ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless mic pops  (Read 12021 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Wireless mic pops
« on: August 29, 2015, 12:15:36 AM »

At the show right now - singer mentioned last gig the band played (they used in house system)... She had to switch out her Senny wireless mic to a wired mic- reason was loud popping through the PA. We have never had this problem in the past so I figured it was a one off or something the sound guy did. We started out fine and then right toward the end of the first set- there it was and it was LOUD!
It happened when she moved the mic- when on the stand, it was fine. We switched it out anyway for a shure beta and so far no issues.... Why all of a sudden? Same mic used for past 2 years with no issues...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Wireless mic pops
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 07:51:00 AM »

Sounds like something loose inside or a failing connection.

I have a mic that uses a 9v and requires the battery to be shimmed up tight to prevent pops.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 09:37:54 AM »

At the show right now - singer mentioned last gig the band played (they used in house system)... She had to switch out her Senny wireless mic to a wired mic- reason was loud popping through the PA. We have never had this problem in the past so I figured it was a one off or something the sound guy did. We started out fine and then right toward the end of the first set- there it was and it was LOUD!
It happened when she moved the mic- when on the stand, it was fine. We switched it out anyway for a shure beta and so far no issues.... Why all of a sudden? Same mic used for past 2 years with no issues...

What Dick says and below is a cut and paste of what I have said in the past if you are using 9v batteries. If you are using AA batteries check to make sure you don’t have any residue on the battery terminal in the mic caused by a leaking battery. That can be really hard to clean up to impossible to clean.

If the Sennheiser mic is the first generation series they take a 9v battery. Have you ever stood a bunch of 9v batteries next to each other and observed the differences in the height of them? If you use a taller model battery regularly and then switch to a shorter one you may find that the contacts in the transmitter have been bent enough that a shorter battery may not make good contact. I have experienced this problem many times over the years. I have had to put a shim under the battery to make a good contact more times then I can remember. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 11:10:21 AM »

Thanks guys for those suggestions. Her mic is only 2 years old and uses AA's. She gave it to me last night to bring home to troubleshoot but I don't think I want to if its going to cause nasty pops- apart from that I don't really know what to do other than check what is suggested here. Gonna take a look after I've finished my coffee....(very late night)....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 11:36:43 AM »

Thanks guys for those suggestions. Her mic is only 2 years old and uses AA's. She gave it to me last night to bring home to troubleshoot but I don't think I want to if its going to cause nasty pops- apart from that I don't really know what to do other than check what is suggested here. Gonna take a look after I've finished my coffee....(very late night)....

Get her to 'fess up on the last time she dropped it on the floor...

It should be easy enough to unscrew the grill and examine the element.  Any poor wiring or connection should show up with a poke or a wiggle here and there.  If that doesn't reveal the cause, tell her it's broken and have her buy a new one.

tuff luv.

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 01:20:23 PM »

Debbie,
If your worried about the pops, then trouble shoot it without the speakers powered.  Just watch the channel strip as you shake the mic, etc to reproduce it.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 01:23:46 PM »

A mic drop is a possibility Dick and I will ask her this evening- running sound for the same band tonight.
I just took a look at it and I can't seem to find a way in. The transmitter section only opens up the battery compartment but will not open any further and the capsule section is sealed. Looks like it is a throw away design which leaves me back where I started.
I checked the batteries and they are nice and tight, clean with no signs of corrosion or contamination.
I cleaned the contacts in the head also.
Tonight I'll do an RF scan and set a different (probably) frequency. Other than that - unsure what to do. I really don't want to have any nasty pops through my speakers again so how do I test it without taking the risk?.......oh the trials of being a good little sound person and a personal friend to the band.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 01:25:57 PM »

Debbie,
If your worried about the pops, then trouble shoot it without the speakers powered.  Just watch the channel strip as you shake the mic, etc to reproduce it.

Just read this. Jim... Good idea, I'll try to cause a pop with the speakers off. What about simply muting the channel and watching the strip?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 01:26:40 PM »

Which model # is it?  Sounds like the cheapest.

If it's good on the stand but not in the hand it's mechanical/electrical, not RF.

What happens if you shake her?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 01:41:02 PM by dick rees »

John L Nobile

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 01:33:06 PM »

I used to have that problem years ago when I was using an AKG system. One lead to the mic element would break off but still made contact until it bounced around. Very annoying and all 4 mics had the same issue. A real pain to solder as well.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 01:33:06 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.