ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's Try Again - Wireless Mic/Bodypack + mute switch compatibility  (Read 5501 times)

Thomas Rickman

Sorry about that admin - I thought I had changed my profile name, but apparently not.

I'm sure many of you have been in the situation where you weren't consulted before a purchase, but asked for advice afterwards.  See if you guys can see what's up here.

Our athletic department purchased this UHF wireless system with the intention of using for mic-ing the referees at football games.

https://gtdaudio.net/gtd-audio-2x800-channel-uhf-diversity-wireless-microphone-p10.html

It's not a bad unit for the price.  The bodypacks have a mute switch obviously, but the refs want something a little easier to mute/unmute when announcing penalties. 

This is where I was consulted.

The GTD bodypacks use TA3 plugs, and for the life of me - I could not find an in-line mute switch that used the TA3 interface.  (at least not one that wasn't exorbitantly priced)

So, I decided just to find the mute switch I wanted and see if I could make it work with our bodypack and headset mic.  I purchased the Shure WA360 which uses a TA4 interface.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WA360

I found the correct adapters to get this TA4 mute switch plugged into our TA3 equipment, and not surprisingly, it does not work.

I suspect the problem is with pinout.  I have discovered tonight through a little googling that pins 2 and 3 are reversed when going from TA3 to TA4.

So - what do you guys think my next step should be here.  I have choir classes to teach this week and broadcasts to produce, so I don't have a ton of time to devote to this - but I would like to try and get this working by the next home game on 9/17.

Braintrust - what say you?
Thomas Rickman, M.Mus
Choral Director/Sound Engineer
Pottsville School District

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: Let's Try Again - Wireless Mic/Bodypack + mute switch compatibility
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 09:19:17 AM »

Why not simply install TA3 connectors, with the correct pinout of course, right on the Shure mute switch?
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 09:47:44 AM »

Make sure to buy a bunch of those WA360's. Their lifetime is about 6 months.  Shure and Telex make much more robust "NFL Approved" switches but will run you approximately 10 times your current investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Thomas Rickman

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 05:18:06 PM »

Why not simply install TA3 connectors, with the correct pinout of course, right on the Shure mute switch?

That's not a bad idea.  I wonder how hard it would be to find the raw connectors and solder them in.
Thomas Rickman, M.Mus

Thomas Rickman

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 05:24:14 PM »

Make sure to buy a bunch of those WA360's. Their lifetime is about 6 months.  Shure and Telex make much more robust "NFL Approved" switches but will run you approximately 10 times your current investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why in the world is it so hard to find a quality product for this application that doesn't cost 300 dollars.  It's a switch and a noise suppression circuit for crying out loud!
Thomas Rickman, M.Mus

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 06:48:21 PM »

Why in the world is it so hard to find a quality product for this application that doesn't cost 300 dollars.  It's a switch and a noise suppression circuit for crying out loud!

It's a simple matter of supply and demand.  There's not a big market for add-ons, so sourcing/manufacture/stocking and all other associated costs need to be spread over a limited run.

If you buy a higher quality product to begin with, one not needing an after-market upgrade, you are more likely to come out with a more workable setup out of the box.  Buying cheap has hidden costs...as you are learning.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Helmke

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 07:52:22 PM »

That's not a bad idea.  I wonder how hard it would be to find the raw connectors and solder them in.

Switchcraft TA3FX and TA3M, readily available for a few dollars each.

The big question is what the pinout of your wireless might be. If the bias (DC voltage to power the mic) is on a different pin from the audio then it should be easy, because that's the way the Shure pinout works.

Thomas Le

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 01:19:07 PM »

Looks like GTD is using 600MHz, eventually you will have to buy all new wireless when the spectrum auction comes around. One thing I've learned, NEVER go cheap and off-brand on wireless microphones.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re:Off Topic
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 01:31:03 PM »

Looks like GTD is using 600MHz, eventually you will have to buy all new wireless when the spectrum auction comes around. One thing I've learned, NEVER go cheap and off-brand on wireless microphones.

One thing I've learned is not make broad statements that can't be backed up. We won't know until the auction happens how much of the 600MHz band will be gone. It is very unlikely that it will be completely gone in the way the 700MHz band was. There will probably be slices of spectrum available throughout the range, and there may even be slices set aside for uses such as wireless mics and wireless comm. The recommendation to buy 500MHz devices fails to take into account the fact that there will be a repacking of OTA TV stations into the lower UHF bands, possible making them as crowded as the 600s. When we get closer to the auction we may know more about what it really going to happen, but it is too early at this point to make panic inducing statements about having to sell off 600MHz gear, or restricting purchases to avoid 600MHz.

Mac

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 07:59:17 PM »

One thing I've learned is not make broad statements that can't be backed up. We won't know until the auction happens how much of the 600MHz band will be gone. It is very unlikely that it will be completely gone in the way the 700MHz band was. There will probably be slices of spectrum available throughout the range, and there may even be slices set aside for uses such as wireless mics and wireless comm. The recommendation to buy 500MHz devices fails to take into account the fact that there will be a repacking of OTA TV stations into the lower UHF bands, possible making them as crowded as the 600s. When we get closer to the auction we may know more about what it really going to happen, but it is too early at this point to make panic inducing statements about having to sell off 600MHz gear, or restricting purchases to avoid 600MHz.

Although valid advice to alleviate unnucessary FUD, one thing is fairly certain; after the 39 month transition period (which could be about 50 months from now), current wireless microphone systems that tune in the 600MHz range will no longer be certified or permitted as they will still be able to tune to those portions of the reallocated 600Mhz band. The monetary question is can the OEM simply update firmware, but that likley will not address the geographic aspect of where the permitted portion of the spectrum lies.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 07:59:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.