ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Best recommended weatherproof wall speakers for poolside background music?  (Read 14281 times)

Mitch Philips

Hello! I was recently "tricked" into redoing a large pool complex PA system for a friend's company (they said they wanted me to fix ONE non working speaker). Anyhow, I've had experience installing wall speakers for indoor use. I am not really the best person to ask for weatherproof speakers. The company, a hotel, says they want to keep the current infrastructure, ie don't damage the walls. Their current system consists of 58 Atlas D161-8 speakers built into various walls and pillars. The only problem is, whoever installed them did not use any sort of weather protection on the drivers and they are roached, I would say between 85-97% of the drivers don't work, sound very poor, or are torn.

The pool complex is located in a desert in California where the temperature often reaches 100+. The speakers are directly exposed to sunlight and rain water with no overhang of any kind.

My question is, are there any 8" very weatherproof speaker drivers that you would recommend for this application?

Any help would be appreciated!
These are pictures of what I am working with here, if you're interested: http://imgur.com/a/RRvo5
Thanks!
-Mitch
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 04:51:22 PM by Mitch Philips »

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC

Voice or music? Since you have Atlas- Atlas makes this model- http://www.atlassound.com/flanged-horn-loudspeaker-with-25v707v100v-15w-transformer

Also   http://www.atlassound.com/fa138t167   for music.

-Hal

Mitch Philips

Voice or music? Since you have Atlas- Atlas makes this model- http://www.atlassound.com/flanged-horn-loudspeaker-with-25v707v100v-15w-transformer
Also   http://www.atlassound.com/fa138t167   for music.

Both voice and music. It is preferable that the music sounds decent I do not think the flanged horn would work for the music aspect. The speakers MUST get loud enough to be heard over the sounds of the pool complex (kids screaming, water splashing, waterfalls) for emergency announcements such as pool evacuations. The background music will not get very loud at all. I think the 8" coaxial may work. I want to explore some other options first, if I cannot find anything, I'll go back to the coaxial.

Thanks for your reply

Marcus Baeumler

• Stuttgart Area, Germany

One Systems comes to mind: They have specialized on weather proof speakers.

Maybe this one fits your needs?
http://onesystems.com/products/injection-molded/108cim-lightweight-copolymer-based-all-weather-loudspeaker-system/
Available as 70/100V version as well.

The difference between theory and real life is that in theory there is no difference.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

What sort of budget are you looking at?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mitch Philips

What sort of budget are you looking at?

A budget of around $2,000. However, the hotel said I could use a little more if needed. I already pulled all new cable through so the budget right now is $1500. The amplifier is a 100w University Sound MA1005B (it's a 70v system) but it's in good nick and won't need be to be replaced. No processing is needed as this system will only be used for BGM and emergency announcements.

I would say the biggest expense of this project will be acquiring durable enough drivers.

Thanks for your reply, Ivan.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

A budget of around $2,000. However, the hotel said I could use a little more if needed. I already pulled all new cable through so the budget right now is $1500. The amplifier is a 100w University Sound MA1005B (it's a 70v system) but it's in good nick and won't need be to be replaced. No processing is needed as this system will only be used for BGM and emergency announcements.

I would say the biggest expense of this project will be acquiring durable enough drivers.

"BEST" and 58 weather proof 8" coax drivers for $1500 (I am assuming install is extra?) do not go together.

You are looking at cheap car stuff in that range.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

You do realize that hooking up 58 drivers to a 100 watt amps is around 1.5 watt/driver (assuming normal overhead).

1.5 watts is not going to get much over screaming kids or be able to make loud enough emergency announcements.

I HIGHLY suggest an amp upgrade as well-but there goes the budget

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mitch Philips

You do realize that hooking up 58 drivers to a 100 watt amps is around 1.5 watt/driver (assuming normal overhead).

1.5 watts is not going to get much over screaming kids or be able to make loud enough emergency announcements.

I HIGHLY suggest an amp upgrade as well-but there goes the budget

If you feel like an amp upgrade is necessary, then we will do it. The thing is, due to the sheer amount of speakers, you are never really more than 20 feet from a speaker. However, I will purchase the speakers and adjust the amplifier, if needed.

"BEST" and 58 weather proof 8" coax drivers for $1500 (I am assuming install is extra?) do not go together.

You are looking at cheap car stuff in that range.

$1500 is what the guy said the budget was, not the hotel. The hotel is owned by Marriott so I feel like I could negotiate for a higher budget if I needed it.

I am installing it for very little as it is a fairly simple job.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio

If you feel like an amp upgrade is necessary, then we will do it. The thing is, due to the sheer amount of speakers, you are never really more than 20 feet from a speaker. However, I will purchase the speakers and adjust the amplifier, if needed.

$1500 is what the guy said the budget was, not the hotel. The hotel is owned by Marriott so I feel like I could negotiate for a higher budget if I needed it.

I am installing it for very little as it is a fairly simple job.

You're replacing 58 speakers and the budget for the entire job is $1500? Something doesn't add up here.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.