ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 220 range plug with 110 edison ground  (Read 8835 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: 220 range plug with 110 edison ground
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 04:20:27 PM »

The other real problem is that if the ground is not connected first, and there is a ground fault in the equipment, then you've got a hot ground pin on that "ground plug."

You have identified another reason this product does not meet Code and should be avoided.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 05:33:43 PM »

Ok, some of you will probably blaze me for the suggestion but here goes...  I found an adapter cable at the following link that offers a solution to ungrounded 220 outlets.

http://www.jondon.com/power-cord-adapter-50a-twist-to-30a-straight-old-style-dryer.html

I would like two kinds of feedback, opinions on the actual safety of using this and feedback regarding if it would be acceptable should an inspector show up (although I have never seen one).
Where is the receptical that you would use this for, do you come across them often and could you replace the receptical with a new style grounded type? I must admit to having never seen a dryer receptical without a ground pin.
This adapter is complete BS!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

David Buckley

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 07:46:27 PM »

Where is the receptical that you would use this for, do you come across them often and could you replace the receptical with a new style grounded type? I must admit to having never seen a dryer receptical without a ground pin.

Code has, for some years now, required outlets intended for use for dryers to be four pin, with a proper ground and neutral.  That wasn't always the case, however, a few years back a single neutral/ground pin was permitted.  Yes, that was dumb.  The problem with simply replacing a three pin outlet with a four is that the necessary conductors almost certainly aren't present behind the outlet.

Allen Smith

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 10:03:13 PM »

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful feedback.  I find all of your insight very helpful!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 10:03:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.