ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX735 15" driver - Magnet fell off twice in 6 months  (Read 6606 times)

Gary Weller

JBL PRX735 15" driver - Magnet fell off twice in 6 months
« on: August 17, 2015, 01:43:39 PM »

Has anyone heard of any issues with the JBL 15" driver used in the PRX735? A friend has a new pair of PRX735s and one of the cabs has had the magnet on the 15" fall off twice in less than six months. JBL replaced it both times with a new driver and it's only happened to the one box. The other box has had no problems.

Joey Breaux

Re: JBL PRX735 15" driver - Magnet fell off twice in 6 months
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 05:04:11 PM »

I am no longer a fan of JBL. We've had problems with 4 eon 510's, a prx615, and a prx618xlf. JBL customer service was non existent. I already posted my issues here. Search it out if you'd like more info. My next go round will be QSC or Yamaha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 05:14:08 PM »

Are there any pictures of the fractured speaker?  Where did it come apart?

Gary Weller

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 03:38:54 PM »

Are there any pictures of the fractured speaker?  Where did it come apart?

He had a picture on his phone he showed me at a gig, the magnet came off completely from the basket/frame.
The serial number of the "good cab" has an "R" in it that the problem box does not have. He also noticed a small visual difference in the latest replacement JBL sent him, vs the original or the first replacement. He hasn't checked to see if the new replacement matches the driver in the 'good" box.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:45:29 PM by Gary Weller »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 04:31:16 PM »

You said JBL replaced both times. Was it a local repair facility that he went to?... I have heard of authorized JBL repair facilities not using original parts for replacement.
One time - maybe but twice? Unless there was a bad batch and your friend was unlucky enough to get 2 from that same production line... mmmmm...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 04:33:41 PM »

He had a picture on his phone he showed me at a gig, the magnet came off completely from the basket/frame.
The serial number of the "good cab" has an "R" in it that the problem box does not have. He also noticed a small visual difference in the latest replacement JBL sent him, vs the original or the first replacement. He hasn't checked to see if the new replacement matches the driver in the 'good" box.

A phone call to JBL should sort that out.  From the serial number they can tell you if authorized, warranty service was performed, when, and by which service center.

Elsewhere in the Harman Intl sphere of audio, Crown can tell you an amazing amount of information about their products from the s/n, especially if the amp has been back to Crown for service, adjustment or updating.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 04:46:34 PM »

Agreed. The first stop on the road to discovery isn't usually the web. Call JBL with the serial numbers and ask for the history on the box. There's too many questions starting with, are the boxes knock offs, are the "B" stock, and did an authorized repair center use JBL replacement parts or simply glue the old magnets on and re-cone the driver with some Chinese crap. I'll stand by JBL ANY day of the week and regardless of product level, as long as the product is used within specs and as intended by JBL.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 04:59:43 PM »

Agreed. The first stop on the road to discovery isn't usually the web. Call JBL with the serial numbers and ask for the history on the box. There's too many questions starting with, are the boxes knock offs, are the "B" stock, and did an authorized repair center use JBL replacement parts or simply glue the old magnets on and re-cone the driver with some Chinese crap. I'll stand by JBL ANY day of the week and regardless of product level, as long as the product is used within specs and as intended by JBL.
A number of years ago one of the European "alphabet manufacturers" of raw speakers had a bad batch of ceramic magnet "slurry" that resulted in magnets cracking and breaking with very little physical provocation.  I suppose something similar could have happened to JBL... bad batch of adhesive, defective slurry or baking problem.  If it's a genuine JBL product and a genuine defect in manufacturing or fabrication, JBL will stand behind it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 10:48:36 PM »

And if you'll recall I mentioned that in a post some time ago only to have that manufacturer attempt to slap me down. Not a good choice on his part.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Gary Weller

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 02:25:11 AM »

You said JBL replaced both times. Was it a local repair facility that he went to?... I have heard of authorized JBL repair facilities not using original parts for replacement.
One time - maybe but twice? Unless there was a bad batch and your friend was unlucky enough to get 2 from that same production line... mmmmm...

He bought the cabs new from GC, JBL sent him the replacement 15s directly from their supply.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 01:05:57 PM by Gary Weller »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 02:25:11 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.