ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Frackel Guitar Preamp/Processor  (Read 21259 times)

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
Frackel Guitar Preamp/Processor
« on: August 21, 2015, 02:31:23 PM »

Has anyone done a show with a guitar player using only a Frackel Guitar Preamp/Processor ?

No amps on stage  - ?

How was the tone ?

Thanks gain
Patrick

Stephen Kirby

Re: Frackel Guitar Preamp/Processor
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 02:40:06 PM »

I believe you're referring to the Fractal Audio box.  One of the better digital modelers out there.  Although all of them suffer from aliasing in the DAC when running heavy distortion.  Most DACs are not ready for the slew rates and overtones even in modeled distortion.

Even though there is a speaker emulator in there, low pass it a 5-7k to get rid of the fizz and grunge.

After that, it's a matter of how well the user has programmed their patches.  Highly overdriven patches tend to be highly compressed as well.  Switching to a cleaner patch often results in noticeably higher levels.  You may want to keep a finger on the fader in case.

No amps on stage bands can really muddy up monitors if they aren't on ears.  At least run side fills with instruments in them so you can clean up the front line vocal monitors.  That will also help with the hollow middle for anyone close to the stage.

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 02:45:12 PM »

I believe you're referring to the Fractal Audio box.  One of the better digital modelers out there.  Although all of them suffer from aliasing in the DAC when running heavy distortion.  Most DACs are not ready for the slew rates and overtones even in modeled distortion.

Even though there is a speaker emulator in there, low pass it a 5-7k to get rid of the fizz and grunge.

After that, it's a matter of how well the user has programmed their patches.  Highly overdriven patches tend to be highly compressed as well.  Switching to a cleaner patch often results in noticeably higher levels.  You may want to keep a finger on the fader in case.

No amps on stage bands can really muddy up monitors if they aren't on ears.  At least run side fills with instruments in them so you can clean up the front line vocal monitors.  That will also help with the hollow middle for anyone close to the stage.

Good Points Stephen

I am thinking of getting one for myself as I play in my band and we are all in ears

I worked with a back that had one of these and the tone was sick

Patrick

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 02:48:22 PM »

Good Points Stephen

I am thinking of getting one for myself as I play in my band and we are all in ears

I worked with a back that had one of these and the tone was suck

Patrick

Fixed it for you.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 02:56:18 PM »

I've been using one for several years.  My sound has never been better and is consistent everywhere we play.  As Stephen mentioned, it's a matter of how well the user has programmed it.  It's just a tool... like handing a brush and a paint pallet to someone.  The end result comes down to the artist.  You can throw a HPF on it, but ask the guitar player first.  I have a few presets that use synth sounds.  When we're not running sound ourselves I tell the FOH guy to give me an XLR line (or two if stereo) and treat it like a keyboard.

The AxeFX II has a built in loudness meter.  I use it to level out all my presets so there are no volume surprises when changing sounds.  I've compared the AxeFX VU levels using the Orban Loudness Meter and the levels are the same.  Hopefully the guitar player has leveled all his presets before the gig.

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 03:14:44 PM »

Fixed it for you.

WOW 

thanks for the correction

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 05:09:56 PM »

Rich,  I wouldn't trust a VU meter.  One of the biggest issues (and this also applies to stomp boxes or amps with high gain front ends) is the dynamic response.  By it's nature, the more overdrive you have, the more compression you get.  Unless you throw a Klon Centaur in the mix.  So the different between comping and soloing levels with high gain isn't very much unless you program separate patches.  It pretty much doesn't matter what you do with the guitar, you get the same thing out of it.  Conversely, a clean patch or amp can be very responsive to the dynamics of the input signal.  If you balance the level with a medium attack on the instrument, the high gain sound will stay at that level while the clean sound can get much louder if you hit the strings harder than when you "balanced" the levels.

You can run a compressor on the clean sound as many country folks do.  Usually though you want the overdriven sounds to be a couple dB louder than the clean sounds to compensate.

Also, playing full chords with a high gain sound and then going to a single line solo often results in the bottom dropping out as the spectrum of sound narrows.

Someone may know in a cue that a solo is coming and push the fader up, but switching to a clean sound, with the adrenaline of a live gig, often causes a jump in the apparent volume of the guitar.  That's what I was referring to in optimizing the patch levels.

If you're going to play high gain comp parts, either use a volume pedal to drop them (folks like Jimmy Herring or Frank Gambale have a volume pedal in the amp's loop for the same reason)  or have a separate patch.  Which is one big advantage of these kinds of boxes over and old school NMV cranked Marshall.

Jay Marr

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »

Fixed it for you.

If the tone sucked, then it's operator error.

The Axe FX2 is amazing and a godsend for engineers.
They require a bit more skill to dial in than just a guitar amp....so if the player doesn't know what they are doing, he/she can make it sound like garbage very easily.

If you dial the Axe FX in on a quality reference monitor, then it will translate extremely well on any decent PA system.

I own a bunch of high quality tube guitar amps and some of them I'll never part with.
But for gigging, the Axe FX is the only way to go (for me).
Exact same tone, every night.
And if I'm not running the FOH myself, and I'm playing a room with in house sound....the engineer just has to flatten the eq and slide the fader up.
I get nothing but compliments on my tone.

If anyone is curious, head over the Fractal Audio Forum and listen to some of the Recordings.  (oh, and take a look at their Artist page)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 03:22:05 PM »

Your preaching to the choir. I understand your enthusiasm, and I wish you well with your modeler, but after more than 50 years of playing guitar, and working with or listening to, modelers and amplifiers in the hands of professionals, including myself, you'll not be able to bullshit me into believing even the best modeling amplifier can replicate the sound and feel of the real amp. No way can the complexity of the tone or touch of a good amplifier be "replicated" through a modeler, and I say this with conviction and with experience through actual use.

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 03:23:46 PM »

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 03:23:46 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.