ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered wedges outdors  (Read 4717 times)

Franklin Benjamin

Powered wedges outdors
« on: September 08, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »

So, I am definitely liking the powered wedge option.  I currently have 8 proprietary biamped 15" wedges and 8 PRX612M ( I know the angle sucks but a 2X3 fixes that or a DI ;) ) and I am finding more and more the PRX tend to be easier to deal with.  Might not get as loud or go as low but for ease of use, it's great.  Last year, we did a show in a park and it felt like a monsoon was hovering over us.  Torrential down pours for 10 minutes and then sunshine for 45 minutes all day.  We were using all passive for that show and we have foam on the grills and we would flip the boxes when it rained and use a broom and push the water off the stage when it stopped and kept going.  What are you guys doing when you have powered boxes outdoor and it starts raining?

Just checking on my options.

By the way not stuck on these particular boxes.  Would be willing to step up to a better box preferably with powercon in and out.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Powered wedges outdors
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 11:08:08 AM »

Trash bags.  Stand the wedge up on end, pull the bag down over it.  Return to normal position and tie the draw stings.

Also power them off.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 01:37:30 PM »

http://www.undercovernyc.com/protection_ranges#fs_w

UnderCover weather resistant covers are the pro way to go.  Trash bags are for trash, not speakers. I have these covers on all of my speakers for outdoor events. They get put on when the speaker is set up, and stay on, rain or shine. If it rains, so what. If it doesn't, the cover keeps the dust off of the speaker, so little to no cleaning is needed after an outdoor show.

For the monitor covers, they have a flap built in that can cover the speaker face during heavy rain. 

Definitely the way to go.
Brian Jojade

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 02:45:25 PM »

http://www.undercovernyc.com/protection_ranges#fs_w

UnderCover weather resistant covers are the pro way to go.  Trash bags are for trash, not speakers. I have these covers on all of my speakers for outdoor events. They get put on when the speaker is set up, and stay on, rain or shine. If it rains, so what. If it doesn't, the cover keeps the dust off of the speaker, so little to no cleaning is needed after an outdoor show.

For the monitor covers, they have a flap built in that can cover the speaker face during heavy rain. 

Definitely the way to go.

Have you used these with powered speakers and if so, is there any impact to thermal management because of the covers?   

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 02:51:19 PM »

Trash bags.  Stand the wedge up on end, pull the bag down over it.  Return to normal position and tie the draw stings.

Also power them off.

+1 on the trash bags. Smaller for monitors, 55 gallon bags for the 650's.. I can run a show in a light rain with bags-n tarps

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 04:13:41 PM »

What are you guys doing when you have powered boxes outdoor and it starts raining?

Just checking on my options.

By the way not stuck on these particular boxes.  Would be willing to step up to a better box preferably with powercon in and out.
We have waterproof covers for our RCF powered monitors.  We zip them shut and then open them up when the rain stops.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Brian Jojade

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 06:29:20 PM »

Have you used these with powered speakers and if so, is there any impact to thermal management because of the covers?

Yes, there would be concern with thermal management with any cover on a speaker.  I have used covers on powered JBL eons with no issue, but never in an extremely harsh environment.

In wet conditions, I definitely try and stay away from powered anything whenever possible.
Brian Jojade

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 07:00:19 PM »

I'm more concerned about somebody getting electrocuted than ruining my speakers if it rains. Especially with powered speakers. I shut the power down and don't turn it back on until I'm sure everything is dry. I have used trash bags just to keep the rain off until we are able to start back up again. Cheap, easy, and effective

Often times you can put the amp racks under the stage and easily cover them up for protection from the rain.

Having said that, I have all self powered speakers. That's why I don't do many outdoor gigs.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:06:34 PM by Jamin Lynch »

Brian Jojade

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 08:20:00 PM »

You can also have covers for your amp racks, so if it rains, it rains.

If you're going to do outdoor shows, preparing for the weather is part of the game. If you can't handle the weather, you are going to be in for expensive lessons.
Brian Jojade

Greg Percy

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 01:23:13 PM »

You can also have covers for your amp racks, so if it rains, it rains.

I use plastic patio furniture covers-about $8 at home depot etc-opaque plastic w elastic around the bottom...regular chair covers will do just about any size speaker or rack  and lounge chair cover works great over  my 24 ch board---pretty much a large condom...but I digress...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 01:23:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.