ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Impact (Regretting Purchase)  (Read 28260 times)

Spenser Hamilton

Re: Soundcraft Impact (Regretting Purchase)
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 11:25:07 AM »

So I didn't do a whole lot of research before buying the soundcraft impact and I'm kinda kicking myself. Is there a way to save channel presets? I can't seem to find it. Is there an RTA? Seems like quite a downgrade feature wise from my M32. This is just a backup mixer but I'm finding myself wishing I would have just bought an x32.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say the Soundcraft is a downgrade, more of a cross grade.

I did significant comparison between the SI Expression 1 and the M32R before deciding on the Midas. Both are great consoles, but the M32 was just the better choice for me.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 11:50:31 AM »

So I didn't do a whole lot of research before buying the soundcraft impact and I'm kinda kicking myself. Is there a way to save channel presets? I can't seem to find it. Is there an RTA? Seems like quite a downgrade feature wise from my M32. This is just a backup mixer but I'm finding myself wishing I would have just bought an x32.

If you have an M32, I definitely would have gone with the X32 if you were looking for a backup mixer. Same workflow, same show files, easy integration if you need 2 boards, etc.
Brian Jojade

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 02:51:40 PM »

To be fair, although reading of manuals/specs makes perfect sense - it's much easier to read up what features a product has, rather than to work out which it *doesn't* have.

And yes, X/M32 vs Impact/Expression is more a case of different than better/worse.  In my simple head the X/M32 has more functionality and the Impact/Expression has a certain immediate ease of use. Others will doubtless have different opinions!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 03:16:30 PM »

To be fair, although reading of manuals/specs makes perfect sense - it's much easier to read up what features a product has, rather than to work out which it *doesn't* have.

And yes, X/M32 vs Impact/Expression is more a case of different than better/worse.  In my simple head the X/M32 has more functionality and the Impact/Expression has a certain immediate ease of use. Others will doubtless have different opinions!

For some time I've contended that the differences between digital mixers ultimately comes down to UI and how features are implemented.  You're right that it's not simple to parse out what can't be done; sometimes figuring out how to do what can be done is sufficient challenge.

Most digital mixers share enough UI that if you've had some time on one you can probably take some intelligent pokes and knob turns on another and figure out how to make sound come out of it.

The difficulty is in configuring the mixer for anything other than "out of the box" setup and that's where differences between brands and models become much more apparent.  Different models from the same manufacturer (Yamaha, for one) don't use the same nomenclature or are inconsistent in the use of certain controls.  Other manufacturers have organizational hierarchies that only engineers can love and finding what you need RFN is a PITA.  M.O.U.S.E.  /disney

And it's in configuring a mixer for a specific task that you find out what cannot be done or that a feature is implemented in a way that is zero help to you.  Examples like: no pre-everything direct outs; inserts for virtual rack processing are pre eq/pre fader/pre aux, exclusively; or that aux/"mix" sends are post EQ only.  All of these things were probably disclosed - perhaps in very different and less direct ways - in the manuals, I'm sure,  ::)  but until you needed it (or needed it differently) you probably wouldn't have noticed.

Sometimes you just gotta have the hands-on time with a console to figure things out because the edit software doesn't do audio...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Bingham

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 03:30:09 PM »

Having an M32 probably spoiled me a little bit with all the functionality it has. I don't mind the impact not having an RTA so much as I mind that you can't save channel presets. Seems like that's a pretty basic feature that I think every other digital mixer on the market has. I'd be surprised if someone told me different on that. I have a soundcraft UI16 that I paid $400 for that has more features built into it...

Which reminds me. I bought a 2001 VW Golf once and didn't turn the cruise control on before buying it. Two months later I took it out on the highway and couldn't find the cruise control. It didn't have it! My 1986 Honda had cruise control. I never thought to look for it on a 2001 car. I figured cruise was a standard feature. You'd think I would have learned my lesson after that. Lol I might have to make a feature checklist for the future. The question is tho. How basic do you go on a feature checklist. Should there be something's that we should be able to assume a $2800 mixer can do?

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 03:38:39 PM »

Bryan,
  At the kiddie end of the pool, there are a lot of compromises that have to be made to hit a price point.  Different manufacturers prioritize features differently.  The M32 and the Impact both represent amazing examples of technological value to my way of thinking.  If you owned an M32 and were looking for a "backup" it would seem that an X32 would be a no brainer.  It is after all the identical mixer with some cheaper parts.  To make a hasty purchase without exercising due diligence will yield unforeseen results.  I do not doubt that "Soundcraft Impact (Regretting Purchase)"  accurately describes your situation after shooting yourself in the foot.  It is unfortunate that the thread title and your complaints do not more accurately place the blame where they belong. 
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Brian Bingham

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 04:05:49 PM »

On the plus side I only paid $2100 for it so I should be able to get my money back out of it.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 04:44:07 PM »

...I should be able to get my money back out of it.

Where are you located, Brian?  An Impact might be a logical next step for me from the Ui16 (my first foray into the digital mixer world).

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 03:02:35 PM »

Which reminds me. I bought a 2001 VW Golf once and didn't turn the cruise control on before buying it.... My 1986 Honda had cruise control.

Im sorry to derail, but is Cruise control a standard ?
Apologies again, but I'm from India, and that would be another wow towards the western world. And we are talking 14 yrs back...

My RTA is always flat.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 03:20:15 PM »

Im sorry to derail, but is Cruise control a standard ?
Apologies again, but I'm from India, and that would be another wow towards the western world. And we are talking 14 yrs back...

I dunno, but it was an option on my 2000 motorcycle and standard on my 2003.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 03:20:15 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.