ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JTR 3TX; replacing 60x40 horn with wider  (Read 6708 times)

William Abel

JTR 3TX; replacing 60x40 horn with wider
« on: August 20, 2015, 04:42:24 PM »

Does anyone have sound experience replacing the standard 60x40 horn with a 90x60 horn for wider coverage. The 40 vertical is fine, some times a little wider coverage would be nice. Pros & cons.

Thanks,
Bill

« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:49:38 PM by William Abel »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: JTR 3TX; replacing 60x40 horn with wider
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 06:00:54 PM »

Does anyone have sound experience replacing the standard 60x40 horn with a 90x60 horn for wider coverage. The 40 vertical is fine, some times a little wider coverage would be nice. Pros & cons.

Thanks,
Bill

I would think the best FIRST place to ask would be the manufacturer.

But generally a wider horn will result in less energy (SPL) and possible loading on the driver-which could result in a crossover change.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Peter Morris

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 06:17:31 AM »

Thanks,
Bill

Generally I find a 60 degree horn too narrow for most applications where I would use a box like the  3TX.

I don't see a problem changing over to 90 x 60 degree option (as offered by JTR) except that I suspect you may need to change the crossover as well.  As Ivan said, check with JTR.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 12:34:27 PM »

The description of this speaker on their website indicates a pair of 10s for the low/mid.  If those are direct radiating ( and the picture doesn't show much depth for a mid horn ) then the boxes are probably 90 to 100 degrees horizontal up to the the crossover point already.

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 08:39:53 PM »

The description of this speaker on their website indicates a pair of 10s for the low/mid.  If those are direct radiating ( and the picture doesn't show much depth for a mid horn ) then the boxes are probably 90 to 100 degrees horizontal up to the the crossover point already.

AFAIK the crossover point is 450Hz. That leaves the horn dictating pretty good portion of the box directivity.

John Notestine

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 01:55:57 AM »

Thanks,
Bill

AFAIK I have one of the few pairs of 3TX 90 x 60s.  I love them.  We use them for large events and I am glad I went with the wider coverage. 

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 10:17:22 AM »

AFAIK the crossover point is 450Hz. That leaves the horn dictating pretty good portion of the box directivity.

However, being a small horn it is not going to have actual pattern control down that low.

Mac

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 12:35:38 PM »

However, being a small horn it is not going to have actual pattern control down that low.

Mac

Exactly. the pattern of this box is very frequency dependent. The pattern of wider horn may be a better match for the woofers, though, being as it's not trying to exert as much control.

I have a pair of the original JTR 3TX 60x40s. I love them, but they're much wider than the EV MTH1s they replaced. Those were 60x40s that were big enough to actually maintain pattern control.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 12:52:01 PM »

Mac

Yeah i told that to Jeff. He seemed not very interested in what i had to say.

Peter Morris

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 10:14:38 PM »

Yeah i told that to Jeff. He seemed not very interested in what i had to say.

The 3TX is designed to be small, light and powerful. The horn is the full width of the box. If you wanted more pattern control you would need a bigger horn and a bigger box, which sort of defeats the whole concept.

Crossing over at a higher frequency will not change the overall directivity, but if you are not careful it will stop the two 10” drivers playing nicely with each other.  At 450Hz they are getting close to being 1 / 4 of a wave length apart so it all works really nicely.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 10:14:38 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 23 queries.