ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless mic pops  (Read 12019 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Wireless mic pops
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 10:37:51 PM »

I am pretty sure that the EW100 is available with different mic elements on it. I think they usually come with the 835 head. And according to the 835 manual the windscreen or as they call it “the sound inlet basket” can be unscrewed.

I had an EW300 with the 865 head on it in my hands the other night and it was used by a woman that usually has a lot of lipstick on and there was a lot of it on the windscreen. I said that can clog up the windscreen and affect the sound. So I showed them how to unscrew the windscreen so they could clean it. When you unscrew the windscreen you can see the mic diaphragm in there. The 865 looks like it is suspended in there and if it is anything like some Shure mics that I have worked on the wires to the capsule can break or just come a little loose   

So I am not sure what mic head this wireless transmitter has on it but the windscreen should unscrew and you should be able to see inside there. And look for how it is wired and if anything is loose.

But as you said maybe cleaning what you did fixed it. But some vigorous shaking should make it fail if you didn’t fix it. Assuming it is a physical mic problem and not an intermittent RF problem.

Thanks Kevin..its an 835. If there is a way into it, I couldn't find it.
I gave it back to her last night but she never got to use it. We'll try again at the weekend and hopefully it will be fine. If not I'll dive in a little deeper I suppose….
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 06:18:57 AM »

Thanks Kevin..its an 835. If there is a way into it, I couldn't find it.
I gave it back to her last night but she never got to use it. We'll try again at the weekend and hopefully it will be fine. If not I'll dive in a little deeper I suppose….

Debbie,
The windscreen on the G3 Evolutions is usually very difficult to get off.  I can't remember if it unscrews at the label band around the middle of the basket or if it unscrews just above the threaded section that holds the complete mic capsule to the mic body.  I seem to recall that it is at the label but it's been quite some time since I've needed to take the windscreen off.

Here is a link to a picture of the mic capsule when it is removed from the mic body.
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/images/560/all/square/6247/square_louped_mmd-835_sq-01-sennheiser.jpg

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 09:05:20 AM »

The 865 comes apart in the middle at the label band around the middle of the basket. I don’t know about all of the other models.

I am pretty sure that the windscreen (grill) on the 835 unscrews just above the threaded section that holds the complete mic capsule to the mic body. And this makes it hard or tricky to get it to unscrew. When you try to unscrew it the whole head usually comes off of the transmitter. The trick is usually to tighten the capsule down a little bit more then is really needed to hold it in place and then give it a quick twist to take the windscreen off. It can take a bunch of tries before you have the right combination to get it off of the capsule. 

See the picture that shows the grill after its removed from the bottom in the attached link.
http://www.performanceaudio.com/item/sennheiser-073526-replacement-grill-for-e835/49833/

With the capsule off of the transmitter do you see a slot in the treaded part on both sides of it? If you do you may be able to use something to hold the capsule in place to remove the grill. But be very careful or you will mess up the threads. I can’t find an image on line of the capsule from the bottom.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 10:42:35 PM »

Then I must have missed something because I was able to unscrew the grill piece from the mic capsule and I could unscrew the capsule piece from the body but the capsule piece and the body were sealed. They connected via a flat metal plate in the capsule and small contacts in the body. Nothing was open to wiring at all….
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 10:51:55 PM »

Then I must have missed something because I was able to unscrew the grill piece from the mic capsule and I could unscrew the capsule piece from the body but the capsule piece and the body were sealed. They connected via a flat metal plate in the capsule and small contacts in the body. Nothing was open to wiring at all….

Then you have probably gone as far as you can go with anything you could have serviced. The more expensive mics (at least the 865 does) have a different construction to them. And I didn’t know what capsule you had at first.

Hopefully what you have done already has fixed the problem. Intermittent problems are the hardest thing to trouble shoot. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2015, 05:40:23 PM »

Update on this...
The singer had used my mic for a few shows and the last show the band had, they used someone else for sound and she used her Senny again apparently without any issues. The sound guy they used did a freq scan and decided that was the issue with it and told her he had fixed it.... Yeah right- so last nights gig we did the sound check and I started to play some background music till the band went on.
I hadn't muted the mics like I normally do and suddenly there was a static distortion from hell that came though the speakers. OMG.... Everyone screamed and I thought I'd lost my horns in my DSR's and my monitors. As soon as the noise started it stopped and I muted everything. Good job I did, I watched the meters and every 10 seconds or so the wireless mic meter went crazy into the red for about 3 seconds and then went back down. This happened till we disconnected her receiver.
No surprises we put her straight on a wired mic and I refuse to let her use the Senny ever again till repaired or replaced. Good news is my speakers made it!
The first time we had problems, it was a loud pop but this was much nastier.....

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2015, 05:46:20 PM »

Update on this...
The singer had used my mic for a few shows and the last show the band had, they used someone else for sound and she used her Senny again apparently without any issues. The sound guy they used did a freq scan and decided that was the issue with it and told her he had fixed it.... Yeah right- so last nights gig we did the sound check and I started to play some background music till the band went on.
I hadn't muted the mics like I normally do and suddenly there was a static distortion from hell that came though the speakers. OMG.... Everyone screamed and I thought I'd lost my horns in my DSR's and my monitors. As soon as the noise started it stopped and I muted everything. Good job I did, I watched the meters and every 10 seconds or so the wireless mic meter went crazy into the red for about 3 seconds and then went back down. This happened till we disconnected her receiver.
No surprises we put her straight on a wired mic and I refuse to let her use the Senny ever again till repaired or replaced. Good news is my speakers made it!
The first time we had problems, it was a loud pop but this was much nastier.....

Had she turned the mic off? This is fairly normal behavior if the transmitter is turned off. Are there other RF mics in use, and where were they when this happened? If other mics got piled all together they will create huge IM products that can completely wipe out everything around them. Doing a frequency scan without also doing the IM calculations only works if you only have 1 or 2 RF mics. Once you have 3 or more RF mics or IEMs or RF comms you need to also do the IM calc to minimize the chance of interference of this type.

Mac

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2015, 11:45:33 PM »

Had she turned the mic off? This is fairly normal behavior if the transmitter is turned off. Are there other RF mics in use, and where were they when this happened? If other mics got piled all together they will create huge IM products that can completely wipe out everything around them. Doing a frequency scan without also doing the IM calculations only works if you only have 1 or 2 RF mics. Once you have 3 or more RF mics or IEMs or RF comms you need to also do the IM calc to minimize the chance of interference of this type.

Mac

The mic was off. No other wireless mics were being used but we did have 2 iem transmitters on also. Weird thing is we have done this venue many many times in the past with more iems in use and never a hint of problems. This was before the episode where the popping occurred though.

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2015, 11:49:00 PM »

Debbie, is this an older, 600-700MHz unit? I had this happen with a Senny wireless handheld recently; I'll have to check the model number next time I'm doing work at that particular church. There was a terrible intermittent noise, when the mic transmitter was on or off! I finally realized that it happened every time a nearby TV was turned on. I checked the frequency later, and sure enough, it was one of the older models within the digital TV band. Needless to say, I put it out of commission.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2015, 11:50:42 PM »

The mic was off. No other wireless mics were being used but we did have 2 iem transmitters on also. Weird thing is we have done this venue many many times in the past with more iems in use and never a hint of problems. This was before the episode where the popping occurred though.

You should not turn off any RF mics when you have faders open. This is just asking for interference through your system. When they are off they are open to pick up even weak interference. Keep the transmitters powered on.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2015, 11:50:42 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.