ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frackel Guitar Preamp/Processor  (Read 21261 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Frackel Guitar Preamp/Processor
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2015, 11:30:00 PM »

The same arguments were had in the past and some are still going.
Records vs CD
CD vs MP3
Analog crossovers vs digital
analog mixers vs digital
Wedges vs inears
Etc etc
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2015, 04:36:44 PM »

My lead player has a Bogner .... and it is a good sounding tube amp.  When I first used my Kemper, he was ahead of me in the tone game.  I no longer feel that way. 

After a bit of time to tweak things in on a few profiles, the Kemper can go from a great sounding clean Fender, to a triple rectifier so thick you can almost swim through the notes ;)

I carry it in a rack with a self made patch bay on back for my foot pedal, stereo XLR outputs, monitor output, and MIDI foot pedal.  I can carry my entire rig in 1 trip, and set it up in under 5 minutes.  It has exactly the same beautiful sound every time I plug it in and I can switch from a fender clean to a VHT pittbul (my old amp) in around 100 mSec ;)

I think it will take some time for the industry to move this direction.  Currently, only the Axe II Fx and Kemper are serious tools for anyone who has any taste for good guitar tone, and both of these are pretty pricey for someone who is a tube amp purist to give serious thought to purchasing on a whim.

I would agree that the Line 6 stuff is pure, unadultrated garbage.  When I see some poor guy haul one of those amps up on stage, I just shake my head in dismay.  I usually can't stand to stick around too long since the sound is so awful.

I believe that the real barrier to entry for this market is price.  When someone makes a $500.00 digital device that can do what Fractal and Kemper are doing (at over 4 times that price today), I think you will see the tubes start to dry up pretty fast.

This is much like the analog mixer scene when digital desks started to be more affordable than an analog mixer and a rack full of outboard gear.

I figure another 5 years should do the trick.

Jay Marr

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2015, 11:00:18 AM »

My lead player has a Bogner .... and it is a good sounding tube amp.  When I first used my Kemper, he was ahead of me in the tone game.  I no longer feel that way. 

After a bit of time to tweak things in on a few profiles, the Kemper can go from a great sounding clean Fender, to a triple rectifier so thick you can almost swim through the notes ;)

I carry it in a rack with a self made patch bay on back for my foot pedal, stereo XLR outputs, monitor output, and MIDI foot pedal.  I can carry my entire rig in 1 trip, and set it up in under 5 minutes.  It has exactly the same beautiful sound every time I plug it in and I can switch from a fender clean to a VHT pittbul (my old amp) in around 100 mSec ;)

I think it will take some time for the industry to move this direction.  Currently, only the Axe II Fx and Kemper are serious tools for anyone who has any taste for good guitar tone, and both of these are pretty pricey for someone who is a tube amp purist to give serious thought to purchasing on a whim.

I would agree that the Line 6 stuff is pure, unadultrated garbage.  When I see some poor guy haul one of those amps up on stage, I just shake my head in dismay.  I usually can't stand to stick around too long since the sound is so awful.

I believe that the real barrier to entry for this market is price.  When someone makes a $500.00 digital device that can do what Fractal and Kemper are doing (at over 4 times that price today), I think you will see the tubes start to dry up pretty fast.

This is much like the analog mixer scene when digital desks started to be more affordable than an analog mixer and a rack full of outboard gear.

I figure another 5 years should do the trick.

Very much agree.

Fractal is about to launch their 'foot pedal' version of the Axe FX (with the same code base as the Axe 2, so sound quality will be the same).  If this has a lower price point, they may pull in more folks to try the great modeling that is available now a days.

The great thing with these units as well, is that when they continue to grow....they will eventually be available for rentals.  This way, you could do a fly date with just a USB stick in your pocket with your Presets on it.  Or of course, you can also take a 2 space rack as a carry-on item.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2015, 01:27:09 PM »

try the great modeling that is available now a days.
Just to be clear, the FX8 is not an amp or speaker modeller, just effects.

Or of course, you can also take a 2 space rack as a carry-on item.
That's what we do. It's a life-saver.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:40:35 PM by Andrew Broughton »
-Andy

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2015, 01:47:08 PM »

Whoops - I see now that there's an AX8 coming out which is a floor-version (with scaled down features) of the Axe-FX. Thought you were speaking of the FX8, which is a floor board FX only device.
-Andy

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2015, 09:45:10 PM »

Here's what an Axe-FX player said recently when confronted with a player who didn't like the sound of the Axe compared to his amp. I thought it explained it very well, so I'll repeat it here (edited for clarity):
The best way to explain it is......

Put your rig in an isolation booth, close mic it with a really great mic or mics. run it through a high quality pre-amp. Then stand in the control room and play while listening through the monitors. This is really what your rig sounds like on a recording or in the audience at a large live show.

You and a couple of band mates are the only people in the entire room that experience what a guitar cab sounds like off axis, from 10 or 20 feet away. [Listening to your mic'd up amp through monitors or in the PA] is quite different, but in my opinion it's the truth.

For me, I need to hear what my audience is hearing. I couldn't imagine going back to the lie.

If you mic you cab live, that is what your rig sounds like in your monitors and to everyone else. [If you don't like it], no big deal, lots of people can't handle the truth......lol.........everybody is different.

Again it comes back to, are you playing for yourself or the audience?
-Andy

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2015, 01:40:10 PM »

I use the volume knob a lot and want the amp to clean up a little and growl instead of scream and the modelers just have not got that figured out yet. They are not touch responsive in the way a tube amp is and they do not clean up and react like a tube amp does when you roll the volume back on the guitar.
You might find this interesting...
He's just using just the volume knob on his guitar to go from clean to distorted and places in between.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-preset-exchange/103828-try-mikkos-quantum-cameron-preset.html
-Andy

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2015, 02:00:43 PM »

The new quantum firmware does appear to be a step closer. I am still not convinced however.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

David Buckley

« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2015, 09:42:22 PM »

A playing technique that a lot of non-proper modellers fail on is a string bend against a string that doesn't bend, I have no idea what this technique is called.  But with some setups, you get a ring modulation effect of a low frequency beating as the strings come to unison, and its horrible.  Doesn't happen with a Plexi!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2015, 09:42:22 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.