2005, 09:32:09 PM »

Hi, I am new here and ny church has been growing like crazy and I have been in the process of expanding my church's equipment. I have mainly been focusing on our aresnal of mics. No sunday is the same when it comes to the music at my church. We always have different musicians coming in and playing. Sometimes they will bring in an acoustic guitar that doesnt have a pickup. What Microphone would you suggest. I am also looking for something for horns and winds. If there is something that would serve all my functions then that would be great.

Thanks,
A.J. McGlynn
A.J. McGlynn, Technical Director
Grace Church
Erie, PA

Jeff Foster

Re: Acostic Guitar Mic suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 10:02:10 PM »

It depends what type of sound you are looking for.  If you are looking for a bright sound of a guitar that is picked, you'll probably want a small diaphragm condenser.  If you want a big, bold, full sound of a strummed guitar, then use a large diaphragm condenser.

I typically have good results with an Audix ADX-51 (Small diaphragm condenser) if I want a delicate, crisp sound.  I also use an Audix CX-111 (Large diaphragm condenser) for that big. bold, full sound.

If you stick to well known mics from well known makers, you likely won't have any complaints about your choice.

There are mics that will perform very well in every price range.

In a reasonable price range, I would recommend that you check out Shure's KSM series, Audio Technica 20, 30, or 40 series, Rode NT-1a, or NT-5, the Audix mics I listed above, AKG C451, and many, many more.  Heck...even the classic Shure SM57 will give acceptable results.

There are far too many good mics that would work well on guitars.  It will be up to you and your price range as to what will work the best.

If you plan on using the same mic with horns, you'll want to find one that has a pad switch on it to keep the mic from overloading with the higher volume.

Jeff Foster
Technical Director
Northside Baptist Church
Carrollton Texas

Jeff Foster
Technical Director
Northside Baptist Church
Carrollton Texas
www.nsbcc.org

A.J. McGlynn

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 10:17:33 PM »

Awesome I appreciate the help with that. I will look into those Audix mics. I have used some Audix mics for recording drums at my college's studio for a project, and I have read alot about the company and really like their products.

I am getting some Sm57's this week but I really really dont want to use them to Mic an acoustic, I am going to use them to mic guitar amps though.

Agian thanks for the help.
A.J.
A.J. McGlynn, Technical Director
Grace Church
Erie, PA

Adam Kane

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 11:42:24 PM »

Check out the Audio Technica Pro 37.  It's a very versatile mic.  I've used it on pretty much every instrument at one time or another in a pinch.  Works great on choirs/large vocal ensambles too.  Great sounding and handles high SPL's pretty well.  The body is smaller than your average handheld which aids in placement.

We have three of these that we keep around as utility mics...if ever a strange need comes up, these things usually handle it.
Adam "Drumrkane"

Clayton Luckie

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 02:42:27 PM »

I've had good results with a Shure SM81. As Jeff said, the KSMs are good too.  Depending on your PA setup, you might have more luck with a small diaphragm KSM 109 than a 27 or 32, for feedback reasons.  If you have a good rental shop around, rent some different kinds and try them out.

cl

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 02:42:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.