ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Constant "It's Too Loud" Complaints  (Read 17080 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Constant "It's Too Loud" Complaints
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2015, 05:21:06 PM »

Proof positive that it's not the tools, it's the skills of the operator that make the difference. Only when the skilled operator has reached the limits of what his tools will allow do you start looking for better tools.

I've seen some fantastic photos taken using disposable cameras. And the fanciest chefs use cheap aluminum pans.

I have cooked some crappy meals in commercial Calphalon and served some fine Cabernet's in plastic glasses.

It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Kent Thompson

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2015, 09:47:01 PM »

I still would not go off and give them a shopping list...You have a good start you have built some credibility. Don't spend it right away and don't spend it lightly or you may find yourself in a credibility debt again if your purchase don't work out.

Darren Aitcheson

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2015, 04:34:14 AM »

Great stuff on being able to make the progress you have in such a short space of time. (They had a 58 in a cupboard and yet were using no-name stuff instead???)

I would still be concerned that your pastor has a lot of work to do in convincing the rest of the congregation about the way forward though. But that's not your job to resolve. :)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2015, 08:41:32 AM »

Great stuff on being able to make the progress you have in such a short space of time. (They had a 58 in a cupboard and yet were using no-name stuff instead???)

I would still be concerned that your pastor has a lot of work to do in convincing the rest of the congregation about the way forward though. But that's not your job to resolve. :)
They didn't want to beat it up, or have it stolen.  :(   Just roll it out for special occasions. ::)

Robert Gerhardt

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2015, 12:04:59 PM »

The had them buried in a cupboard because, and I quote "Those mics are a piece of trash and should have never been bought." I think there are a few more problems here than I originally expected . . . and I expected A LOT!

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2015, 09:33:51 PM »

Long story short, after completely reworking the mix I was able to make everything sound great! You could hear everything crisp and clear! I ended up running the sound between 90 and 95 db without a single complaint! I got a few dirty looks from the other sound guys, but really I was expecting that.

I'm glad to hear you're making progress.  I think you may have actually touched on the problem in your first post, when you said that the stage volume was too loud, and it sounded very hollow.  It's been my experience (not in church, but out in the rest of the world) that when somebody says, "It's too LOUD", what they really mean is they don't like it, or that it doesn't sound very good.  I've actually been in that situation before, with a lot of monitor wash and the PA fairly quiet, and plenty of people in the audience were telling me it was too loud.  When I bit the bullet and pushed the master fader up to where it had been for sound check, it sounded much better to me, and louder of course, but the complaints stopped.  And it wasn't because the complainers left!  :)

I'm not sure why older audience members do more complaining about this than the younger ones.  Maybe it's because of the hearing impairment that Art mentioned, or maybe they're not as willing to put up with mediocre sound as younger kids are these days.  You might make the argument that the older generation actually knows what acoustic instruments and voices should sound like, as opposed to kids whose only frame of reference is dynamic range squashed MP3s in cheap ear buds.

Anyway, good luck with it.  If I had any advice it would be to get the best sound you can with the musicians and tools you have now, before throwing more technology at the problem.  Only spend money on the gear if you can clearly identify something that is coming up short.  DON'T be one of those church sound guys who is happy to spend somebody else's money to satisfy a gear lust habit.

GTD

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2015, 09:33:51 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.