ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crackling cables  (Read 7586 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Crackling cables
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 10:20:20 PM »

I second the deoxit route-we had a problem a few years back when it seemed everything started crackling-I had 3 separate cords "go bad" in just a few days.  Cleaned everything with deoxit and a world of difference.

The drive to his "local" Wal-Mart might take a while for the OP :)
Steve Swaffer

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 09:32:03 AM »

Thanks a ton guys, the  anti static solution that dick and Bob mentioned appears to have done the trick.

I just Cleaned off the connectors with contact cleaner as well and will try the ground line as well but so far all seems good.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 10:21:37 AM »

Thanks a ton guys, the  anti static solution that dick and Bob mentioned appears to have done the trick.

I just Cleaned off the connectors with contact cleaner as well and will try the ground line as well but so far all seems good.
I had a situation once where the only solution was to use the anti static spray, during the dry season.  I tried everything else I could think of and nothing else worked. It would be interesting to see what the differences are between the 2 rooms that you mentioned. It might be a slightly different carpet on the stage in each room. It could be a slight difference in the HVAC between the 2 rooms making one drier then the other.

I was in one room once where they have a static problem and you could walk across the carpet and touch wood and get a shock. 

Just be careful to not use too much of the spray that you have, some solutions can make the carpet slippery.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 03:09:17 PM »

I had a situation once where the only solution was to use the anti static spray, during the dry season.  I tried everything else I could think of and nothing else worked. It would be interesting to see what the differences are between the 2 rooms that you mentioned. It might be a slightly different carpet on the stage in each room. It could be a slight difference in the HVAC between the 2 rooms making one drier then the other.

I was in one room once where they have a static problem and you could walk across the carpet and touch wood and get a shock. 

Just be careful to not use too much of the spray that you have, some solutions can make the carpet slippery.

It is also possible that the board in the other room (without the static) has a functioning chassis ground while the problem board does not.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 05:22:04 PM »

Even a fairly high resistance ground should drain away static.  In the assembly industry we have 1M resistors on the ESD wrist straps to current limit in case of something going wrong.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 07:28:29 PM »

This right here is why I love this forum. I have lost count of the number of problems I have solved because I had previously read the solution on here. You guys are great.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 07:28:29 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.