ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Frackel Guitar Preamp/Processor  (Read 21254 times)

Frederik Rosenkjær

Re: Frackel Guitar Preamp/Processor
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2015, 03:32:09 AM »

As an engineer (and thereby the audience' representative) in small and medium sized venues I much prefer a modelled guitar tone that's OK and under control to a really great sounding amp that's disproportionally loud and messing up everything for everyone...which is quite often the case.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 05:27:19 AM by Frederik Rosenkjær »
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2015, 04:09:50 AM »

But a small amp can give the tone and be controllable.

Even modelled, I still want the sound to come from a box with a speaker behind me.

A band with no onstage amplifiers and all in ear monitors is my idea of hell... especially if there's an electronic drum kit too.  Although I appreciate it works for others.

Steve.

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2015, 05:31:19 AM »

But a small amp can give the tone and be controllable.

It sure can, so when it works it's great.

Even modelled, I still want the sound to come from a box with a speaker behind me.

I kind of see the whole idea of placing the amps behind the musicians pointing out into the crowd as a thing we do because that's what The Beatles did in 1963. IMO virtually every guitar amp sounds like crap at a distance on axis - and so we point that at...wait...what?....the audience!?  ::)

Often I feel like someone should ask themselves "Who are we playing for?"
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2015, 07:49:11 AM »

It sure can, so when it works it's great.

I kind of see the whole idea of placing the amps behind the musicians pointing out into the crowd as a thing we do because that's what The Beatles did in 1963. IMO virtually every guitar amp sounds like crap at a distance on axis - and so we point that at...wait...what?....the audience!?  ::)

Often I feel like someone should ask themselves "Who are we playing for?"

A good guitar player plays for both him/herself AND the crowd with full control over tone, dynamics and volume.

There are plenty of times and situations when facing the amplifier in a direction other than towards the audience may be applicable. A good guitarist will know this, and a good BE will recommend this before the guitarist can bring up the point. The main factor for not facing the amplifier towards the audience is usually the room size.

I can't respond to your Beatles statement without insulting your intelligence, so I won't respond.

http://www.myrareguitars.com/10-classic-guitar-amps
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:19:09 AM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2015, 11:16:43 PM »

I don't mind in ears. I have had a couple shows where i got to use them and both were in an acoustic rock band situation. I was fortunate to have stereo mixes and it really helped a lot over conventional monitors.

I used to have a little 15 watt Egnater Tweaker. That was a really cool amp. It required a little work with the cabs I used it with, but when cranked it really screamed, the down side was that it was only just loud enough for the rock band I was in and it required a short 10' cord to get the sound I wanted with the guitar I typically used with it. Any longer a cord and it was just too dark when the volume was rolled back and adding highs in the tone stack made it sound brash and sizzley. I eventually broke down and used a clean boost on a different channel of the amp! While it really came to life it also lost a little level. It would start to really break up at the needed SPL. I just couldn't get the sound I wanted at the level I needed it at in an unsupported venue with VOX only in the PA. I went to a 50 watt JCA 50H with a 4x12 cab. While a lot bigger and now overkill, I could get the sound I wanted at the level I needed it at and I didn't have to use pedals!

I used two different modeling units about the same time in rehearsal situations. While the modeling offered endless sound options, dialing it in to sound natural was not easy and furthermore, when teh guitars volume was rolled back, the modeling fell apart and wouldn't work for me. It woul';t work to create another patch either as most all the song in the band were written around volume swells ( AKA dynamics :) ) After a few rehersals the band and myself were not convinced and I went back to amp and cabs. I still really want a modeler to work though. A lot of my favorite acts are using the AXE FX and they have found a way to make it work. I am not playing in any bands right now so justifying an AXE FX is going to be hard to slip past the wife....... Also, I am really waiting until I know they get the dynamics part worked out. The AXE FX seems pretty future proof, but it has gone through several renditions in the past couple years and it is beginning to seem like an I-PHONE to me. Every time you get the newest unit, 6 months later there is another new one.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Jay Marr

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2015, 08:38:29 AM »

Nothing is future proof....but the new axe fx models seem come out like every 5+ years or so....so a little different than iPhone  :)

The dynamics when rolling off volume is one of the things that the axe does really well.
I encourage everyone to check out the fractal forum and go to the recordings page....listen to some clips to see what great tones people get.
Preset exchange as well...lots of popular artists will share their presets.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2015, 01:47:32 PM »

So, maybe the latest fw update (called "Quantum", released yesterday) will appeal to players that still aren't feeling the dynamics are right in the Axe-FX...
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/103757-quantum-dynamics-post-your-thoughts.html
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/103735-axe-fx-ii-quantum-rev-1-00-public-beta.html

I'd love to hear what a die-hard tube amp enthusiast thinks about this update.
I'm thinking that a proper comparison would be against a tube amp, mic'd up in isolation, played through monitors, PA or headphones.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Jay Marr

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2015, 02:21:56 PM »

So, maybe the latest fw update (called "Quantum", released yesterday) will appeal to players that still aren't feeling the dynamics are right in the Axe-FX...
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/103757-quantum-dynamics-post-your-thoughts.html
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/103735-axe-fx-ii-quantum-rev-1-00-public-beta.html

I'm thinking that a proper comparison would be against a tube amp, mic'd up in isolation, played through monitors, PA or headphones.

I'm excited to download this tonight and see how what improvements have been made!
Fractal keeps closing the gap....which is why I love the unit.  All firmware upgrades/updates....free of charge.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2015, 02:34:23 PM »

At this point, you may as well use a sampler.  What folks don't seem to understand is that an electric guitar/amplifier combination is an acoustic instrument.  There may be some physical separation between the part the player touches and where the sound comes out, but it is the same as a piano or trumpet in that a good player is constantly listening to the sound produced and altering what they are doing to make a sound that fits that moment in the music.  And because the sound from the speaker causes vibrations in the generating part of the instrument there is a whole gestalt to how it works as a system.

Now in highly produced pop music, much sound we associate with acoustic instruments has been highly processed and altered to create a sound effect within the mix that suits the production people creating it for the audience.  The actual musicians are like sample players feeding a signal into the effects chain that will become part of a reproduction of a highly processed recording or "live" presentation.  I have friends in Vegas who have been reduced to sample players for years.  They yearn for those small gigs where they can play next to their amp and form notes with musical intent.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2015, 04:20:11 PM »

Ok, Devil's advocate here...
Do you feel that anyone in the audience would be able to tell the difference, or is the "playing next to the amp" only for the performer's benefit?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2015, 04:20:11 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.