ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Best recommended weatherproof wall speakers for poolside background music?  (Read 14334 times)

Mitch Philips

I am sure your customer knows 58 costs more than a couple? I assume it is a full service Marriott, JW or Renaissance property?  In my experience they don't cut corners.  12 to 15k is the number and you need a larger amp.  I would reuse the amp and break it up into zones.

This is a JW Marriott property. Along with the main hotel, the property also has several villas with several communal pools to accompany the villas. There is one large communal pool complex and that's the one I am working on. Marriott has their own company that would normally do this kind of installation (probably the same people who did the previous installation) but they would not have been able to come out to the desert and look, assess, and work on it until February.

You say 12-15k? If I decide on which drivers or speakers I should replace the old ones with, and I will price a suitable amplifier accordingly. Then Ill calculate the total and discuss this with management. But I feel like you're around the right numbers.

Robert Healey

You say 12-15k? If I decide on which drivers or speakers I should replace the old ones with, and I will price a suitable amplifier accordingly. Then Ill calculate the total and discuss this with management. But I feel like you're around the right numbers.

12-15k sounds a little low to me. I'd attempt to use the existing conduit and boxes but replace the existing speakers with a weatherized surface mount like this guy: http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/106075-Community-R25-94Z?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=CLCr56uupscCFUWPHwodzG8Heg which looks like it's about 30k in materials for speakers. Probably looking at more like 50-60k total if you really still need 58 speakers - probably will require coverage modeling to determine the final number.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:28:33 AM by Robert Healey »

Scott Hofmann

Scott Hofmann

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

The current model number is D161-8 by Atlas
Those seem to be selling for around $55 ea.

You must be getting a REALLY GOOD DEAL in order to be able to replace 58 of them for $1500, and be able to make a profit on it-AND assuming your labor is extra.

Either that-or my math is really off------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mitch Philips

You must be getting a REALLY GOOD DEAL in order to be able to replace 58 of them for $1500, and be able to make a profit on it-AND assuming your labor is extra.

Ivan,
As stated before, that $2000 (after my cut) was how much they quoted me to replace only a few (3-4) speakers that were completely dead. After inspecting and confronting management about the condition of their system and how the condition was much worse than previously thought. They asked if I would fix the system. I (of course) said yes, but they did not mention a new number.

I am currently waiting on a phone call from them in order to discuss new numbers.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

Ivan,
As stated before, that $2000 (after my cut) was how much they quoted me to replace only a few (3-4) speakers that were completely dead. After inspecting and confronting management about the condition of their system and how the condition was much worse than previously thought. They asked if I would fix the system. I (of course) said yes, but they did not mention a new number.

I am currently waiting on a phone call from them in order to discuss new numbers.
I'm sorry-but that did not appear to be the case in the posts.

It "appeared to me" that you were trying to replace all of them for the original price.

So now it appears as if you have $1500 ish to replace 4 (or speakers). 

THat is a completely different ball game-so to speak
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mitch Philips

So now it appears as if you have $1500 ish to replace 4 (or speakers). 
THat is a completely different ball game-so to speak

Oh I apologize. I thought that was understood. I spoke with management and we agreed on 15k to the entire pool system, which is quite a lot more than just replacing 4 damaged speakers, which was what the $1500 budget was previously for.

Now it's only a matter of deciding what I am going to do with the system. I have some ideas and I will run it past them see what they think about it.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

Oh I apologize. I thought that was understood. I spoke with management and we agreed on 15k to the entire pool system, which is quite a lot more than just replacing 4 damaged speakers, which was what the $1500 budget was previously for.

Now it's only a matter of deciding what I am going to do with the system. I have some ideas and I will run it past them see what they think about it.
It is amazing what you can do when you have an extra "zero" in the budget-----------------

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

I would start with large amplifier.  Get something that is rated at 300w/channel @4 ohms and bridge it (to get 600 watts @ 8 ohms-which is 70V)

Now tap the speakers at 8 watts instead of the 1  or so they SHOULD be tapped at now.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mitch Philips

I would start with large amplifier.  Get something that is rated at 300w/channel @4 ohms and bridge it (to get 600 watts @ 8 ohms-which is 70V)

Now tap the speakers at 8 watts instead of the 1  or so they SHOULD be tapped at now.

I'm still left with the exact same problem. Most of the drivers current are too brittle to handle an increase in usage such as that brought on by getting a new amplifier.

That was the reason this thread started, so I could find suitable replacement drivers (or speakers). The current drivers are extremely weather beaten and are on their way out.

Since I think any "normal" driver would deteriorate under these conditions, I think I am going to invest into a few bigger speakers than invest in many smaller ones. I feel bigger speakers would give better coverage to the entire area as a whole. There will definitely be "dead zones" but that's pretty inevitable at this point.

I could replace 5 of the in-wall speakers with a single speaker in terms of sound quality and coverage.

I was thinking about the Community WET W2-218 for this. They are quite expensive up front, but I feel it will save money not having to replace them every 5 years.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 26 queries.